Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

97 Kilo Bracket

Snyder on top, Sadulaev on the bottom.

Snyder has a first round pass and then meets Ibragimov of Kazakhstan in the second round. Ibragimov finished eighth at last year's Olympics.

In the quarters Kyle will see either the Japanese wrestler, Ulzisaikhan from Mongolia or Ceban from Moldova. Though long in the tooth, Ceban is the most seasoned of the three, but none of them are, on paper, a threat to KSnyd.

The semis look to be a showdown with this year's European champ, Riza Yildirim from Turkey. There really is no one else down there with even that one solid win.

The bottom has Dr. (or Wrestling) Sadulaev meeting Cuba's Salas Perez in the first round. Salas Perez ran off a bronze and two silvers from 2010-14, all down at 86. However unlikely, it is not impossible for Sads to be upset here.

In the second round, Sads will dismantle one of two very young and unexperienced wrestlers in the Pol or the Dominican.

On to the quarters, it's going to come down to two-timw World bronze medalist Olinyk from Ukraine or the guy who placed fifth the last three years in Odikadze from Georgia. I'm going with Odikadze here, but not as any threat to Abdul "The Punisher" Sadulaev.

Moving on to the semis, Sads' competition isn't terribly impressive to date. His opponents are among old man Geogie Ketoev, two-time defending World Cup champ Amir Mohammadi from Iran or 2016 Olympic bronze medalist from Uzbekistan, Magomed Ibragimov. I'm going with the Uzbek wrestler here. I don't believe that any of these guys have the horsepower to upset the man of the hour.

Projections:

1. Sadulaev

2. Snyder

3. Salas Perez

3. Yildirim

I know, not a stretch here, but this weight appears to be pretty damn thin this year.

Snyder on top, Sadulaev on the bottom.

Snyder has a first round pass and then meets Ibragimov of Kazakhstan in the second round. Ibragimov finished eighth at last year's Olympics.

In the quarters Kyle will see either the Japanese wrestler, Ulzisaikhan from Mongolia or Ceban from Moldova. Though long in the tooth, Ceban is the most seasoned of the three, but none of them are, on paper, a threat to KSnyd.

The semis look to be a showdown with this year's European champ, Riza Yildirim from Turkey. There really is no one else down there with even that one solid win.

The bottom has Dr. (or Wrestling) Sadulaev meeting Cuba's Salas Perez in the first round. Salas Perez ran off a bronze and two silvers from 2010-14, all down at 86. However unlikely, it is not impossible for Sads to be upset here.

In the second round, Sads will dismantle one of two very young and unexperienced wrestlers in the Pol or the Dominican.

On to the quarters, it's going to come down to two-timw World bronze medalist Olinyk from Ukraine or the guy who placed fifth the last three years in Odikadze from Georgia. I'm going with Odikadze here, but not as any threat to Abdul "The Punisher" Sadulaev.

Moving on to the semis, Sads' competition isn't terribly impressive to date. His opponents are among old man Geogie Ketoev, two-time defending World Cup champ Amir Mohammadi from Iran or 2016 Olympic bronze medalist from Uzbekistan, Magomed Ibragimov. I'm going with the Uzbek wrestler here. I don't believe that any of these guys have the horsepower to upset the man of the hour.

Projections:

1. Sadulaev

2. Snyder

3. Salas Perez

3. Yildirim

I know, not a stretch here, but this weight appears to be pretty damn thin this year.

Thin after the two Olympic champs, and the multiple time world medalist. Outside of those 3 no one has credentials.

Thin after the two Olympic champs, and the multiple time world medalist. Outside of those 3 no one has credentials.

Ibragimov of Uzbekistan has an Olympic bronze, and Ketoev has some things to talk about... from more than 10 years ago.

In terms of how thin the weights are...

I'd say 57, 74, 70, 86, and 125 are all thinner than 97. It's true that 97kg isn't going 8 medalists deep like in some years past, but the two best wrestlers in the entire tournament (in my opinion) are at this weight.  

Edited by Billyhoyle