Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Cadet Worlds

Minor miracle in the semi-finals. America wins a match without scoring an offensive point. We actually got a passive call for us. Schultz beats the Iranian 1-0 to move to the gold medal match. We also had two other wrestlers get beat in the quarters and unfortunately didn't make the repechage, another wrestler who went 1-1 and only one wrestler who lost his first match and that was a 3-3 criteria lost. Nice first day for America.

Minor miracle in the semi-finals. America wins a match without scoring an offensive point. We actually got a passive call for us. Schultz beats the Iranian 1-0 to move to the gold medal match. We also had two other wrestlers get beat in the quarters and unfortunately didn't make the repechage, another wrestler who went 1-1 and only one wrestler who lost his first match and that was a 3-3 criteria lost. Nice first day for America.

1-0 is an odd score. Is Greco reffing different from FS? In FS, there are two shot clocks when there is no scoring.

1-0 is an odd score. Is Greco reffing different from FS? In FS, there are two shot clocks when there is no scoring.

Probably due to 2 2 minute periods for Cadets rather than 2 3 minute periods. Less time to call passivities. 

Edited by PSUMike

Schultz's pin over the Russian was slick as hell.

Schultz would be the top heavyweight in the country most of the time. He just had to compete in a time where you ever a GOAT and a Cali potential 4 timer

He is going to be excellent in college if he decides to go that route.

Watching our matches this morning, and I was pretty impressed by our kids. Congrats to Schultz, hopefully he can bring home the Gold.

Not sure I like this two day format yet, but maybe it'll grow on me. As far as some of the scoring I saw, well some of it had me scratching my head a few times.

Plas, yes it is different. There is no shot clock or anything like that. the referee will make a passive call and either get confirmation or not. The wrestling continues and upon a second passive call the other wrestler is awarded one point. Maybe I'm not thinking clearly but it seems America is on the short end of receiving passive calls more than most countries. Maybe International officials are looking for something different but we seem to get less calls that way than others. Schultz had one passive against them so had he received a second one the iranian would have won for scoring last. I watched the match and in my eyes Schultz was definitely the aggressor. The guy he faces tomorrow in the finals from Hungary he defeated a couple months ago 4-0 in a tournament in Europe.

And looking at the team standings or Point totals, in addition to Schultz the two Americans who got beat in the quarters are both going to place in the top 10 so our team results or not too bad after the first day. Even the wrestler who went one and one if all the repechage matches fall just right he could place in the top 10.

Did I miss something in world events here recently? Is Iran now part of Europe? I see the mat.com has several times mentioned that Schultz semi opponent from Iran was the 2017 Cadet European champion. In fact, I'm just reading the article about his semi-final win, it says that the Hungarian he's going to face in the finals is also the 2017 Cadet European champion.

Probably due to 2 2 minute periods for Cadets rather than 2 3 minute periods. Less time to call passivities.

Mike you are probably 100% correct. If that I had longer to call us for Passive they probably would have. Two 2-minute periods to me seems rather short. Our cadets here in freestyle/greco tournaments in America wrestle for 3 minutes

Did I miss something in world events here recently? Is Iran now part of Europe? I see the mat.com has several times mentioned that Schultz semi opponent from Iran was the 2017 Cadet European champion. In fact, I'm just reading the article about his semi-final win, it says that the Hungarian he's going to face in the finals is also the 2017 Cadet European champion.

UWW has Iran correctly listed as the Asian Champion at Greco 100kg

It would be amazing if we could get a greco champ in both cadets and juniors in the same year. Rooting hard for Schultz. The upperweight talent we have in high school is amazing. NCAA heavyweight will be fun for the next several years and the freestyle and greco teams should be well represented.

Not quite as good so far on day 2, but it defintely feels like our guys are competitive on this level. 4 of the 5 are still eligible for repechage, and in total we put 5 of 10 to the quarters. Much, much more impressive than most years in greco. Hopefully we get a little help in the semis today and get a few of our boys pulled back in.

Well damn, still not much help for our greco guys in the semis. We did get 2 guys pulled back in and 2 more got knocked out, but including yesterday we had 4 wrestlers make the 1/4's and not get pulled back in. Both our guys that got pulled in today lost 1st round. Oh well, at least Reinche and Hendricks will be going for us tomorrow morning. All thats left today is for Schultz to win this title!

Colton Schultz is a Cadet World Champion! In addition to him three other guys scored points. Just like the other poster said we have two more who got pulled back into the repechage today. We were a little unlucky in that a bunch of our wrestlers made the quarters and only a couple got pulled back in. Still all in all an excellent job by the cadet Greco team.

He did it! Takedown with 15 seconds left while losing on criteria, gets the 3-1 win! Our first Cadet Greco world champ since 1997! A cadet world champ and junior world champ in the same year, awesome step for our greco program! Congrats to Cohlton Schultz!!

Excellent match. Not a ton of scoring but it didn't seem like the snoozefest that a lot of senior Greco matches did this year. Is it possible that the shortened time periods make for more action?