Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Cadet Worlds

It is a young team. Little disappointed in the results, but not a terrible performance

I wouldnt be too disappointed just yet, we put 1 in the finals and have 3 pulled back into repechage, so we still have a chance for 4 mealds and 1 champ on day 1. The only guy who didnt get pulled back in, Decateur, lost 8-6 to a returning medalist.

I feel like our stronger guys go tomorrow (for the most part) so if we get 3 or 4 medals from this group I think thats a great start. By the sounds of it Lewan is looking great, so you have to like his chances at gold tomorrow. Then we have our returning champ in McHenry, a new 100kg but a very athletic big guy and our big guys have done great at age group levels for several years now. We also have Brooks, taking the place of a returning medalist who seems like he should have a good chance, Teemer who looked awesome to make the team, and Robert Howard.

Two girls going for bronze next, hopefully closing out the womens tournament on a positive note.

I wouldnt be too disappointed just yet, we put 1 in the finals and have 3 pulled back into repechage, so we still have a chance for 4 mealds and 1 champ on day 1. The only guy who didnt get pulled back in, Decateur, lost 8-6 to a returning medalist.

I feel like our stronger guys go tomorrow (for the most part) so if we get 3 or 4 medals from this group I think thats a great start. By the sounds of it Lewan is looking great, so you have to like his chances at gold tomorrow. Then we have our returning champ in McHenry, a new 100kg but a very athletic big guy and our big guys have done great at age group levels for several years now. We also have Brooks, taking the place of a returning medalist who seems like he should have a good chance, Teemer who looked awesome to make the team, and Robert Howard.

Two girls going for bronze next, hopefully closing out the womens tournament on a positive note.

Yeah they are wrestling fine. We have been spoiled this year with our crazy freestyle success, so I was hoping for us to win this too, but I didn't expect it.

Solid team, no doubt.

Plas, yes it is different. There is no shot clock or anything like that. the referee will make a passive call and either get confirmation or not. The wrestling continues and upon a second passive call the other wrestler is awarded one point. Maybe I'm not thinking clearly but it seems America is on the short end of receiving passive calls more than most countries. Maybe International officials are looking for something different but we seem to get less calls that way than others. Schultz had one passive against them so had he received a second one the iranian would have won for scoring last. I watched the match and in my eyes Schultz was definitely the aggressor. The guy he faces tomorrow in the finals from Hungary he defeated a couple months ago 4-0 in a tournament in Europe.

The coaches we heard in Fargo and other high level events such as the trials were complaining because their athletes were being called for passivity even when they were "holding the center".  They thought that was the most important thing to consider or equally important to taking holds, hooking, not blocking, or making a legitimate scoring attempt.  Actually, "holding the center" is the lowest criterion that refs look for when determining passivity.

1st indicator - is either athlete making more of a legitimate scoring attempt with an attack such as an arm throw, slide by, duck under, high dive, head throw, or any other type of legitimate attack, not just a fake attack?  If so but no scoring is occurring, give the passive call to the wrestler taking fewer attempts to legitimately try to score.  If perceived as equal, move on the 2nd indicator.

2nd indicator - is either athlete taking holds and hooks more than the other?  If so, call the wrestler not taking holds and hooks as the passive wrestler.  If perceived as equal, move on to 3rd indicator.

3rd indicator - is either athlete blocking out or pushing the other athlete away more than the other athlete to not allow them to attack?  If so, call that wrestler that is blocking out and pushing away more as the passive wrestler.  If perceived as equal, move on the 4th indicator.

4th indicator - if 1st, 2nd, or 3rd indicator does not give you a determination for who is passive, then and only then do we look at which wrestler is holding the center.  The wrestler holding the center more should be the one that benefits from the passive call and his opponent should be called for passive.

Edited by neutralposition

Yeah they are wrestling fine. We have been spoiled this year with our crazy freestyle success, so I was hoping for us to win this too, but I didn't expect it.

Solid team, no doubt.

I agree, I was hoping for the sweep too. It's still not out of the question tho, we have 4 more in the quarters today, Azerbijian only 2 if I saw correctly. Our quartet in the 1/4's all seem to be wrestling really well, and still a chance for Howard to be pulled back in if Iran can keep winning. If we can get a gold from Lewan, we have 2 more going for bronze, plus Tagg went 1-1 in repechage so he could maybe get 7th-10th points and every point will help. It's an uphill battle for sure, but certainly not out of reach just yet.

McHenry gives us 4 in the semis!

Nomad posted team scores after this morning session, USA and Russia tied for 1st with 49 points, Azerbijian in 3rd with 42, Iran in 4th with 40.

McHenry vs Russia in the semis, big match there.

Russia has 2 in the finals today, we have 1, Azerbijian 4. Russia has 1 going for bronze, we have 2, Azerbijian none.

Russia and USA with 4 in semis, Azerbijian with only 1. Russia vs USA in one weight, head to head with Azerbijian at another.

Jacori could've won that. I've seen our guys get behind a guy and lose it in two matches in a row. We are normally good at finishing there. That was the difference in the match.

Also annoyed that Jacori thought he needed a push out to win. Why don't our guys know the damn rules?

It should be called 2-0 for the counter, since you're not technically supposed to give up points in an offensive attack when you put yourself there. You don't give up 2-and-2 each time you lace up a leg or gut. It's such a weird move for international officials to see, most don't know how to call it. Same with the spladle.