Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Pico Updates?

I think people underestimate just how freaking good professional fighters are.  Its easy to watch two trained professionals get in the ring and nitpick over small technical deficiencies, but that kind of thing only stands out because of how high their skill level is.

I'm "pretty good" at Jiu Jitsu and I've beaten former marines and other tough guys in backyard grappling matches.  There are a couple of good wrestlers with around my level of BJJ experience at my school who destroy me.  Those guys get destroyed by the advanced belts, and those advanced belt guys get destroyed by the advanced belts from other schools that are competition powerhouses.

I'm better at submission grappling than 95%+ of the population, and I'm like 3 standard deviations away from being competent enough to compete in a cage.  I have to imagine its very similar with striking.  Anyone who has the balls to step in the cage has my respect, especially if they have a 7-3 record.

This is a forum and we are all armchair quarterbacking, I get that.  But lets not throw shade on Justin Linn; unless you've had serious legitimate training he could probably beat up the guy who could beat up the guy who could beat up the guy that you might be able to take in a fight.  

Pico seems to have absolutely no power behind his punches.  

do me a favor bud, go study up on boxing for a while and watch a ton of film, hang out at gyms, talk to experts and ex-pros.  ask every one of them if they think the below gif is an impressive punch and example of power & precision.  get back to me with the answers please.

jzedifwhb9nod83mntpu.gif

do me a favor bud, go study up on boxing for a while and watch a ton of film, hang out at gyms, talk to experts and ex-pros. ask every one of them if they think the below gif is an impressive punch and example of power & precision. get back to me with the answers please.

jzedifwhb9nod83mntpu.gif

Spot on great left hook. As good as it gets. But, this is not boxing, it is MMA. Seems like this debate just happened when an MMA guy striker suckered people into a big paycheck while losing to a boxer. BTW, not my money. Pico actually looked like a boxer which could explain why he got hit in an MMA match. Boxer stance, boxer KO, but a good MMA guy could, and has, taken advantage of Pico not putting all those skills together.

A gallant makes a good point. Nobody has mentioned this yet, but in my opinion, Pico’s greatest weakness is his inability to mount an attack from “MMA distance”. The biggest difference in striking between boxing and MMA is the distance required. Because MMA involves legs and knees, not to speak of upper body striking techniques illegal in boxing (spinning backfists, spinning elbows, Superman lunches, etc.), you’re exposed from twice as far away as you are in boxing. A well-rounded striker could pick a boxer apart using only strikes by keeping distance and taking potshots from afar. Any good Muay Thai boxer would leg kick the sht out of even elite boxers in a real (or MMA Style) fight. José Aldo used to be the master of this despite being short until he decided to become more of a boxer (his career consequently took a nosedive).

In his two fights, Pico has only threatened his opponent by walking them down and closing the gap. This strategy won’t work against a top-level MMA striker. Until he learns to kick, it would be wise for him to mix in more wrestling, like someone already mentioned. I’m

A gallant makes a good point. Nobody has mentioned this yet, but in my opinion, Pico’s greatest weakness is his inability to mount an attack from “MMA distance”. The biggest difference in striking between boxing and MMA is the distance required. Because MMA involves legs and knees, not to speak of upper body striking techniques illegal in boxing (spinning backfists, spinning elbows, Superman lunches, etc.), you’re exposed from twice as far away as you are in boxing. A well-rounded striker could pick a boxer apart using only strikes by keeping distance and taking potshots from afar. Any good Muay Thai boxer would leg kick the sht out of even elite boxers in a real (or MMA Style) fight. José Aldo used to be the master of this despite being short until he decided to become more of a boxer (his career consequently took a nosedive).

In his two fights, Pico has only threatened his opponent by walking them down and closing the gap. This strategy won’t work against a top-level MMA striker. Until he learns to kick, it would be wise for him to mix in more wrestling, like someone already mentioned. I’m

Great post. Which is why McGregor never really stood a chance against Mayweather..

do me a favor bud, go study up on boxing for a while and watch a ton of film, hang out at gyms, talk to experts and ex-pros.  ask every one of them if they think the below gif is an impressive punch and example of power & precision.  get back to me with the answers please.

jzedifwhb9nod83mntpu.gif

Yes, I admit that "absolutely no power" was wrong of me to say. It was hyperbole, and he clearly has some if he puts it behind a punch. But in that fight I saw him land a ton of punches without them doing much until his opponent was exhausted, at which point he was able to get the KO by unloading. I think whenever he faces somebody that is a professional and has the conditioning to fight and punch back hard, he is in for a lot of trouble given that he has a suspect chin.  Jake Rosholt would absolutely demolish people he would overmatch, but he had similar issues when he started facing other top fighters. 

MMA/boxing are not sports that are great for on the job training. As he takes more damage, it will take less and less for him to get KOed. That's just how concussions work. It's not like wrestling where you can get teched and it won't impact your next match.  I'm starting to think that the Askren route (only fighting easy opponents) or possibly returning to freestyle wrestling might be his best option after those first two fights.  

Jake Rosholt destroyed lesser guys as well...destroyed them! Same when he was wrestling. I remember when Rosholt wrestled Cael at the 2004 US Open semi final and just finished his 3rd NCAA title and dominated his first three matches. I was so hyped for that match! Then Cael absolutely destroyed him 9-0 which in todays world would have been 18-0. 8 takedowns and an ankle lace while he never even got to Cael's leg once. Pico, at least from whet I am seeing now will get to top 5 but will get destroyed by the elite title contenders but destroy anyone lesser than him. Hope I am wrong.

jzedifwhb9nod83mntpu.gif

Wow, what a thing of beauty.  The speed with which he delivers that shot, coupled with the placement,  that's a high level display of striking.    

Too early to reach any conclusions. The guy he just fought accumulated his record against tomatoe cans and was submitted by the only decent opponent he faced before the Pico fight. Which is completely fine. It is called bringing a prospect along slowly. The guy Pico lost to was not a world beater himself, losing his next fight, but he was a legitimate opponent. As the opponent level gets better, we will see.   

I started a thread over there for you to discuss him. Enjoy

I have reported the thread to a moderator using the report function.  I asked for the thread to be moved to the MMA forum.   Hopefully that works. 

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

very sad see how wrestling prospects leave wrestling for more money, it is his choice.

The sorrow will pass Abdullah.  Pico gave us some great years and many exciting memories to remember him fondly.    He's now pro athlete in search of cage fight glory.   We get behind Retherford as the next best option and we give  him our support.     Everyone wins.  

Pico’s last guy had almost zero stand up ability and may have even lacked a decent takedown offense let alone the level needed to scare Pico. Other than his ground game, which he never could have got to, this kid had nothing for Pico. By far Aaron’s weakest competition yet and I think it was purposely designed that way.

I get they gave Pico someone he could show off his standup with, but this was such a gap in striking ability that it did little to improve Pico’s in ring ability or even show what he needs to work on. Now that Pico’s back on track I’d like to see him at least get a more well rounded opponent who will force him to use quality striking and remain cautious in the ground game.

Edited by MadMardigain