• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 dutchcountry7

dutchcountry7

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:01 AM

A good striker with the ability to stuff shots would be a major problem for him right now.
During the broadcast they list his trainers, one elite guy after another, and he's eating punches from a guy with no coach or training partners!
Not impressed at all. I wish him well, but he's light years away from champ level.

How people are overlooking this is beyond me.

The announcer said that the guy he was fighting has no coach or training partners and literally trains on his own.  They said he showed up a week before the fight to the area trying to find someone to train with to get ready for the right.  Pico didn't look good he just looked better than this guy he was fighting who isn't any good.

Take a look.  http://www.sherdog.c...stin-Linn-47432

This guy has only fight in small regional promotions and hasn't beat anyone in THREE YEARS and he gets an invitation to fight at Bellator?  It is obvious that they set Pico up for an easy win after he got destroyed.

#22 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:25 AM

Saying he has not coach or training partner maybe a little of a stretch. From my understanding of what I have read the guy does have a home gym he trains with. It's not a elite MMA gym, but he is getting regular training. The issue is MMA fighters have to pay their own travel expenses and it's the same with their coaches. So since the people connected with his training gym couldn't come along he was left to fend for himself while he was there. He also had to come in several days early for the promotion, interviews, and weigh-ins so it wasn't like he could stay at home until the last min. and train. There are some very talented fighters that can come from these type of small gyms but they do have some difficulties making it to the elite leves with the training restrictions they have. So yes he was without a top level team behind him, but from what I've read to paint a picture that he has no gym or coaches at all is a little bit of a stretch.
  • Cletus_Tucker and GranbyTroll like this

#23 dutchcountry7

dutchcountry7

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:49 AM

Saying he has not coach or training partner maybe a little of a stretch. From my understanding of what I have read the guy does have a home gym he trains with. It's not a elite MMA gym, but he is getting regular training. The issue is MMA fighters have to pay their own travel expenses and it's the same with their coaches. So since the people connected with his training gym couldn't come along he was left to fend for himself while he was there. He also had to come in several days early for the promotion, interviews, and weigh-ins so it wasn't like he could stay at home until the last min. and train. There are some very talented fighters that can come from these type of small gyms but they do have some difficulties making it to the elite leves with the training restrictions they have. So yes he was without a top level team behind him, but from what I've read to paint a picture that he has no gym or coaches at all is a little bit of a stretch.

The fight was in San Jose, CA!  

It isn't like he was flying in from Florida or New York.  He was literally some random local fighter who hadn't won a fight in THREE years who they thought Pico would be able to destroy.

If he is from Stockton/Columbia like an hour up the road and no training partners or coaches came with him then he has none.  You can literally commute that distance.

#24 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:35 AM

I was shocked at how stuff he looked. It was like watching a typical wrestler w six months of boxing training.
Not fluid or smooth at all.

Are you freakin' kidding me.....Typical????  

Slipping that right hand and throwing a left hook in the pocket (and connecting with power) is not an amateur thing to do.  I know many top pro MMA fighters and who wouldn't even think of doing that! He not only did it, he did it with precision and with blinding speed.  He's definitely throwing his hands at a high level.  Once he settles down and relax's a bit more he'll be really hard to beat.

I've seen and have trained with the best boxers in PA to include Larry Holmes, Bernard Hopkins, Joe Frazier, Sonny Liston, Carl "the truth" Williams.  I'm even the East Coast's biggest fan of the All-Time Mexican Great and only undefeated Mexican champ!!  Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez.  (most don't know this guy)

I can say W/O a shadow of doubt Pico only has an upward trend.   He's definitely got a style that will be fun to watch. (Mexican style-moving forward w/ pressure)

*** GGG

My only criticism is his style is not conducive to longevity.  That style of fighter has a short term career, but man do they bring exciting fights!!

Let the kid enjoy his win!!  There's way too much criticism from back seat drivers. 

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#25 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

The fight was in San Jose, CA!

It isn't like he was flying in from Florida or New York. He was literally some random local

From what I was reading Linn had been primarily based out of Las Vegas for most of his fight career and which would be over 8 hours away from San Jose. I don't know what connection he has with his former camp out there but he has been training there for awhile early on. Not sure how long he's been living in California or what type of his connections had in that state since he's been there. I haven't heard if some of them made it out for the actual fight, but I'm sure he had at least someone he had worked with before in his corner on fight day even if they didn't come to San Jose in advance.

Sure he's not a world beater, when he's painted as some local guy off the street who hasn't been in a gym or had a coach that's a little insulting to him, his opponent, and the audience. He's a decent regional fighter who was brought in to help Pico get back on track. But he's still a trained MMA fighter with years of experience and a 7-3 record against other regional fighter up to that point.

Edited by MadMardigain, 24 September 2017 - 06:26 AM.

#26 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:08 AM

Are you kidding? He walked into two stiff jabs, had zero head/shoulder movement, and has taken shots from two stiffs so far in two fights.

#27 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

Are you kidding? He walked into two stiff jabs, had zero head/shoulder movement, and has taken shots from two stiffs so far in two fights.

You must not understand that taking a punch is more important than giving one.  Taking a punch and still being relaxed means:

1. Your blood pressure hasn't risen

2. Your heart rate is under control

3. Your nervous energy is under control

Those three things are important in taking a punch and returning one in the pocket.  Amateur fighters or "newbies" are terrified of getting hit.  They move their head so much, their fear shines through.  Either that or they get punched and return fire at the wrong time, thus setting themselves up to be knocked out.

Most guys look great on pads, and can slip and bob and weave great with a coach.  But when the bullets are flying it's a different story.  

Look at the way Pico slipped that right cross and delivered the left hook - it was a thing of beauty.

Many on here can't wait to criticize him- it's so SAD!!!

Edited by fanta, 24 September 2017 - 06:25 AM.

#28 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

I haven't seen anything sad here. He is a pro and people are offering their opinion. Nothing malicious. He should not be eating punches from this opponent.

#29 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

You must not understand that taking a punch is more important than giving one. Taking a punch and still being relaxed means:

1. Your blood pressure hasn't risen
2. Your heart rate is under control
3. Your nervous energy is under control

Those three things are important in taking a punch and returning one in the pocket. Amateur fighters or "newbies" are terrified of getting hit. They move their head so much, their fear shines through. Either that or they get punched and return fire at the wrong time, thus setting themselves up to be knocked out.

Most guys look great on pads, and can slip and bob and weave great with a coach. But when the bullets are flying it's a different story.

Look at the way Pico slipped that right cross and delivered the left hook - it was a thing of beauty.

Many on here can't wait to criticize him- it's so SAD!!!

That first jab, from a guy that should be washing cars, sure got Pico's attention.
Everyone but you sees the same thing. No head movement, easy target. He has had two fights, against borderline amateur level competition, and been hit cleanly in both multiple times.

#30 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

I thought Pico absolutely destroyed this guy.

#31 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

Pico seems to have absolutely no power behind his punches.  That combined with him having a questionable chin is a bad combination for his career prospects.  He reminds me of Jake Rosholt. Great wrestler, but a liability to get KOed with little chance of KOing the other guy. 

He's still young though, so he still has time to develop.  He probably should have stayed amateur longer though.  

Edited by Billyhoyle, 24 September 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#32 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

Pico seems to have absolutely no power behind his punches.  That combined with him having a questionable chin is a bad combination for his career prospects.  He reminds me of Jake Rosholt. Great wrestler, but a liability to get KOed with little chance of KOing the other guy. 

He's still young though, so he still has time to develop.  He probably should have stayed amateur longer though.  

No power behind his punches? Did we watch the same fight?

#33 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

Lol

None, the guy was sleeping center cage because he was tired from the previous night, not from the crushing shot Pico starched him with.        If Pico has anything, it's power.     He hit a little shoe shine style blitzkrieg for excitement early on and I know everyone in my living room loved it, but because the guy didn't fold he has no power?    

fanta it is good to see there's at least one member of this board who understands the sweet science and MMA in general.   

• GoNotQuietly likes this

#34 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Lol

None, the guy was sleeping center cage because he was tired from the previous night, not from the crushing shot Pico starched him with.        If Pico has anything, it's power.     He hit a little shoe shine style blitzkrieg for excitement early on and I know everyone in my living room loved it, but because the guy didn't fold he has no power?    

fanta it is good to see there's at least one member of this board who understands the sweet science and MMA in general.   

The bomb that hit at the end had a ton of power behind it, but I think his opponent was already gassed. The majority of his shots seemed ineffective. We'll see when he starts facing elite competition.  

#35 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

BillyHoyle - that wasn't a bomb.  It was a short, compact hook that he fired off almost effortlessly.   It was precision and it was about as technically sound as can be.  He showed power in a compact space.  that's legit boxing power.   He got the fist vertical from the hook position, just as my late boxing trainer taught me years and years ago.  It's the first thing I noticed on the replay.  The technique, coupled with the power is what turned the man's lights out.     Anyone can wind up and throw a power over hand.  Pico fired from the shoulder and smashed the guy's consciousness.      I was impressed. 

I'd like to see a bit more head movement and ring generalship (movement, feints, levels, etc.).    

• Shiraz123 likes this

#36 CA_Wrestler

CA_Wrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

Glad to see he won that match and also really glad to see that he trained for this one at Team Bodyshop with long, long time wrestling pal(and frequenter of Monster Garage with Pico and the Valencias), Joey Davis.

#37 BigBrog

BigBrog

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:54 AM

Man....people love to hate don't they?  Oh wait...they disguise it as "giving and opinion".  Pico knocked the guy the f#$& out!  But it wasn't good enough for people to say, hey nice job Aaron?!?  Some of you on here need to get off the internet in live in reality for awhile.

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#38 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:04 AM

Man....people love to hate don't they?  Oh wait...they disguise it as "giving and opinion".  Pico knocked the guy the f#$& out!  But it wasn't good enough for people to say, hey nice job Aaron?!?  Some of you on here need to get off the internet in live in reality for awhile.

LOL

#39 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:14 AM

He fought at 145? What about all that speculation that he'd never see 65kg (143) again? Not being sarcastic, just wondering if those predictions were unfounded, or if Pico changed his training regime after getting iced at 155. 

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

#40 CA_Wrestler

CA_Wrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:52 AM

He fought at 145? What about all that speculation that he'd never see 65kg (143) again? Not being sarcastic, just wondering if those predictions were unfounded, or if Pico changed his training regime after getting iced at 155. 

Pico's walk around weight is barely 155.  Going against guys who are at 155, but cutting from maybe 160-170 isn't a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users