56 replies to this topic

#41 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:52 AM

57 is absolutely harder than 50

That doesn't mean Spencer Lee isn't going to be our rep eventually.

He was too small to be competitive at the higher weights previously. He is now training with the Brands, Gilman, and the rest of the lightweights in Iowa, plus bulking with their strength and conditioning coach.

I have faith in his progress. Technically he is up there with the best guys. He now needs the size and he will get there.

He is so good. He wrestled stupid vs Fix in their two matches and Fix was the better man that day, but barely. Remember, in the first match Lee was 5-0 with 30 seconds to go and basically handed the match to Fix. Fix scored four points off Lee's shots.

#42 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

From the OSU board...

O/T: Not going to create a new thread for this, but Willie Saylor just tweeted that Daton has offered to wrestle Gilman at Flo's WNO. Kid is utterly fearless.

Gilman has to agree right?  A guy like that can't turn down a match even if he has nothing to gain from it.  It'd be awesome if it happens.

He won't.  Oranges. 

Anyone but Heil '18

#43 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:10 AM

Since Gilman now wrestles for a living I would assume he would be paid for his participation in this hypothetical match. Would Fix be able to retain eligibility if he wrestled him?

#44 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:40 AM

Since Gilman now wrestles for a living I would assume he would be paid for his participation in this hypothetical match. Would Fix be able to retain eligibility if he wrestled him?

As long as he wasn't paid.  Unpaid college guys wrestle paid senior level guys all the time.

#45 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:48 AM

Gilman over Fix easy

#46 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:37 AM

I gave Hall no chance at NCAA's and he ends up winning it.  I wouldn't count out Fix so easily.  Sure Jr's are different from Sr's but he teched his way through Jr's.  But then again, Gilman took silver in Sr's.  I think it might be a good match with Gilman having the edge, but in a situation where just about anything can happen. 

mspart

#47 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

As long as he wasn't paid.  Unpaid college guys wrestle paid senior level guys all the time.

Would this be considered different than the NYAC or Schultz by the NCAA since it is a one off match? I can't think of any situations where a senior level wrestler was paid strictly to compete in one single match against an 'amateur'.

#48 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:24 AM

Is Fix the next Kyle Snyder, just on the opposite side of the weight spectrum?

#49 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

Would this be considered different than the NYAC or Schultz by the NCAA since it is a one off match? I can't think of any situations where a senior level wrestler was paid strictly to compete in one single match against an 'amateur'.

It wouldn't matter if the senior level guy is paid.  Just like it wouldn't matter if you competed against a college guy who was getting paid on the side while wrestling in college.  

All that matters is how the rules on compensation and using your likeness and such apply to Fix.  Gilman does not enter the equation for Fix's eligibility.

#50 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

team iowa, too afraid to throw Gilman in the ring..

#51 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

I'd love to see it and I believe Fix is right there in at that level, but I wouldn't expect Gilman to accept.   Hopefully he does.    

#52 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

When is WNO?
Most of you are reasonable, but those of you who think Fix gets run over in a FS match are in hard hard denial.
Folkstyle give me Gillman all day, but freestyle.... soooo interested in those results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#53 Old_Marine_Wrestler

Old_Marine_Wrestler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

Fix is something special but right now Gilman would beat him similar to how he did Suriano last folk season (close in score - he controlled the entire match).

Gilman has found his groove. He tore through the WTT's and just placed 2nd in the World.  

I like NIke but wait a minute, the sport supports so put some money in it

#54 lu1979

lu1979

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Gilman over Fix easy

Gilman may win but I don't think it would be easy.  The kid Fix beat last year in Jrs 10-3 to win the bronze (A Yatsenko Ukr) gave TG a very good match in the 1st round at worlds this year.  Then after losing 3-0 to Gilman Yatsenko came back thru 3 opponents for the bronze.  Fix can definitely compete on the Sr level right now.  

Edited by lu1979, 14 September 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#55 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

Gilman may win but I don't think it would be easy.  The kid Fix beat last year in Jrs 10-3 to win the bronze (A Yatsenko Ukr) gave TG a very good match in the 1st round at worlds this year.  Then after losing 3-0 to Gilman Yatsenko came back thru 3 opponents for the bronze.  Fix can definitely compete on the Sr level right now.  

I agree with that.   The beauty about Fix is he's actually freestyling out there.   None of this folk approach with freestyle tactics.    Fix is a freestyle machine.    

• spladle08 likes this

#56 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

I think Gilman matches up well.  He snatches that single and picks it up which would help him against Fix's counter stuff.  Of course Gilman can't finish that single and often walks it out of bounds and scoring by 1s against Fix would be dangerous when he can blitz so many points so quick in transitions to the mat.  Very interesting match and I'd pick Gilman.

I also think a match like this with a weight allowance could help Fix.  Fix isn't any bigger but Gilman is so great at making weight and being full strength.

#57 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,957 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:36 AM

Gilman over Fix for the next year or so. In FS Gilman holds position so well and is still a little stronger. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users