Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Pico Updates?

September and going the usual route, work your way up. If this weekend proved anything you need game in the style you are fighting. Even the gifted ones can't just cross over to somebody really good, and expect to win.

Pico's has an opponent for the end of the month. 7-3 Justin Linn and its at 145. From what I can see quickly Linn does a lot of fakes and kicks from standup. He doesn't look to shy about throw hands wildly from the opening bell so hopefully Pico remembers to put some head and foot movement together this time. And with 4 submission wins Linn at least is aware enough on the ground to take advantage of an oppertunities if it presents itself.

Edited by MadMardigain

Pico bounces back with a 1st round nasty KO win against 7-3 (now 4) Justin Linn. Pico still took some decent shots to the head during stand up, but he showed better head movement and strike defense than in his first fight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2017/9/23/16356138/aaron-pico-delivers-in-second-fight-with-devastating-ko-of-justin-linn-at-bellator-183

Any update on who he will be fighting?

You will be very disappointed to learn the rookie took on a 10 fight veteran with 7 wins in the cage, and slaughtered the kid.    It was a nice go for a couple minutes with Pico throwing from the pocket (his opponent as well) and a couple take downs when the situation presented itself.  Ultimately Pico landed a technically perfect left hook and put the man to sleep while he still stood (he immediately crumbled).  It appeared like man vs boy out there.    

I'm surprised at how easily he gets hit.  For a guy with his extensive striking background, fighting low end MMA guys, he sure doesn't look super polished on his feet.  Strong kid, athletic...but nowhere near elite level MMA at this point.

A guy like Edgar would take him apart.

Noticed that too, but is it possible that was the game plan to get the opening?

Well after what happened in his first fight it shouldn't be the plan. I think Pico's just has such a forward minded attack style that he doesn't get concerned with the other fighters attack. In away that's attack style os good if it keeps your opponent backing up and trying to survive. But at this level of MMA he's going to get rocked by some great strikers and guys who can counter well if he just going forward and only focusing on what he is doing. Untalize his head/foot movement, fakes, slips, blocks, and counters better will cause him to avoid many of those solid shots he seems walk into. All things I'm such he's been Taught well in practice but hasn't had a chance to fully work into his game in the cage since he skipped the high level amature and second tier pro divisions. Hopefully time will cure that because with the investment Bellator has made into him he's going to start fighting some solid opponents once he gets another win or two under his belt against these semi-successful guys.

A good striker with the ability to stuff shots would be a major problem for him right now.

During the broadcast they list his trainers, one elite guy after another, and he's eating punches from a guy with no coach or training partners!

Not impressed at all. I wish him well, but he's light years away from champ level.

I agree that Pico is so offensively-oriented, he seems to lack the defense needed to go with it, especially since (so far) it looks like he doesn't have a great chin. Working with Dillashaw should help him get looser and less rigid, and especially on his angles and footwork (which has never been his strongest, even in wrestling). I really hope we get to see him evolve quickly, like using kicks, because he will be thrown into the mix fairly quickly.

I agree that Pico is so offensively-oriented, he seems to lack the defense needed to go with it, especially since (so far) it looks like he doesn't have a great chin. Working with Dillashaw should help him get looser and less rigid, and especially on his angles and footwork (which has never been his strongest, even in wrestling). I really hope we get to see him evolve quickly, like using kicks, because he will be thrown into the mix fairly quickly.

I was shocked at how stuff he looked. It was like watching a typical wrestler w six months of boxing training.

Not fluid or smooth at all.

If you analyze him as an aspiring fighter, rather than a matrix level prodigy, he is probably doing fine.  I have no idea what it's like locked in a cage with another man who is trying to knock you unconscious, but I would imagine there is a pretty freaking steep learning curve to be expected regardless of your talent level.  Definitely seems to be lacking a lot of lateral movement, especially of the upper body, as other posters have indicated.  Good thing they fed him a fish, which is what they should have done in the first place.

I think his striking technique is very good. His takedowns are also good.

No kicks, which is something he should be forcing into his repertoire at this point. His defense is sketchy. His ground game is ineffective. His opponent was obviously not remotely close to his level physically, but was technically in stand up.

In summary, this is his second fight and he is unsurprisingly 1-1.

A good striker with the ability to stuff shots would be a major problem for him right now.

During the broadcast they list his trainers, one elite guy after another, and he's eating punches from a guy with no coach or training partners!

Not impressed at all. I wish him well, but he's light years away from champ level.

How people are overlooking this is beyond me.

The announcer said that the guy he was fighting has no coach or training partners and literally trains on his own.  They said he showed up a week before the fight to the area trying to find someone to train with to get ready for the right.  Pico didn't look good he just looked better than this guy he was fighting who isn't any good.

Take a look.  http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Justin-Linn-47432

This guy has only fight in small regional promotions and hasn't beat anyone in THREE YEARS and he gets an invitation to fight at Bellator?  It is obvious that they set Pico up for an easy win after he got destroyed.

Saying he has not coach or training partner maybe a little of a stretch. From my understanding of what I have read the guy does have a home gym he trains with. It's not a elite MMA gym, but he is getting regular training. The issue is MMA fighters have to pay their own travel expenses and it's the same with their coaches. So since the people connected with his training gym couldn't come along he was left to fend for himself while he was there. He also had to come in several days early for the promotion, interviews, and weigh-ins so it wasn't like he could stay at home until the last min. and train. There are some very talented fighters that can come from these type of small gyms but they do have some difficulties making it to the elite leves with the training restrictions they have. So yes he was without a top level team behind him, but from what I've read to paint a picture that he has no gym or coaches at all is a little bit of a stretch.

Saying he has not coach or training partner maybe a little of a stretch. From my understanding of what I have read the guy does have a home gym he trains with. It's not a elite MMA gym, but he is getting regular training. The issue is MMA fighters have to pay their own travel expenses and it's the same with their coaches. So since the people connected with his training gym couldn't come along he was left to fend for himself while he was there. He also had to come in several days early for the promotion, interviews, and weigh-ins so it wasn't like he could stay at home until the last min. and train. There are some very talented fighters that can come from these type of small gyms but they do have some difficulties making it to the elite leves with the training restrictions they have. So yes he was without a top level team behind him, but from what I've read to paint a picture that he has no gym or coaches at all is a little bit of a stretch.

The fight was in San Jose, CA!  

It isn't like he was flying in from Florida or New York.  He was literally some random local fighter who hadn't won a fight in THREE years who they thought Pico would be able to destroy.

If he is from Stockton/Columbia like an hour up the road and no training partners or coaches came with him then he has none.  You can literally commute that distance.

I was shocked at how stuff he looked. It was like watching a typical wrestler w six months of boxing training.

Not fluid or smooth at all.

Are you freakin' kidding me.....Typical????  

Slipping that right hand and throwing a left hook in the pocket (and connecting with power) is not an amateur thing to do.  I know many top pro MMA fighters and who wouldn't even think of doing that! He not only did it, he did it with precision and with blinding speed.  He's definitely throwing his hands at a high level.  Once he settles down and relax's a bit more he'll be really hard to beat.

I've seen and have trained with the best boxers in PA to include Larry Holmes, Bernard Hopkins, Joe Frazier, Sonny Liston, Carl "the truth" Williams.  I'm even the East Coast's biggest fan of the All-Time Mexican Great and only undefeated Mexican champ!!  Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez.  (most don't know this guy)

I can say W/O a shadow of doubt Pico only has an upward trend.   He's definitely got a style that will be fun to watch. (Mexican style-moving forward w/ pressure)

*** GGG

My only criticism is his style is not conducive to longevity.  That style of fighter has a short term career, but man do they bring exciting fights!!

Let the kid enjoy his win!!  There's way too much criticism from back seat drivers. 

The fight was in San Jose, CA!

It isn't like he was flying in from Florida or New York. He was literally some random local

From what I was reading Linn had been primarily based out of Las Vegas for most of his fight career and which would be over 8 hours away from San Jose. I don't know what connection he has with his former camp out there but he has been training there for awhile early on. Not sure how long he's been living in California or what type of his connections had in that state since he's been there. I haven't heard if some of them made it out for the actual fight, but I'm sure he had at least someone he had worked with before in his corner on fight day even if they didn't come to San Jose in advance.

Sure he's not a world beater, when he's painted as some local guy off the street who hasn't been in a gym or had a coach that's a little insulting to him, his opponent, and the audience. He's a decent regional fighter who was brought in to help Pico get back on track. But he's still a trained MMA fighter with years of experience and a 7-3 record against other regional fighter up to that point.

Edited by MadMardigain