Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Pico

Why wasn't his last opponent appropriate?

Because it was his first pro fight and he fought someone who has had multiple fights. What was the record of the guys Ed Ruth, and Joey Davis fought their first fights. I credit Pico for wanting to fight a good guy his first fight but this was a whole different ball game and he should have eased his way into it.

Because it was his first pro fight and he fought someone who has had multiple fights. What was the record of the guys Ed Ruth, and Joey Davis fought their first fights. I credit Pico for wanting to fight a good guy his first fight but this was a whole different ball game and he should have eased his way into it.

Those guys are pure wrestlers. Pico is not. I'm pulling for him and I've been hyping him on other MMA boards but I think his opponent was very appropriate given his skill set and hype. His weight class however was not appropriate. His opponent was quite a bit larger. He needs to be at FW, not LW. 

Those guys are pure wrestlers. Pico is not. I'm pulling for him and I've been hyping him on other MMA boards but I think his opponent was very appropriate given his skill set and hype. His weight class however was not appropriate. His opponent was quite a bit larger. He needs to be at FW, not LW.

Yes optimally he should be down a weight. But I'm not sure weight class or event how much of a veteran his opponent was lost him that fight as much as his own inability to use proper head movement and footwork while striking. Anyone with a decent punch reguardless of record in the cage may catch with a solid shot if you are going to just stand and trade blows. And not to many pro-fighters have the chin to take a solid shot an not get rocked. AP just happen to fall right into the guys preferred submission move right after getting caught. So a combination of bad decision and some bad luck while falling down. Any other position and he may have been able to hold some type of guard until he got his wits back. Not sure if it was MSG PPV jitters or just being bull headed looking make a statement for the crowd but it cost him a chance to win the fight. He has the training to move well while striking, so hopefully he can show it in his next fight. Edited by MadMardigain

The guy Pico fought may have had some experience, but he was the 10th ranked guy in the Missouri-Kansas area in MMA according to one ranking. That is the very definition of who a top rated prospect like Pico should have been fighting. Maybe it wasn't his opponent's ranking that was wrong at the time, maybe it was Pico's hype instead. 

Edited by TBar1977

Why wasn't his last opponent appropriate?

Because his opponent was a weight class bigger with an 8-2 record and it was a main card PPV fight in Madison Square Garden - for his debut.  Literally no one takes that sort of thing on in their very first pro MMA fight for obvious reasons.  His team never should have let him take that fight.     

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

The guy Pico fought may have had some experience, but he was the 10th ranked guy in the Missouri-Kansas area in MMA according to one ranking. That is the very definition of who a top rated prospect like Pico should have been fighting. Maybe it wasn't his opponent's ranking that was wrong at the time, maybe it was Pico's hype instead. 

Rankings are just rankings. 

I follow MMA closely. That was consistently brought up by the die hard MMA fans as a dumb matchup to make.

It was a calculated risk, and hindsight is 20/20, but the community had very mixed opinions in advance of the fight. 

I truly feel for Pico. I don't blame Bellator for offering it and I don't blame Pico for accepting the fight. His management should not have allowed it to happen. 

I hope they figure it out quick.

They've invested a ton in Pico and the MMA window is short, especially if he keeps getting knocked out.

One thing that's not short is the MMA window.   48 year old Dan Henderson just retired.  His buddy Randy Courure retired at 49 I think .   What's  UFC champ Daniel Cormier, 40?   Middle weight champion Michael  Bisping is around 38 or 39 and recent world title challenger Yoel Romero is 40.      MMA is an old man's game too.

That said, you do want to limit the brain trauma.  

Most pro fighters, no matter how good of a prospect, get eased into the game. They fight other newer pros, or fighters with losing records. Aaron's career thus far, in wrestling and in mma, has been rushed. His hype, for his talent, is where it should be, but his coaches/manager should not have set him up with that fight, but Pico insisted. hopefully it was a wake up call and they go back to the normal gameplan for new pros.

Most pro fighters, no matter how good of a prospect, get eased into the game. They fight other newer pros, or fighters with losing records. Aaron's career thus far, in wrestling and in mma, has been rushed. His hype, for his talent, is where it should be, but his coaches/manager should not have set him up with that fight, but Pico insisted. hopefully it was a wake up call and they go back to the normal gameplan for new pros.

Like most MMA guys. when finished, they are broke and have Swiss cheese for brains. This is the same for former professional football players. Odds are, if his brain is still functioning, he will look to get a college degree.

Like most MMA guys. when finished, they are broke and have Swiss cheese for brains. This is the same for former professional football players. Odds are, if his brain is still functioning, he will look to get a college degree.

It depends on how they train and their fighting style.

AKA, where Pico trains, is a terrible gym for long term health. Great gym to learn how to fight though. Arguably the best in the world.

If Pico socks a wrestling oriented style and continues developing technical boxing abilities, he could avoid the long term brain issues. Hopefully they toned down the hard sparring.

Pico will never be poor. His family is extremely wealthy and Pico has earned a lot of money himself.

Edited by Housebuye

I had heard that part of the Mayweather-McGregor contract was that Floyd would have to reciprocate and take a MMA fight in the octagon. I am now hearing that Pico is on the short list of possible opponents.

That would be fun.  Pico needs an easy win. 

this is correct.  it doesn't matter if its boxing, MMA or other styles of fighting, they always follow the process of easing a new star in.  whether it was Bellator rushing him, management making bad decisions or the rumor that no one would sign to fight Pico, whatever the reason it was rushed and unfortunately for him he flopped on the big stage.

i'd love to see your examples on this.  CTE and brain damage are MUCH more prevalent in boxing and football due to the repeated and consistent trauma to the head.  now, we are still in a relatively small sample size due to the length of time that MMA has been contested but it is still proven that there is less and less hard sparring in camps and also with striking being just one of the areas that is trained you see less head trauma there as well.

It depends on how they train and their fighting style.

AKA, where Pico trains, is a terrible gym for long term health. Great gym to learn how to fight though. Arguably the best in the world.

they definitely bang in AKA.  hoping that changes with more and more fighters sparring less and less.  just breeds injury IMO.

Please share where most former MMA fighters have Swiss cheese for brains??

I would but you'd argue it. Suffice it to say you cannot get concussed multiple times without serious consequences. You didn't know this?

Welcome to Earth you must be new here. It is especially bad if they happen fairly quickly. I have a horrible anecdotal story about all of that starting with a former teammate of Pico's, who no longer wrestles because of concussions, and my own child.

Because I ask for evidence I am going to argue it??  Okay?!?!  Maybe I have swiss cheese brains since I don't get how providing evidence is a bad thing and something someone asks for to argue against??  I can argue all day long about baseless statements that someone can't back up, but probably won't argue if there is actual evidence and data to support a persons claim.  

But you sgallan would would rather throw out insults before you even know someones stance on the subject, and use emotional one off situations to make broad stroked statements that are unsubstantiated....oh but I am the one who just wants to argue...got it... 

Because I ask for evidence I am going to argue it?? Okay?!?! Maybe I have swiss cheese brains since I don't get how providing evidence is a bad thing and something someone asks for to argue against?? I can argue all day long about baseless statements that someone can't back up, but probably won't argue if there is actual evidence and data to support a persons claim.

But you sgallan would would rather throw out insults before you even know someones stance on the subject, and use emotional one off situations to make broad stroked statements that are unsubstantiated....oh but I am the one who just wants to argue...got it...

Don't waste your time.