Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

"And also a big special thank you to David Taylor..."

I love J'den. While I agree with what Taylor said to an extent, I disagree with the delivery. Also noteworthy that Cox says he's going 92kg with the new weights. Not really surprising considering how ****ing massive he is. 

He needed a quick kick in the ass and DT gave him one.  I thought it was brilliant that he had developed great snatch singles that he used effectively early in the tournament.  In my opinion, he struggled having confidence in his knee early in the tournament,  but by the end he was yet another American with a killer single leg.  Our penetration step, with the knee pivot in particular, seems to be working because of our great handfighting.  Good times.

Edited by Peso

He needed a quick kick in the ass and DT gave him one. I thought it was brilliant that he had developed great snatch singles that he used effectively early in the tournament. In my opinion, he struggled having confidence in his knee early in the tournament, but by the end he was yet another American with a killer single leg. Our penetration step, with the knee pivot in particular, seems to be working because of our great handfighting. Good times.

Was just thinking, what are the odds DT's intentions with his tweet was just that. They are obviously close on a personal level (training together, DT helping Cox prepare), wants to coach...

Was just thinking, what are the odds DT's intentions with his tweet was just that. They are obviously close on a personal level (training together, DT helping Cox prepare), wants to coach...

Almost definitely not.  J'den's response doesn't sound all that friendly.  Read his eyes when he says "you need to pray for your heart a little bit" and "hope to see you later".  Hard to see any friendly intent there.

Huge David Taylor fan here, but I absolutely did not like his tweet after the Cox semi final loss.     It comes across as sour grapes.  There was no reason for it.        Cox's response to Taylor was excellent.     He communicated quite a bit with very few words.   Taylor takes a big tumble in my personal favorites list and Cox rises.      Not a goof look for David.   

Almost definitely not. J'den's response doesn't sound all that friendly. Read his eyes when he says "you need to pray for your heart a little bit" and "hope to see you later". Hard to see any friendly intent there.

I'll take your word. Didn't see the interview nor the match. Was just speculating. However Cox's statement doesn't really speak at all to DT's intent. Again just speculating, devils advocate maybe.

Edited by Lurker

Have you ever had a coach tell you your performance made then sick? And meant it in a constructive way? That's not good practice for a coaching career if that was somehow his intent.

Yes I have, and sometimes things you might say was worse. And it was good practice, he knew different ways to push different athletes buttons...

Yes I have, and sometimes things you might say was worse. And it was good practice, he knew different ways to push different athletes buttons...

if you have that was a chitty coach. Yes you do have to have different approaches for different people, but that shouldn't be one of them.

if you have that was a chitty coach. Yes you do have to have different approaches for different people, but that shouldn't be one of them.

Sorry but he was actually a great coach, hall of fame member who was very much revered by his athletes and their families, respected by almost everyone who knew. Sorry, not a chitty coach at all.

We're way too soft if that's such a bad thing.

Edited by Lurker

Sorry but he was actually a great coach, hall of fame member who was very much revered by his athletes and their families, respected by almost everyone who knew. Sorry, not a chitty coach at all.

Were way too soft if that's such a bad thing.

NEVER had a wrestler who thought I was a "soft" coach........ and would NEVER use that approach.... agree to disagree....chitty.............. and no one looked forward to wrestling a team I coached.. we came to wrestle.

Edited by AKHUNTER

Huge David Taylor fan here, but I absolutely did not like his tweet after the Cox semi final loss. It comes across as sour grapes. There was no reason for it. Cox's response to Taylor was excellent. He communicated quite a bit with very few words. Taylor takes a big tumble in my personal favorites list and Cox rises. Not a goof look for David.

Well said, @Cletus, I agree with everything you said except I did think it was a goof look for David. 🤣

NEVER had a wrestler who thought I was a "soft" coach........ and would NEVER use that approach.... agree to disagree....chitty.............. and no one looked forward to wrestling a team I coached.. we came to wrestle.

None of what you wrote relates at all to my point. Just because it's not your style doesn't mean the guy was a ****ty coach. He knew my "button" was to piss me off. He knew I wouldn't get all sensitive and butt hurt with a comment like that, but instead get a little more fired up. I competed better when I was a little more pissed off. But he also knew others wouldn't respond the same way, so he took a different approach. Then there were others with whom he had to take a different approach. I'm not going to agree to disagree about whether or not he was a ****ty coach, because we are talking about a man you have no idea of and have no expereice with. You have nothing to disagree with.

When I say we're soft, I'm not talking about your athletes. Talking about society. The fact that I had a coach who told me my performance was sickening, when it was, is so offensive to people is proof of that. "Safe spaces". Safe spaces don't help you move forward. Being told the truth and held accountable does. Sorry but in life you get your feelings hurt, you feel pain, you lose, you make mistakes, sometimes you don't do things to the best of your ability. And the less you're held accountable for it, the less you will progress. That's the reality of life. A reality we are slowing trying to chip away at so everyone can always feel comfortable. You don't get anywhere always feeling comfortable, without having things happen that wipe the smile off your face and make you buckle down a little. If he'd slap me or anyone across the face, derogatory and humiliating in front of large crowds, Something like that, I'd have a different take, but that's not what we are talking about here. We're talking about a situation(s) of telling an athlete you put a large part of your life into the truth.

So no, not going to just agree to disagree when you have no clue what you're talking about. That's too much of an easy out. Especially when you want to slide in one more "chitty" after suggesting we do so.

Have a good day.

Edited by Lurker