Sign in to follow this  
jcjcjc

Burroughs lateral movement

Was the circling and downblocking in the Burroughs v Khadijiev match the prettiest thing you saw today? 

We all talk about how Jordan's double has vanished, but his direction changes and lateral movement from a bearcrawl/downblock is the best of anyone ever. Double legs are great, but what gets you double legs? I feel like we should be talking about that instead of a move, but as Americans we talk about results instead of process too much. 

Burroughs and Cox play a different game than most wrestlers. It's a better game. 

I have been talking about his technical wrestling abilities for years. I was all over that for the World Cup and versus Fake. His athleticism hid his technical stuff. Even when he could pull the trigger he could chain it into par Terre points. A nasty lace. A mis direction single, head slap to throw others off their game, lots of weapons in his kit.

Edited by sgallan

I like how you said, "his athleticism hid his tech[nique]." 

You can't coach his athleticism other than physical training, but we can coach for increased awareness in bearcrawl/downblock position. I always remind myself that bearcrawl is the only position you do in all three folkstyle facets: top, down, neutral. 

My intuition was pretty good here. Something told me he would have a run. He was behind in every match and came back but he definitely looked better. The whole US team has looked good. They look quick.  This version of JB can get caught in a 50/50 match and lose a toss up. But with only one march left probabilities go out the window. So my prediction. JB loses the gold medal match. Why? No rational reason whatsoever. Just my intuition has been good so I'll ride it although this one may be a bridge too far. I'll ride it right off a cliff. :)

Edited by straggler

My intuition was pretty good here. Something told me he would have a run. He was behind in every match and came back but he definitely looked better. The whole US team has looked good. They look quick.  This version of JB can get caught in a 50/50 match and lose a toss up. But with only one march left probabilities go out the window. So my prediction. JB loses the gold medal match. Why? No rational reason whatsoever. Just my intuition has been good so I'll ride it although this one may be a bridge too far. I'll ride it right off a cliff. :)

If you are approaching a cliff, you should implement the lateral movement Burroughs is so good at. 

His double only fires late after he controls ties and position. This is different then when he would tap the head, front a lot, and of course those out wicking his opposition on reshots. He gives up more now, is way more offense oriented, and works off of ties a lot more. Much more interesting to watch.