Sign in to follow this  
Wrestling17601

Time to for all of you to each force 3 others to sign ...

We're at a pathetic 24,000 signatures right now. Frankly, I think anything under 500,000 sends a poor message that wrestling is not widely cared about in the U.S. I'd love to see us reach a million. Please take some time/ACTION and convince at least 3 relatives/friends to sign the petition. I just got one myself, will have my 3 by tonight. Let's go to WORK boys.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... 0/ClDPYshl

It's easy to get signatures of people to save a dropped D1 program.

I think we are seeing how few people care about freestyle (I am not one of them).

I recognize and respect your preference of wrestling style...but ask that you consider the ripple effect of dropping wrestling from the Olympics. Non-revenue sports exist at the collegiate level largly because of the path they provide to international competition. D1 Wrestling (and gymnastics...diving...boxing...etc.) have been under intense scrutiny for the last 40 years for a litany of reasons (Title IX, Fiscal, University brand association, etc.). Dropping the marketing significance of having a sport be one of the Olympic core sports may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back for some schools. Something to consider...

I have never been a proponent of the easy answer...because there usually isn't one for complex problems like this. Simply saving the sport at the Olympic level will not mean saving it at the college level. However, when all the other factors are considered, saving wrestling (in any form) at the Olympic level does strengthen the argument to keep it at the college level. Given what we've seen over these 40 years, can we afford to disregard this threat to our sport? Yours to decide...but for me, I have signed the petition and am rallying others to do so as well. It is (likely) a small thing, but momentum of any kind often starts small. I am also encouraging prople to look for other ways to demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the IOC recommendation.

Thanks

rjs

I think we are seeing how few people care about freestyle (I am not one of them).

I recognize and respect your preference of wrestling style...but ask that you consider the ripple effect of dropping wrestling from the Olympics. Non-revenue sports exist at the collegiate level largly because of the path they provide to international competition. D1 Wrestling (and gymnastics...diving...boxing...etc.) have been under intense scrutiny for the last 40 years for a litany of reasons (Title IX, Fiscal, University brand association, etc.). Dropping the marketing significance of having a sport be one of the Olympic core sports may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back for some schools. Something to consider...

I have never been a proponent of the easy answer...because there usually isn't one for complex problems like this. Simply saving the sport at the Olympic level will not mean saving it at the college level. However, when all the other factors are considered, saving wrestling (in any form) at the Olympic level does strengthen the argument to keep it at the college level. Given what we've seen over these 40 years, can we afford to disregard this threat to our sport? Yours to decide...but for me, I have signed the petition and am rallying others to do so as well. It is (likely) a small thing, but momentum of any kind often starts small. I am also encouraging prople to look for other ways to demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the IOC recommendation.

Thanks

rjs

Please read more carefully next time. I was stating a fact that most people that follow wrestling here do not care about freestyle, do you disagree?

Also, if you would have read more carefully, you would've noticed that I am not one of those people who do not care about freestyle. I will repeat so you get it this time, I disagree with the IOC's decision, I signed the petition and I believe in freestyle but understand most wrestling followers in the U.S. do not.

Thanks

rjs

Please read more carefully next time. I was stating a fact that most people that follow wrestling here do not care about freestyle, do you disagree?

Also, if you would have read more carefully, you would've noticed that I am not one of those people who do not care about freestyle. I will repeat so you get it this time, I disagree with the IOC's decision, I signed the petition and I believe in freestyle but understand most wrestling followers in the U.S. do not.

Not intended to offend...however, when I read "...we are seeing how few people care about freestyle (I am not one of them)...", it reads to me that you do not count yourself as one of the few people who care. Perhaps not how you meant it, but I hope you can see why I came to that conclusion. This was compounded (to me at least) by the fact that your original post did not state whether you had signed the petition. Based on my understanding of what you did write, I concluded that you had not done so. Again, no offense intended...

In the end, I hope you were able to look past what you apparently took as a transgression and actually understood my point. Put another way, I am declaring that we are often our own worst enemies and must at least partially blame ourselves for where we are in this mess. A point that is somewhat supported by the fact that we very often fail to even communicate well with each other...let alone with a broader base of potential fans and supporters.

I do not disagree with your position regarding many who frequent the college boards. You are probably correct that many of them do not care much about freestyle (or Greco...or women's wrestling, for that matter). I would suggest that many of those who fit your description are sadly short-sighted when it comes to understanding the ripple effect that I was trying to describe in my original post.

Regardless...thank you for signing the petition.

We should "FORCE" three others to sign huh? So everyone here should find three people and hold them down and FORCE them to sign your silly little petition? :D

It's amazing how people can nit pick the usage of one word even under such serious circumstances. Common sense does a pretty good job explaining to most people what the word "force" means in my post. I guess not for you ..

Silly little petition? Unless you've presented an alternate course of action, keep your mouth shut and do the right thing. I didn't start the petition by the way. I just noticed that all of you regular message board members thought your responsibility was over after you signed. I'm hear to remind you to stop being lazy and contribute to something that will potentially bring more exposure wrestling. My apologies ...

I signed.

Can someone get Jon Jones to force Dana White to sign? :D

btw: the whitehouse just increased the signature requirement to 75k from 25k. All it really gets is a whitehouse response rather than anything actionable.

If there was only a way to force NBC to make an official statement in favor of wrestling....