Sign in to follow this  
maligned

The biggest story no one noticed at Worlds...

ZERO gold medals in any discipline for Russia in 2017.  The only other year in history that Russia/USSR has sent participants to a worlds or Olympics and not won a gold was in 1913. The last 30 years for context:

2016 (olympics and worlds): 6 golds (24 weights)

2015: 4 (24)

2014: 6 (24)

2013: 3 (21)

2012 (olympics and women's worlds): 4 (21)

2011: 4 (21)

2010: 5 (21)

2009: 5 (21)

2008 (olympics and women's worlds): 6 (21)

2007: 7 (21)

2006: 3 (21)

2005: 5 (21)

2004 (olympics only): 5 (18: 7 MF, 7 GR, 4 WF)

2003: 5 (21)

2002: 5 (21)

2001: 5 (22: 8 MF, 8 GR, 6 WF)

2000 (olympics and women's worlds): 6 (22) 

1999: 4 (22)

1998: 5 (22)

1997: 5 (22)

1996 (olympics and women's worlds): 4 (29: 10 MF, 10 GR, 9 WF)

1995: 6 (29)

1994: 6 (29)

1993 (as Russia): 5 (29)

1992 (olympics as Unified Team and women's worlds as Russia): 6 (29)

1991 (as USSR): 9 (29)

1990: 10 (29)

1989: 9 (29)

1988 (olympics only, no women's worlds): 8 (20)

1987 (first women's worlds): 11 (29)

Edited by maligned

A lot of your typical wrestling powerhouse countries had a down tournament.

Iran one medal: Gold 86.

Azerbijan two medals: Gold 61, and Bronze 97.

Ukraine one medal: Bronze 57.

Belarus one medal: Bronze 74.

Many of the other countries had no medals.

Russia did have five medals, so even though they did not have their usual dominate performance, I think they have a lot to build on and ponder about.

We had an amazing performance, many may say oh it's because it's the first year of the cycle, which is always a down year. Maybe so, but some of these weight classes didn't see down to me, they seemed stacked. But I think we have several things occurring here that helped us. First being that we just happen to have amazing athletes on our team. (Not that we don't always put amazing athletes on our team, but you get my meaning). Secondly is Coach Zadick and the regional training centers, and the genesis of our training and preparation. Third, Titan Mercury Wrestling Club, and it's influence. And of course there is probably a ton of stuff that is also happening that I'm unaware of.

From your account:

http://wrestrus.ru/news/Novosti_turnirov/chempionat_mira_2017/parizhskoe_nedorazumenie_rossija_bez_zolota_itogi_ot_dzambolata_tedeeva

I thought this was an interesting quote from Tedeev:

"The chance was given to all the champions of Russia, and now it became clear that this is just the wrong way. The selection criteria should be completely different."

From your account:

http://wrestrus.ru/news/Novosti_turnirov/chempionat_mira_2017/parizhskoe_nedorazumenie_rossija_bez_zolota_itogi_ot_dzambolata_tedeeva

"The chance was given to all the champions of Russia, and now it became clear that this is just the wrong way. The selection criteria should be completely different."

yeah that was the quote I found the most interesting. of course, thats assuming its Tedeyev who is still the guy who picks the team!

From your account:

That is interesting considering we complain if we even give the slightest advantage to someone who has proven himself against international competition.

A lot of your typical wrestling powerhouse countries had a down tournament.

Iran one medal: Gold 86.

Azerbijan two medals: Gold 61, and Bronze 97.

Ukraine one medal: Bronze 57.

Belarus one medal: Bronze 74.

Many of the other countries had no medals.

Russia did have five medals, so even though they did not have their usual dominate performance, I think they have a lot to build on and ponder about.

We had an amazing performance, many may say oh it's because it's the first year of the cycle, which is always a down year. Maybe so, but some of these weight classes didn't see down to me, they seemed stacked. But I think we have several things occurring here that helped us. First being that we just happen to have amazing athletes on our team. (Not that we don't always put amazing athletes on our team, but you get my meaning). Secondly is Coach Zadick and the regional training centers, and the genesis of our training and preparation. Third, Titan Mercury Wrestling Club, and it's influence. And of course there is probably a ton of stuff that is also happening that I'm unaware of.

You all seem to leave out the Trump affect. He did say He would make America great again!