So I am almost as big of an MMA fan as I am of wrestling. Been pretty closely following the sport since 04-05ish. Some brief thoughts on Pico and what he's shown thus far in terms of development:
1. Take a step back and remember he's 21 years old with 2 professional fights, both against guys with far more experience than he has.
2. Virtually every fighter's 2nd fight is in a regional promotion against a no name fighter with a 0-1 or 1-0 record.
3. He has a ton of power and fast hands. The counter left hook he landed was not only powerful but lightning fast.
4. Yes, he eats too many shots. This should be expected for someone at his stage of development.
5. Yes, he's a little over-aggressive but it was tempered more in this fight than his previous.
6. I am more concerned with his seeming lack of a submission offense than his striking defense. He had Linn on the mat for a decent amount of time and was content to punch while never actually looking to lock something in. I'd like to see a mixture of both.
7. 145 is much better suited for his frame. He looked to be a good sized FW while he was a small LW.
8. Energy conservation is something he'll need to work on. You see a lot of talented young fighters punch themselves out in the 1st only to gas in the 2nd and get finished in the 3rd by someone they are much more skilled than. His flurry against the cage looked pretty but was largely ineffective.
9. Compared to Ed Ruth at his 2nd fight, Pico is very far more developed as a complete MMA fighter.
I like what I see and I did see improvement. Yes, he has a ways to go before he's ready for the top 20 of the game but he has plenty of time to develop and hone his skills.