• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

The 125 finals match was the match of the tournament so far.  Akgul and Petriashvili are head and shoulders above the rest of the field at the weight.  Both are giant and extraordinarily athletic, and should have some awesome battles going forward.

Did we just witness a changing of the guard, or was that just a hangover from the Olympics for Akgul?

#2 Hubbard

Hubbard

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

Too close a match for a changing of the guard.  They both can beat each other.  Akgul is going until 2020 and then retiring.

#3 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

Incredible performance. Both guys fought until the end. Both are exciting, especially for heavyweights. They are in their own tier.

#4 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

Can't wait for this: https://twitter.com/...099769547952129

Edited by Billyhoyle, 25 August 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#5 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

For one thing it looks like Geno isn't intimidated at all by Akgul. Actually Petriashvili is taller than Akgul, lumberjack strong and looks like he has a better gas tank than Akgul. They can both score points and Geno has a killer leglace too. I thought Akgul was the heavy favorite going into Paris but Geno ended up having a wonderful tournament.

Gwiz had a great tournament as well. He came right out of the gate and put up nice points and nice W's until he ran into Akgul in the semis. Akgul looked like an Olympic and World champ against Gwiz with that slick leg sweep (wonder if that was inspired by KOR's last gasp attempt vs Akgul in an earlier match that day) to start and then finished with the tech.

Then Nick comes back strong and wins the bronze medal.

I love how all 3 of these HWT's wrestle. Another real fun weight class.

#6 Axe_Spartan

Axe_Spartan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

I think we have a great rivalry between them and I feel they will split matches on the next ones, specially seeing how close the score is when they wrestle. They are amazing, not that typical heavyweight who doesn't shoot, both of them are constantly on their opponents legs.

For one thing it looks like Geno isn't intimidated at all by Akgul. Actually Petriashvili is taller than Akgul, lumberjack strong and looks like he has a better gas tank than Akgul. They can both score points and Geno has a killer leglace too. I thought Akgul was the heavy favorite going into Paris but Geno ended up having a wonderful tournament.

Gwiz had a great tournament as well. He came right out of the gate and put up nice points and nice W's until he ran into Akgul in the semis. Akgul looked like an Olympic and World champ against Gwiz with that slick leg sweep (wonder if that was inspired by KOR's last gasp attempt vs Akgul in an earlier match that day) to start and then finished with the tech.

Then Nick comes back strong and wins the bronze medal.

I love how all 3 of these HWT's wrestle. Another real fun weight class.

Just saw that match today, I just have to say wow, Akgul scored 5 takedowns on Gwiz, being one of them that slick leg sweep.

Edited by Axe_Spartan, 17 October 2017 - 01:00 PM.

From Brazil

Twitter: https://twitter.com/sonsofMMA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users