Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

Hugging your opponent after match

You see it quite often, with the exception of Kyle Snyder.  Rarely does he show any affection towards his opponent.  I was expecting a big embrace after the Sadulaev match, but nothing.  I dont think it is a bad thing either, just an observation.  Snyder is one bad dude!  

He patted Sadulaev on the back when the clock wound out and Sadulaev immediately collapsed to the mat--no real chance for a warm embrace.  After initial celebration, Snyder jogged over and gave the Russian coach a handshake.  He was classy the whole way.

I dont doubt his classiness at all.  I am just saying that he is not warm to his opponent.  Notice his handshake with the coach was a hand slap not a true hand shake.  Again, I am not being critical at all, just observing his post match.  He is all business even after the match ends.  

Edited by jeffr_ideal

I dont doubt his classiness at all.  I am just saying that he is not warm to his opponent.  Notice his handshake with the coach was a hand slap not a true hand shake.  Again, I am not being critical at all, just observing his post match.  He is all business even after the match ends.  

I don't care for the hand slap--I think it's disrespectful.  But I didn't see Snyder as trying to diss the Russian coach.  Just running over to acknowledge him was, I think, a solid gesture.

The man-hug is cultural.  I greet all friends with a hug and send them off with one.  You could say it's an Armenian thing, but many other cultures do the same, even throwing in a kiss on the cheek.  Might be cheesy by our standards, but all is relative to the customs you were raised with.  That said, two great champions put on a hell of a hug-worthy show.

My son and I just watched the match and I kept talking to him about how these guys are sportsman of the highest order. They respect one another and their skill sets and hold one another in high regard. Another guy at that weight whom I always loved watching compete because he comes off as a grade a human being is Reza Yazdani. Loved the sport, but always acted with humility and decency towards his opponents. I miss that in this sport.

Iran has the best sportsmanship of any team.

in Iran, you are taught to value sportsmanship more than the actual result of the contest.  The great Takhti is still revered for his great sportsmanship, although his results were not too shabby.

One of the reasons that big Bruce and the late Schutlz were so popular in Iran was because of their sportsmanship.

Jadidi and Talaei somehow missed class the day they taught sportsmanship.  I remember watching a match when Talaie lost a controversial match, and did not want to hand his opponent's hand after the match.  Dabir and Khadem were yelling at him, and the TV announcer was shocked and appalled.  He finally shook his opponent's hand.

Edited by irani

He patted Sadulaev on the back when the clock wound out and Sadulaev immediately collapsed to the mat--no real chance for a warm embrace. After initial celebration, Snyder jogged over and gave the Russian coach a handshake. He was classy the whole way.

Not so sure he ran in the direction of the Russian coach for a handshake. Wrestlers are obliged to exit from their opponents' corner of the mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so sure he ran in the direction of the Russian coach for a handshake. Wrestlers are obliged to exit from their opponents' corner of the mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is he could have run by the coach and not acknowledged him.  Having worked the Olympics in '96, I can say that the guys pretty much exit wherever they want despite the protocol.