emk1

Rutgers Dual Meet Team

Looks like Rutgers may have a rather strong dual meet team with their balance.  Rutgers hosts Iowa, Ohio State and Penn State.  Any thoughts about Rutgers winning 1 or more of these duals.

Thanks 

If PSU and tOSU bring their #1s, Rutgers has no chance. 

PSU will start the season with 5 #1s and 2 more top 10s. That doesn't include Suriano. Plus, at 133 and 141, they have guys who could beat Rutgers, although Rutgers is favored in those matchups.

tOSU has 3 #1s, 2 #2s, anda 5 more top 10s (including former AAs Micah Jordan and Joey Mckenna, plus 2 qualifiers). 

I don't see how Rutgers could possibly win either of those duals. 

They'll have a pretty good dual meet team and think they have a legit shot at 3 AAs even without Suriano.  Posted this in another thread what their lineup might look like:

125: Mackall or Metzler

133: Delvecchio NQ possible AA

141: Ashnault AA1-4

149: Giraldo NQ

157: Richie Lewis AA 5-8

165: Van Brill possible NQ

174: Pagano possible NQ

184: Gravina NQ possible AA

197: Mulligan or Correnti (Possible NQ)

HWT: Gross NQ

I don't think they'll be able to hang with tOSU or PSU but they should still be fun meets to attend.  Not sure about Iowa either but Lewis vs Kremerer should be a really fun match. 

Someone mentioned in that other thread that AA was still recovering from an injury and it might hold out at the beginning of the season or possibly longer.  Does anybody know if there's any truth to that?

I really hope AA wins a national title this year.  He's more than capable of beating anybody if he gets his offense going and is a beast on top.

Don't think they do very well against Iowa even with a down year.

125: Iowa 3-0  Even with them slotting their worst 125 in 10 years, I will go with Brands getting their guy ready over a young and unproven Rutgers opponent.

133: Tied 3-3  Delvecchio will win a controlled match.

141: Rutgers 7-3  Ashnault should win comfortably and a MD may not happen as Iowa is pretty good at keeping down bonus in Duals.

149: Tied 7-7  Sorenson puts a beat down here

157: Iowa 10-7  Don't be surprised if Kemerer gets bonus here.  Lewis is good, but Kemerer is something special.

165: Iowa 13-7  Marinelli with a controlled victory.

174: Iowa 16-7  Young with a controlled victory.

184: Iowa 16-10  Will Wilcke be back down here?  Give the win either way to Gravina for now.

197: Iowa 16-13  This is a tossup for now, but I will give it to Rutgers

285: Iowa 22-13  If Stoll wrestles there is no way Iowa loses this dual.  If he doesn't, Rutgers could sneak it out if everything went their way.

They'll have a pretty good dual meet team and think they have a legit shot at 3 AAs even without Suriano. Posted this in another thread what their lineup might look like:

125: Mackall or Metzler

133: Delvecchio NQ possible AA

141: Ashnault AA1-4

149: Giraldo NQ

157: Richie Lewis AA 5-8

165: Van Brill possible NQ

174: Pagano possible NQ

184: Gravina NQ possible AA

197: Mulligan or Correnti (Possible NQ)

HWT: Gross NQ

I don't think they'll be able to hang with tOSU or PSU but they should still be fun meets to attend. Not sure about Iowa either but Lewis vs Kremerer should be a really fun match.

Someone mentioned in that other thread that AA was still recovering from an injury and it might hold out at the beginning of the season or possibly longer. Does anybody know if there's any truth to that?

I really hope AA wins a national title this year. He's more than capable of beating anybody if he gets his offense going and is a beast on top.

Ashnult's lack of a NC is merely the result of the quality of the competition. He won't be the first top ranked guy out of high school that doesn't win a national title. (Not trying to be premature on stating the outcome of the 2018 tournament but Heil will still be there.) I heard he has a bad shoulder so if that is true, it will be a difficult challenge to knock off Heil not being 100%.

Ashnult's lack of a NC is merely the result of the quality of the competition. He won't be the first top ranked guy out of high school that doesn't win a national title. (Not trying to be premature on stating the outcome of the 2018 tournament but Heil will still be there.) I heard he has a bad shoulder so if that is true, it will be a difficult challenge to knock off Heil not being 100%.

Heil, Jack, and McKenna are the top 3 in that order imo. I'd say Ashnault maxes out at 2nd or 3rd - I like him over Meredith, and Thorn for sure. It is certainly within his ability to beat McKenna, but I'd take the latter if I'm being honest. I think Heil and Jack have his number though, and he will have to beat one of them at some point in the tournament to get the title. 

Eirman is the wildcard at this weight. At his best he sneaks into the top 3. 

Don't think they do very well against Iowa even with a down year.

125: Iowa 3-0 Even with them slotting their worst 125 in 10 years, I will go with Brands getting their guy ready over a young and unproven Rutgers opponent.

133: Tied 3-3 Delvecchio will win a controlled match.

141: Rutgers 7-3 Ashnault should win comfortably and a MD may not happen as Iowa is pretty good at keeping down bonus in Duals.

149: Tied 7-7 Sorenson puts a beat down here

157: Iowa 10-7 Don't be surprised if Kemerer gets bonus here. Lewis is good, but Kemerer is something special.

165: Iowa 13-7 Marinelli with a controlled victory.

174: Iowa 16-7 Young with a controlled victory.

184: Iowa 16-10 Will Wilcke be back down here? Give the win either way to Gravina for now.

197: Iowa 16-13 This is a tossup for now, but I will give it to Rutgers

285: Iowa 22-13 If Stoll wrestles there is no way Iowa loses this dual. If he doesn't, Rutgers could sneak it out if everything went their way.

Rutgers is favored at 125

I hope Stoll is healthy. I doubt he wrestles many Duals either way.

I'm picking Rutgers.

Why is Rutgers favored at 125? Mackall and Metzler are both completely unproven Freshmen??

Perez has has pretty terrible results.

Have you seen Metzler wrestle? He is fast and technical. If he can put on done bulk before the season starts, he won't be the worse Big10 125 starter.

Mackell was the overall #71 recruit.

I'd pick either over Iowa

Perez has has pretty terrible results.

Have you seen Metzler wrestle? He is fast and technical. If he can put on done bulk before the season starts, he won't be the worse Big10 125 starter.

Mackell was the overall #71 recruit.

I'd pick either over Iowa

From what has been said on HR, I doubt it will be Perez(9-3 isn't exactly terrible results by the way).  Either way, Brands has been too proven at 125 for me to make the #137 recruit(not #71) RS Freshman or a True Freshman a favorite.

From what has been said on HR, I doubt it will be Perez(9-3 isn't exactly terrible results by the way). Either way, Brands has been too proven at 125 for me to make the #137 recruit(not #71) RS Freshman or a True Freshman a favorite.

#71 on intermat's list

Who at Iowa are you picking to win at 125?

#71 on intermat's list

Who at Iowa are you picking to win at 125?

Amazing there is that kind of disparity between ranking services.  

Whomever they put on the mat.  Like I said, the track record for Iowa under Brands at 125 is too good for me to consider a Rutgers Freshman the favorite.  Would I be surprised by a Rutgers win?  No. But, I wouldn't pick one at 125.

Amazing there is that kind of disparity between ranking services.

Whomever they put on the mat. Like I said, the track record for Iowa under Brands at 125 is too good for me to consider a Rutgers Freshman the favorite. Would I be surprised by a Rutgers win? No. But, I wouldn't pick one at 125.

Fair enough. Iowa has an incredible track record at the lower weights. I'm glad Spencer Lee is there. I wish Teasdale was going too.

They just don't have a lot of talent to work with this year at the lower weights, unless they pull Spencer's shirt.

I can wait to see his development under the Brands and training with Gilman and Clark everyday.

Guest ShannonSofield

Then why are they ducking Rider this year? 

They have been offered several dates publicly that match up with existing duals.