Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Has Burroughs revolutionized the sport?

I noticed that many wrestlers from other countries were shooting "low" reshots like Burroughs does. Has he revolutionized the sport like John Smith did with the low single? JB obviously didnt invent the reshot like Smith with the low single, but I never really saw people shooting reshots from their knees or even from a full sprawl before. I think we were all taught to get to better position and then take the shot. Now we even saw heavyweights shooting from a full sprawl! I feel like Burroughs initiated this phenomenon, or did I just not really pay attention to it until he mastered it? 

Yes, I agree that JB has revolutionized the sport with his reshots, I've stated this myself in the past.

By the way, is it true that Smith invented the low single?

I always wondered that. I mean, he added his twist to the move making it unique, tha's for sure. However, I'm also sure the low single was already being used before. 

Does anybody know anything more about this subject?

Yes, I agree that JB has revolutionized the sport with his reshots, I've stated this myself in the past.

By the way, is it true that Smith invented the low single?

I always wondered that. I mean, he added his twist to the move making it unique, tha's for sure. However, I'm also sure the low single was already being used before. 

Does anybody know anything more about this subject?

Mario DeCaro of San Francisco State University was using a low-single during the 1982-83 season. It was very similar to what John Smith's looked like when I saw it in 1988.

My good friend Pat Smith told me the story like this.  John came home and asked me what I thought of his new single leg he had been killing it with in the OSU room.  Pat said he told him he didn't like it much, so they went takedowns in their home wrestling room.  He said after John took him down about a dozen times, he asked him to show him how to do it!!!

I think what Jordan has is speed. If I had to guess, I would say his speed and how he is able to use it, may be what some may consider revolutionary. We have all seen how Jordan can change levels, shoot from his feet or knees, counter and reshoot. But it is also his ability to move laterally (which is something that isn't often mentioned), that has catapulted Jordan to the top of Men's Freestyle Wrestling World these past seven years.

Jordan Burroughs for President in 2020!!!

Certainly better than last year's two candidates!

Better spend more time in the classroom studying.

A US President must be at least 35 years old. Burroughs won't make it in 2020. Will have to wait til 2024 at the earliest.

I would love to hear what Jordan Burroughs thinks about the following.  (In his role as ambassador towards making us mo-betta!)

What in your opinion, should be our position on:

1.  Weigh-In Procedures

2.  Bracketing

3.  Length of bout

4.  The challenge system

5.  If we added the push-out rule in folkstyle, it may be an immediate success, but it may also A.  Eliminate what is an art form of scoring at the edge of the mat.      B.  Just be another rule that changes if we ever dominate the position.

6.  Is there any way to get 10 permanent weights in all World Championships, and Olympic Tournaments?

7.  Do you believe it is more difficult to win a world title now than 30 years ago?  What about Team Championships?

8.  Any topics that I've forgotten to ask, that you feel are important to our sport..ie. skin diseases, safety of the athletes, etc.

I like Burroughs, but he hasn't revolutionized anything. He certainly didn't invent the "blast double". Also, I remember guys in HS who attacked while on their knees (although not many guys did) and that was 35 years ago. And I'd reckon there were guys shooting from their knees 35 years before that, and so on, and so on.

I would love to hear what Jordan Burroughs thinks about the following.  (In his role as ambassador towards making us mo-betta!)

7.  Do you believe it is more difficult to win a world title now than 30 years ago?  What about Team Championships?

I'd like to see Burroughs answer those questions too. Except for the one above. How would Burroughs know whether it would harder to win now than 30 years ago when he wasn't even a gleam in his daddy's eye 30 years ago? What would he say, anyway? Probably that it's harder now...because it makes his achievement look that much better.  Remember when that douchebag Ted Williams said "hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in ALL SPORTS". Anyway just saying....naturally a guy is going to give an answer that makes him look as good as possible :D I'd be disappointed in such a douchy move by Jordan, but possibly I'd also be disappointed if I detected false modesty (let's face it: the guy probably has a big ego. He's a multiple world champ). So...just don't bother asking him that one.

I like Burroughs, but he hasn't revolutionized anything. He certainly didn't invent the "blast double". Also, I remember guys in HS who attacked while on their knees (although not many guys did) and that was 35 years ago. And I'd reckon there were guys shooting from their knees 35 years before that, and so on, and so on.

One thing is to shoot from your knees in HS or in your home basement, a whole other thing is to do the same on the international stage. 

Nobody really invent anything. Also, it's not just the fact that he shoots from his knees, it's his reshot and the way he executes it that has revolutionized the sport. Lots of international wrestlers started to implement a JB reshot after watching him having success with it. Did Abdurakhmonov, Scott, Gomez, Akgul etc. use to shoot like that before JB? I really don't think so. A wrestler from my country who used to compete at worlds, started to use a double from the knees because of Jordan Burroughs. That's says a lot, I think.

As I mentioned in the OP, I agree Burroughs didn't invent anything. My point is that I believe he was the first person to be so successful with that low reshot that other people, even other countries, began to copy it. I saw a lot of it at this years world championships. Maybe I just didn't pay attention to it as much before Burroughs, but I feel he at least lead to its increase in popularity to some degree.

I'd like to see Burroughs answer those questions too. Except for the one above. How would Burroughs know whether it would harder to win now than 30 years ago when he wasn't even a gleam in his daddy's eye 30 years ago? What would he say, anyway? Probably that it's harder now...because it makes his achievement look that much better.  Remember when that douchebag Ted Williams said "hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in ALL SPORTS". Anyway just saying....naturally a guy is going to give an answer that makes him look as good as possible :D I'd be disappointed in such a douchy move by Jordan, but possibly I'd also be disappointed if I detected false modesty (let's face it: the guy probably has a big ego. He's a multiple world champ). So...just don't bother asking him that one.

You know, if Burroughs said he believes it's more difficult to win now because all the Russians who used to sit behind each other are now spread out amongst multiple nations, he would share a popular view of many wrestling fans and not come off as egomaniacal at all. Why is Ted Williams a douchebag for sharing his opinion about hitting a baseball? He has a point...if you can hit safely 3 out of 10 times you are an all-star. What other activity in sports celebrates such a low success rate. Why?, because it is in fact, really difficult. Please tell whoever pissed in your Cheerios not to do it anymore.

Edited by steen-hooph

Revolutionize: change (something) radically or fundamentally. d

Invent: create or design (something that has not existed before); be the originator of.

Maybe the meaning of those words has changed in the past 35 years, but nowadays to invent is not the same as to revolutionize. 

I see Burroughs style more like I see NFL running backs. Get a small fireplug guy who can run through people and suddenly he is the prototype back everyone wants - as happened with NY Giants a few years back.

If a Jim Brown type is doing well other teams try recruiting that body type or running style.

Same with "West Coast Offense" under Bill Walsh at San Francisco.

Burroughs found what works for him and has the tools to push it. Very successful and the competition works to get guys who can do it as well. John Smith with the Low Single and his style mystified many even as they tried and failed to do what he did. Cael with his ankle pick in college - you can copy but no one has yet been his equal.

Burroughs works his magic and is the prime example of how well his signature moves can be done. As he ages and slows down a bit and doesn't have the explosive first step he is using more mat awareness and experience to win. An excellent champion with brains pushing his talent to the limit - and it works for him. I don't see that he revolutionized the sport so much as he pushed it forward. Dan Gable did it with extreme fitness and domination. Some Russians have done it their way. As long as it works, why not?

You know, if Burroughs said he believes it's more difficult to win now because all the Russians who used to sit behind each other are now spread out amongst multiple nations, he would share a popular view of many wrestling fans and not come off as egomaniacal at all. Why is Ted Williams a douchebag for sharing his opinion about hitting a baseball? He has a point...if you can hit safely 3 out of 10 times you are an all-star. What other activity in sports celebrates such a low success rate. Why?, because it is in fact, really difficult. Please tell whoever pissed in your Cheerios not to do it anymore.

Those are valid points by Burroughs. Regarding baseball? It's a wimp sport, always has been, and batting .300 to me is about as impressive as taking a giant dump after Thanksgiving dinner. Ted Wiliams, who was reputedly a colossal egomaniac, just said that because it aggrandized his exploits as a good batter. How would Williams, who never played a down in the NFL or MBA know it's easier hitting a ball with a stick than it is to benchpress 600 pounds? Or to score 30 points in a bball game? Or to throw a 50 yard TD pass? He was preaching to other baseball fans, of which I assure you I'm not.

Edited by TobusRex

Those are valid points by Burroughs. Regarding baseball? It's a wimp sport, always has been, and batting .300 to me is about as impressive as taking a giant dump after Thanksgiving dinner. Ted Wiliams, who was reputedly a colossal egomaniac, just said that because it aggrandized his exploits as a good batter. How would Williams, who never played a down in the NFL or MBA know it's easier hitting a ball with a stick than it is to benchpress 600 pounds? Or to score 30 points in a bball game? Or to throw a 50 yard TD pass? He was preaching to other baseball fans, of which I assure you I'm not.

Baseball salaries are among the highest in pro sports and it's youth participation level in the US is higher than every sport buy Basketball and Soccer. When Williams played it had the highest participation rate salaries and it wasn't close. So yeah hitting a major league pitch was the hardest thing to do in sports and might still be.

Also you sound like a kid bragging about his dad being the toughest on the block with the wimp sport comment lol. We all know wimps like Bob Gibson, TY Cobb and Dick Allen.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Baseball salaries are among the highest in pro sports and it's youth participation level in the US is higher than every sport buy Basketball and Soccer. When Williams played it had the highest participation rate salaries and it wasn't close. So yeah hitting a major league pitch was the hardest thing to do in sports and might still be.

Also you sound like a kid bragging about his dad being the toughest on the block with the wimp sport comment lol. We all know wimps like Bob Gibson, TY Cobb and Dick Allen.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Funny you say that since my dad loves baseball and tried to make me play it.