straggler

Jordan Burroughs

Time to expound on one of my favorite subjects, the World Champion Jordan Burroughs. I have to admit I have been hard on the guy, so credit where credit is due. The man is as mentally tough as you will find.

Now that last part is interesting given how badly I roasted him for the Rio meltdown. I have and will rail against our qualifying system, although maybe I should let David Taylor take over that department. But one area where Burroughs has had a clear advantage over Dake in their matchups is in mental toughness. Challengers like Dake do have something legitimate to complain about, but it's the reality and you have to suck it up and not let it get to you. Burroughs was an expert at twisting the knife.

But that was primary reason why I was so bullish that Burroughs would lose in Rio. In match one of their 2015 matchup Burroughs could not get to Dake's legs at all. I have said my piece about the scoring in that match, but it seemed clear to me that Burroughs was starting to lose that unworldly first step. Even Burroughs admits he has slowed down. That does not mean he is old or slow. He is still fast. Just there is a difference between being fast and being Usain Bolt, which is how I would describe Burroughs circa 2011.

Fast forward to the trials in 2016. That unworldly first step is gone, but so are any of the wrestlers that could have pushed Burroughs. Both Dake and Taylor were off on an 86kg adventure. Given the format and the limited talent left in the weight, this meant that Burroughs was not tested and not afforded any chance to readjust his approach in competition. And so I thought there was a huge chance JB would get into a match where his opponent had stopped his standard offense and he would not have a plan b. 

That is where I thought it would be left, that his gold medal days were over. But then a funny thing happened that I did not appreciate. Dake dropped back down to 74kg and for the first time since 2011 Burroughs was in a real fight. Having to claw his way back against legitimate competition gave Burroughs the opportunity to readjust that the lead up to Rio did not. And to his immense credit he did. He had a plan b and a plan c. He looked better.   

So there you have it. The Jordan Burroughs era is going to stay with us for a while longer.

Burroughs made it very clear that he hasn't declined nearly as much as many (including myself) believed.  He has always wrestled 1 point matches with the best in the weight (at first it was Tsargush), so the loss to Geduev wasn't really THAT big of a surprise.  I think his loss to Aze was the biggest letdown for me last year, but I'm starting to think now that the guy is just very good. He is much better than he was when he wrestled at Clarion, and is undoubtedly one of the best at the weight.  

Burroughs mental toughness and mat awareness used to overcome his 'declining' speed is interesting. He earned this one without that first step no one could see or stop. Strategy, toughness and mat smarts came to the fore and he showed he has what it takes.

Congratulations to him on his win. He showed us he may have lost a step but has gained the knowledge needed to win no matter what.

Burroughs made it very clear that he hasn't declined nearly as much as many (including myself) believed.  He has always wrestled 1 point matches with the best in the weight (at first it was Tsargush), so the loss to Geduev wasn't really THAT big of a surprise.  I think his loss to Aze was the biggest letdown for me last year, but I'm starting to think now that the guy is just very good. He is much better than he was when he wrestled at Clarion, and is undoubtedly one of the best at the weight.  

UZB btw.  Bekzod is a stud and surprised a lot of people, including me.  One of my favorite internationals.  

Time to expound on one of my favorite subjects, the World Champion Jordan Burroughs. I have to admit I have been hard on the guy, so credit where credit is due. The man is as mentally tough as you will find.

Now that last part is interesting given how badly I roasted him for the Rio meltdown. I have and will rail against our qualifying system, although maybe I should let David Taylor take over that department. But one area where Burroughs has had a clear advantage over Dake in their matchups is in mental toughness. Challengers like Dake do have something legitimate to complain about, but it's the reality and you have to suck it up and not let it get to you. Burroughs was an expert at twisting the knife.

But that was primary reason why I was so bullish that Burroughs would lose in Rio. In match one of their 2015 matchup Burroughs could not get to Dake's legs at all. I have said my piece about the scoring in that match, but it seemed clear to me that Burroughs was starting to lose that unworldly first step. Even Burroughs admits he has slowed down. That does not mean he is old or slow. He is still fast. Just there is a difference between being fast and being Usain Bolt, which is how I would describe Burroughs circa 2011.

Fast forward to the trials in 2016. That unworldly first step is gone, but so are any of the wrestlers that could have pushed Burroughs. Both Dake and Taylor were off on an 86kg adventure. Given the format and the limited talent left in the weight, this meant that Burroughs was not tested and not afforded any chance to readjust his approach in competition. And so I thought there was a huge chance JB would get into a match where his opponent had stopped his standard offense and he would not have a plan b.

That is where I thought it would be left, that his gold medal days were over. But then a funny thing happened that I did not appreciate. Dake dropped back down to 74kg and for the first time since 2011 Burroughs was in a real fight. Having to claw his way back against legitimate competition gave Burroughs the opportunity to readjust that the lead up to Rio did not. And to his immense credit he did. He had a plan b and a plan c. He looked better.

Very well said

So there you have it. The Jordan Burroughs era is going to stay with us for a while longer.

Burroughs mental toughness and mat awareness used to overcome his 'declining' speed is interesting. He earned this one without that first step no one could see or stop. Strategy, toughness and mat smarts came to the fore and he showed he has what it takes.

Congratulations to him on his win. He showed us he may have lost a step but has gained the knowledge needed to win no matter what.

True grit.

He was determined to get back to the top of the podium.

A very impressive display of will power!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just a random thought, but still get a big kick out of Burroughs and Snyder voluntarily running that steep mountain cog trail in Colorado. Looks like it paid some dividends this year.   :D 

Was trying to search those videos on Flo but couldn't find them.    :(

I love how he comes across as a humble, yet very articulate, and confident leader.  I have a hard time seeing anyone that this team would follow into war more that JB.  What an amazing human being, that can also wrestle a little.

Been a JB fan since his days at Nebraska being I'm a NJ guy too.  Don't like all he does but gets high marks in most all he does.

I predicted the downfall in Rio.  Saw it on his face the moment he walked in the arena for his first match.  Too much pressure.  He spent too much time with endorsements and building his brand.  He didn't have the best advisors or someone to tell him his focus was off going into Rio.  He did the Tiger Woods mistake (laid claim to surpassing Jack Nicklaus) where JB laid claim to pass Smith.  Big mistake when you do that.  You'll never see Snyder say what he's shooting for.  

Read his recent blog?  He seems to have been humbled, learned his lesson and rebounded very well.  So psyched he came back and won a world gold again.  Sign of a true champion to come back from defeat.

Unreal how the naysayers wrote him off after 1 loss last summer - too old, too slow.  Yes, to a degree but that was more a mental loss (2 actually) last summer.  And JB bought into the press and posters.  Still talks about Rio and himself being old.  Wish he'd let Rio go and stop talking about his age and just continue what he's doing, adjust as needed and take 1 year at a time.

Think he has at least 1 or 2 World's in him yet, not sure about Tokyo though would be the greatest win ever and a cap to an awesome career.

Edited by josephe

Been a JB fan since his days at Nebraska being I'm a NJ guy too.  Don't like all he does but gets high marks in most all he does.

I predicted the downfall in Rio.  Saw it on his face the moment he walked in the arena for his first match.  Too much pressure.  He spent too much time with endorsements and building his brand.  He didn't have the best advisors or someone to tell him his focus was off going into Rio.  He did the Tiger Woods mistake (laid claim to surpassing Jack Nicklaus) where JB laid claim to pass Smith.  Big mistake when you do that.  You'll never see Snyder say what he's shooting for.  

Read his recent blog?  He seems to have been humbled, learned his lesson and rebounded very well.  So psyched he came back and won a world gold again.  Sign of a true champion to come back from defeat.

Unreal how the naysayers wrote him off after 1 loss last summer - too old, too slow.  Yes, to a degree but that was more a mental loss (2 actually) last summer.  And JB bought into the press and posters.  Still talks about Rio and himself being old.  Wish he'd let Rio go and stop talking about his age and just continue what he's doing, adjust as needed and take 1 year at a time.

Think he has at least 1 or 2 World's in him yet, not sure about Tokyo though would be the greatest win ever and a cap to an awesome career.

Or he just lost to a very, very good wrestler Geduev.  Just watch this highlight.  Dude is incredible.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUDT__wJclo

His second loss was an anomaly.  He not only lost the chance at gold but 500k.  After that everyone wrote him off.  I rewatched his first gold on flo the other day and was surprised to see that IMO he didn't look all that more explosive or quick than he did this year.  I know he himself has said he's lost a bit but it didn't look like it to me.

I notice the difference, the lost step. It's subtle, but young JB used to be able to double anyone at any given time. Old JB has to be more tactical and tire a really good guy out to do the same now.

Some have commented on his conditioning. Of course, he's very well-conditioned, but I think his stamina is more a function of pacing himself well and becoming very economical in his movement, more so than when he was younger. He now starts matches against elite guys a bit more measured and cautious, and he wastes very litttle energy moving his opponent around or feinting compared to before. That he seems to turn it on and win in the second period is not a coincidence.

How brave of you to admit that you were wrong... yet somehow you still manage to give Dake more credit for Burroughs' win than the man himself.  

giphy.gif

I notice the difference, the lost step. It's subtle, but young JB used to be able to double anyone at any given time. Old JB has to be more tactical and tire a really good guy out to do the same now.

Some have commented on his conditioning. Of course, he's very well-conditioned, but I think his stamina is more a function of pacing himself well and becoming very economical in his movement, more so than when he was younger. He now starts matches against elite guys a bit more measured and cautious, and he wastes very litttle energy moving his opponent around or feinting compared to before. That he seems to turn it on and win in the second period is not a coincidence.

I fully agree. While he hit some VERY vintage JB blast doubles this past championship, you can see they are far fewer than before. Like in 2015 championships, he hit a much higher rate of his snaps to low singles or snaps to go behinds. Maybe opposition scouting, older body, neck injury(?), or a mixture. Someone else here said it- he operates from close range ties a lot more now, and can create his offense from it which is super fun to watch.

Young JB didn't have the equivalent of a barn hinge and screws in his ankle either

Thanks for posting manyak.

Wow, we've all talked about JB's blast double, his quickness, power, gas tank, etc, but that little video clip really shows his expertise as a technician. All sorts of fluid and precise transitions right into points. Just beautiful.

(And we didn't even see his takedown to leglace transition in that clip!)   

I don't get all the analysis on this guy losing a step. He looked fast as greased lightening at Worlds. He is tough as hell and incredible. He lost by 1 point to a most likely juiced to the gills Geduev and had a rough time after that loss.  This year back to the same old guy.

Look back at all of his history and he has countless close matches that he has won at the end or came from behind to win. Its a great story that he has made all of these adjustments and all, well of course he has because he has to! He is probably the most frequently watched athlete in Wrestling history so of course others will adapt their game to him.

Absolutely amazing wrestler. Hes waaaaay better now than he was before in all aspects of his game. There are some freakin mad scientist coaches out there that can coach against anyone's style. This obviously has happened with Burroughs and he still is unreal. No way has he lost a step. Its a great move by him to "play possum" but I do not believe it for a second. He is a stone killer and at his absolute best. And his best may just make some other guys be better than him. That is how it works sometimes.

Either way, to me he is like watching the 85 Bears, Jordan Bulls, Tom Brady, etc. It will end at some point but what an amazing run and an absolute treat to witness. Being in person at his Gold in London was the coolest fan sports fan experience I have ever had.

Edited by Illifornia

Just a random thought, but still get a big kick out of Burroughs and Snyder voluntarily running that steep mountain cog trail in Colorado. Looks like it paid some dividends this year.   :D 

Was trying to search those videos on Flo but couldn't find them.    :(

Am not familiar with their training regimens. Would say they harken back to the Danny Gable training methods and determination?

Not sure if Gable was running that trail too. Probably

Am not familiar with their training regimens. Would say they harken back to the Danny Gable training methods and determination?

Not sure, did Dan Gable run that cog trail too?

Anyway looks like a tremendous workout. Thought those videos of Jordan and Kyle at the trail were very cool.

I don't get all the analysis on this guy losing a step. He looked fast as greased lightening at Worlds. He is tough as hell and incredible. He lost by 1 point to a most likely juiced to the gills Geduev and had a rough time after that loss. This year back to the same old guy.

Look back at all of his history and he has countless close matches that he has won at the end or came from behind to win. Its a great story that he has made all of these adjustments and all, well of course he has because he has to! He is probably the most frequently watched athlete in Wrestling history so of course others will adapt their game to him.

Absolutely amazing wrestler. Hes waaaaay better now than he was before in all aspects of his game. There are some freakin mad scientist coaches out there that can coach against anyone's style. This obviously has happened with Burroughs and he still is unreal. No way has he lost a step. Its a great move by him to "play possum" but I do not believe it for a second. He is a stone killer and at his absolute best. And his best may just make some other guys be better than him. That is how it works sometimes.

Either way, to me he is like watching the 85 Bears, Jordan Bulls, Tom Brady, etc. It will end at some point but what an amazing run and an absolute treat to witness. Being in person at his Gold in London was the coolest fan sports fan experience I have ever had.

Guy lost a step and relies on being a really good wrestler with a lot of reading athleticism. What I don't understand is why losing a little here and there, and getting better for it is a bad thing. Seriously, he is a different wrestler and better for it. You seem to be saying that any weakness is evicerating him. I disagree, I think it made him better. Silly American wrestling mentality, going with athleticism over actual wrestling. The reason Iranian love Burroughs so much is they get wrestling, all of it, not just a black guy is athletic. Yeah, I said it.

Well it's only natural to see a wrestler or any athlete for that matter, evolve, make changes or adjustments to how they compete. If you listen to some of the Kyle Snyder's interviews, he often talks about making adjustments against various opponents. So there is no doubt in my mind that after Rio, JB, had to sit down and reanalyze, on how he was going to move forward, and with his success in Paris, he obviously made the right decisions.

And additionally about JB, he is one of our all time greats, and it has been a great experience to have watched him all these years.