Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Burroughs Draw

I wouldn't day brutal. IIRC, the only guy in this weight who owns a win over him is Bekzod and we all know the deal with that. Yes, it'll be a tough tournament, but not brutal.

Very few people own wins over Burroughs.  It's a tough draw because every single match will be a battle, and he very well may lose to somebody worse than him due to lack of rest.  First round he drew a 2X world medalist who he almost got into a fist fight with a couple years ago.  Second round likely a world silver medalist.  Then he has Peyman, who has a brutal pace in the quarters.  After that, in the semis is Bekzod (as you point out the only person to won a win over him).  This is one of the toughest paths he could have drawn.  

My opinion of Burroughs since 2015 is that he no longer has the unworldly first step. He is still plenty quick but those super fast reflexes are the first thing to go. He is not over the hill, but it is the difference between being great and very good. He still has the grit and savvy to compete on a world class level, but the matches are going to be much closer and he can easily fall victim to a lapse or being on the raw end of a 50/50 call. I said on the other thread that intuitively I think he just might have another run in him, but realistically and against this draw he will have to string together nail biters to make the finals.   

Shabanau/ov, JB's first round match, is a former World medalist (bronze in 2014 at 70 kilos), but hasn't impressed that much since then.

Takatani should smoke Grigoryan and face JB in the second round. Takatani is a World silver medalist from back in 2014 when he lost to... JORDAN BURROUGHS! Since then Takatani has been good, but not great.

The quarter finals could feature 2014 Junior World champ Khadjiev of France. They met at the Dogu last year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi1VDXGCtls) and it looked dicy for a short amount of time for JB. Khadjiev should work his way through Yaramahdi, whom JB smashed 11-2 at the 2016 BTS. Mykhailov from Ukraine should be Khadjiev's opponent opponent, but won't pose him any threats and neither should offer JB a lot of trouble.

In the semis it's going to be either Bekzod A from Uzbekistan or Azcuy from Cuba. Azcuy has two World and one Olympic bronze, as well as a World silver. All that happened between 2011 and 2014. Bekzod, as we all know, teched JB in the repechage last year and has a World bronze from 2014 and placed fifth at the Olympics last year. Both can cause issues for Mr. Burroughs.

The other side of the bracket has (potentially) 2014 World Champ Khetik Tsabolov from Russia meeting multiple-time World medalist Yabrail Hasanov from Azerbaijan in the quarterfinals. I'll take Tsabolov these day. The toughest guy coming from the top half of the top bracket is Soener Demirtas from Turkey. A Euro champ the last two years and an Olympic bronze medalist in 2016, he has no one else ready to face him before the semis.

The quarter finals could feature 2014 Junior World champ Khadjiev of France. They met at the Dogu last year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi1VDXGCtls) and it looked dicy for a short amount of time for JB. Khadjiev should work his way through Yaramahdi, whom JB smashed 11-2 at the 2016 BTS. Mykhailov from Ukraine should be Khadjiev's opponent opponent, but won't pose him any threats and neither should offer JB a lot of trouble.

Do you think Khadjiev will be able to beat Peyman?  Should be one of the better first round matches.  

Shabanau/ov, JB's first round match, is a former World medalist (bronze in 2014 at 70 kilos), but hasn't impressed that much since then.

Takatani should smoke Grigoryan and face JB in the second round. Takatani is a World silver medalist from back in 2014 when he lost to... JORDAN BURROUGHS! Since then Takatani has been good, but not great.

In the semis it's going to be either Bekzod A from Uzbekistan or Azcuy from Cuba. Azcuy has two World and one Olympic bronze, as well as a World silver. All that happened between 2011 and 2014. Bekzod, as we all know, teched JB in the repechage last year and has a World bronze from 2014 and placed fifth at the Olympics last year. Both can cause issues for Mr. Burroughs.

The other side of the bracket has (potentially) 2014 World Champ Khetik Tsabolov from Russia meeting multiple-time World medalist Yabrail Hasanov from Azerbaijan in the quarterfinals. I'll take Tsabolov these day. The toughest guy coming from the top half of the top bracket is Soener Demirtas from Turkey. A Euro champ the last two years and an Olympic bronze medalist in 2016, he has no one else ready to face him before the semis.

Excellent analysis

Man, that shot by Khadjiev at about the 1:15 mark was very Burroughs-esque.  I haven't followed for a while but it seems a lot of these guys are ready to fight fire with fire.  I have faith in JB, I hope he has a few more tricks up his sleeve.  It'll break my heart if he doesn't bring home some hardware, I feel like Team USA is where it is today because of him.  Best of luck tomorrow, boys! 

Do you think Khadjiev will be able to beat Peyman?  Should be one of the better first round matches.  

It'll be great and I think you're referring to the 3-2 win Burroughs had over Peyman at the World Cup. That dude keeps excellent position, except for when he's trying to club a dude's head. He keeps coming up out of position  when he is making effort to do damage. I do believe that Khadjiev can take advantage of that and steal a win from the Iranian. That said, it could go the other way, but I see this one being close and agree with you that it will be one of the better first round matches.

It'll be great and I think you're referring to the 3-2 win Burroughs had over Peyman at the World Cup. That dude keeps excellent position, except for when he's trying to club a dude's head. He keeps coming up out of position when he is making effort to do damage. I do believe that Khadjiev can take advantage of that and steal a win from the Iranian. That said, it could go the other way, but I see this one being close and agree with you that it will be one of the better first round matches.

Good call on Khadjiev

Thank you, sir.

Here are my predictions:

1. Burroughs

2. Tsabolov

3. Azcuy

3. Demirtas

Azcuy got thrashed by Bekzod. Damn him! I think B-zod takes the bronze in a tight one with Khadjiev in the repechage. Though, as much as I like Bekzod and his brother, I think it'd be cool to see Khadjiev earn a medal for himself and France. We could use more non-traditional wrestling nations earning medals.