For those who didn't see all the matches, you just don't know how close ZR is from being at least a medalist. He techs Barat (sp); and if he had literally one more second on the clock, he beats Baitrov, who lost to Gogoev 2-1 (all points due to shot clock), who lost in the last 2 seconds to silver medalist. IMO if he had gotten by Baitrov (whom he absolutely wore out with superior conditioning) he would have made the finals; he's proven he gets stronger as the day wears on. Not sure he would have beaten Aliev in the finals, but my point is, he was sooo close. JO will never beat him, and IMO didn't beat him in the open (he never got a takedown on him). Zain will win a World title soon.

remind of any other representative we've had at this class in recent years? 

Well it should be interesting to see how the new weigh in procedures affect Zain along with everyone else. Additionally I'm not sure how it'll play out between Zain and Logan, ( if Logan decides to go 65 ), but as I said in another post, I was impressed with Zain's performance. He barely lost to Batirov who is a very accomplished and experienced wrestler who came up in the Russian system.

So this gives me hope, but I would like to see Zain compete again, maybe at the U23's or Yarygin. And if he does really well at either or both of these events, if sure would go along way to bolster my belief and no doubt his confidence going forward.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's all fixable with more experience. He had a nice takedown early on and fended off a few attacks a gimme takedown at end made score closer. 00 Wasn't really that close in my opinon. Also I'm my opinion,Batirov was trying to get off the mat after nearly knocking himself out at end of 1st.

this is the match I watched. Edited by sgallan

They just don't give ya enough time to do work on top with the boots, anymore. They were murderous for some of the best ever. See: Schultz, Beloglazov, Sanders,

They will let you work but you have to show turn potential from the start, in the same way they do with the Sadulaev gut. Schultz and especially Beloglazov were good at potential right away as they showed position working on the hips. Helen hit a variation that kind of technique in her final. Zains bow and arrow is done in increments, he loads it up in steps; ankle, knee, trap leg, cover hip, crank head, etc... you do not get that kind of time in FS. It seems like it is something he can tweak to get more time.

The true potential argument should be irrelevant. It's more subjective UWW BS. How about a timeframe to improve? 10 or 15 seconds perhaps. Some guys are given time to work and others are whistled back to their feet immediately. Zain is pretty damn close even at this level, with better time management he's in the mix. I think he can beat anybody that was in this tournament, Ramonov and Bekbulatov perhaps a different story.

Zain has come along nicely.  He's progressively made gains and to date a world team and a win at the tournament is 

fantastic for a college junior/senior.     These folk guys keep beating out the freestyle only guys, we may need to add more folk to the system. .   

Zain wrestled for one of the best freestyle programs in the country while at Benton. I've been to several Benton freestyle workouts and I've never seen Scott Hughes teaching legs for freestyle. Gutwrenches, laces, yes.

He's regressed at folkstyle U. Folkstyle U hasn't had a world medalist since 2002.

The coaches at folkstyle U should have work on his nuetral game, throwing in legs and pinning lesser opponents isn't going to get the Hodge winner a world medal.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of PSU but your post makes it sound like those are the only two techniques he used in freestyle. And to say that he has regressed means that you think he would have been on our world team in high school which is utterly ridiculous. Zane has not regressed in freestyle although he certainly has improved more in Folkstyle because Penn State wrestles folkstyle. What other help he can get during the off-season is great but their first priority is winning NCAA. And Zain has improved in both styles while at college. To say that he has digressed in any type of wrestling since he's gone to Penn State is ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of PSU but your post makes it sound like those are the only two techniques he used in freestyle. And to say that he has regressed means that you think he would have been on our world team in high school which is utterly ridiculous. Zane has not regressed in freestyle although he certainly has improved more in Folkstyle because Penn State wrestles folkstyle. What other help he can get during the off-season is great but their first priority is winning NCAA. And Zain has improved in both styles while at college. To say that he has digressed in any type of wrestling since he's gone to Penn State is ridiculous.

He has regressed his freestyle technique since his days at Benton.

I've never said he should have a world team in high school. I have no idea how you could make such an assumption.

Edited by cjc007

his improvement in folk alone guarantee he hasn't regressed in freestyle.

Him gut wrenching some high schoolers with a belly full of Twizzlers?

He looked lost getting reversed for one against Batriov.

PA freestyle states is no joke.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

Yeah Batirov would probably take a few losses at PA Freestyle STATES!

Now that was funny.     I found the comparison of high schoolers to Batirov pretty funny myself.    

Yup, that's regression for you.   He was beating up 14 year olds and now he lost by a point to Batirov.  lol I love this place.