Sign in to follow this  
wfan24

Russian reaction after worlds

I read many of the interviews and forums before/after worlds. Few things that stick out and I will translate some of the interviews more formally later, but here is a summary:

--> Sadulaev apparently absolutely refused to take any pills or any kind of supplements from doctors which would help him increase his weight and strength for the new weight class. One of the coaches didn't seem happy with that (Kuramagomedov, who is Rashidov's coach). 

--> There seems to have been confusion why Sadulaev was pushed to 97kg. Different sources say different things. Apparently he did not make a single start at 97kg aside from nationals and that was not the plan. The consensus was that he was around 92kg at match time.

--> Sadulaev was apparently not doing well in the room and was losing matches (e.g., to Valiev), which is highly unusual for him.

--> There is an interview with Sadulaev where he said he promises this won't happen again. That said, Sadulaev himself seems respectful of all opponents, including Snyder. I did not hear him in any interview after worlds say 1 bad thing about Snyder or being unprepared. He said its a good learning experience and will prepare better next time.

--> Tedeev doesn't seem particularly worried. He says they had to try new guys and other teams came with no.1's and that the main goal is Olympics. Tedeev called the worlds "an unprincipled tournament for the team" (sounds like excuses) which pissed off people all over, especially fans. They ask: if the worlds is not a principled tournament, which one is? He also says soon that Bekbulatov, Kurbanaliev and Geduev will be back (one underwent surgery but is recovering). 

--> Tedeev feels that Sadulaev will beat Snyder comfortably if prepared and didn't seem worried. At the same he doesn't care about the Snyder/Sadulaev rivalry in general but more about the total medals. There seems to be a serious disagreement between Tedeev and Sadulaev's coach on where to wrestle next.  I get the feeling Tedeev and Sadulaev are not exactly best friends (Tedeev says: Sadulaev lost due to lack of concentration and carelessness). 

--> Tedeev also says the team lacks experience: Valiev never wrestled for Russia at worlds and Tsabolov also lacks experience. 

--> Valiev says he felt good against Yazdani and that the experience was good for next time.

--> There are also discussions that there are serious problems between Tedeev/Mamiashvilli and the Dagestani contingent. And that many regions are not even caring too much about Russia but about pushing their own regions and that this creates trouble. For instance, in Ossetia they will celebrate a medal of one of their wrestlers competing for other countries than some other Russian medal. There seems to be non-trivial and serious political issues in team selection in Russia.  Tedeev seems disconnected with the team.

--> Sajidov seems quite unhappy with Tedeev, even before worlds (after Russian nationals) calling him a nationalist , e.g., supporting Ossetian wrestlers.

--> Others are saying that Tedeev/Mamiashvilli are a poison and must be removed ASAP form the team.

--> Tedeev says Rashidov did not follow the plan in the final against Aliev, but overall they are not unhappy with him.

--> Rashidov says his father sold all of his possessions (business, truck, etc) to help him reach his dreams.

--> There was a funny picture of the previous coach before Tedeev (forgot his name) saying: "How are you guys doing without me now?" :)  And another funny meme of Gatsalov that says "Who is Snyder?" :) 

--> Fadzaev says Sadulaev should stay at 86kg and its not clear why he went up to 97 given he weighs 92kg.

--> I get the feeling on the forums that the posters (many quite knowledgeable about wrestling) give credit to the U.S. team for the performance and so does Sadulaev's coach (who doesn't seem particularly happy with the preparation time). Sadulaev's coach seems to imply also that he was pushed way too quickly to 97 after his wedding, Olympics. 

Very interesting. Thank you.

Overall they seem to be respectfully us.

Pretending they don't take worlds seriously is a lie, but other than that, props.

I am excited to see them try to take it from us next year. We likely have 6+ medalists returning, so it will be a battle.

I would love to see any combination of Gedoev, Yazdani and Cox in the 86 finals.

--> Tedeev doesn't seem particularly worried. He says they had to try new guys and other teams came with no.1's and that the main goal is Olympics. Tedeev called the worlds "an unprincipled tournament for the team" (sounds like excuses) which pissed off people all over, especially fans. They ask: if the worlds is not a principled tournament, which one is? He also says soon that Bekbulatov, Kurbanaliev and Geduev will be back (one underwent surgery but is recovering).  

Has there been any discussion about Ramonov's absence?

What is the deal with Sajidov and Tedeev. Sajidov seemed pretty hostile about more than just wrestling. What is the political divide there? Surely this can not be because of a team Silver medal!

Update

Sorry wfan24 I did not see what you wrote here-makes some sense now.

"Sajidov seems quite unhappy with Tedeev, even before worlds (after Russian nationals) calling him a nationalist , e.g., supporting Ossetian wrestlers."

Edited by PRyan2012

AnklePicker,

If anything, it seems Sad doesn't like to take supplements, not before and not now. What seems to be the consensus is that he was basically not as prepared for worlds as he was before. There were comments that even at 86kg he would have had tough time this year. This also jives with the comments by various Russian coaches who didn't seem too worried about his loss.

AnklePicker,

If anything, it seems Sad doesn't like to take supplements, not before and not now. What seems to be the consensus is that he was basically not as prepared for worlds as he was before. There were comments that even at 86kg he would have had tough time this year. This also jives with the comments by various Russian coaches who didn't seem too worried about his loss.

Well he did just get married and you know what Mick said to Rock.

https://youtu.be/0U8_LX7ccC4

--> One thing I should mention is a comment by Mamiashvilli who said that this focus on separate regions pushing their guys is problematic and has to be fixed. There are lots of politics involved.

--> Tedeev also said that he expects for Geduev, Bekbulatov (surgery), Kurbanaliev (also got married) and Makhov (!) to return and wrestle next year and that this year was a try out year for new guys to create internal contenders.

I don't think Russia should worry too much, I suspect they will do just fine next year. That said, the rift between the combo Tedeev/Mamiashvili vs. the rest of the coaches seems to be serious and not subsiding anytime soon. Some people were even writing for Saitiev to get involved. 

Here is the interview from Sajidov about Tedeev: [http://riaderbent.ru/sazhid-sazhidov-tedeev-natsionalist-i-ne-otvechaet-za-svoi-slova.html]

He says, translated:

"... I feel Tedeev does not think about the team results but about his own politics -- internal politics, under the carpet. You know, Tedeev's words never match what he does. I have not talked to him and to me he hasn't said much. but we talk about work and keep distance. If he thinks that we need to embrace each other, run after him, he is deeply mistaken. No, it is him that has to run after the wrestlers and their coaches, who prepare the wrestlers. If Tedeev thinks he is preparing the team and is making them champions, he is wrong again. Even I do not make them champions. This is the their job and their coach's job. 

They, in the coaching staff of Russia, think that all head coaches have to kiss their ass (roughly translated), but we are not taught this way. As far as the team goes, it does not suffer because me and Tedeev are not talking, but because of nationalism..."

There is a lot of division in the Northern Caucasus. Ossetians are kind of the odd man out because they are non-Muslim (mostly). However, Kabardians don't like Ingush people. Everyone thinks Chechens are crazy. Dagestan is a very diverse region itself. There is some pan-nationalism among the Muslim regions but there is always going to be local favoritism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege

manyak - I may have asked this before but have you read or heard of this book before? I found it to be a great introduction to the Caucasus region. I'm curious as to your thoughts on it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Let-Our-Fame-Be-Great/dp/0465029043

No all my knowledge comes from having friends there and living there for a short time to train wrestling. Haven't read any books on the subject, just some wikipedia articles.

In 2013, right after the Olympics, first year of a new quad, Russia sent 6 new guys and 1 veteran (last year of 7 weights). They finished 2nd in the team race to Iran, first time in a very long time and after some incredibly dominating performances at World Championships. The next two years they pretty well dominated, including 5 gold's in 2014.

I expect they will put an even stronger team on the mat next year. Kind of crazy that a team that took 2nd place by 1 point and still beat teams like Turkey and Georgia who were putting out the best teams they have every had, is considered a down year.

They will return the silver medalist at 61 in Rashidov. At 65 Bekubaltov teched this years world champ at Euro's, so if he gets healthy and finally gets to be their rep, he has to be one of the favorites. I think I heard Ramanov will move to 70, if he stays 65 he is a huge favorite, and if he is the guy at 70 he and Chamizo would probably be the top 2 contenders there. Kurbanaliev at 70 would be a strong title contender as well. I think Tsabolov is pretty clearly the 2nd best guy at 74 in the world. 79 seems like a perfect weight for Geduev who has definitely outgrown 74 but may not be big enough for 86. We know they have a ton of depth in the upperweights, so whatever they do with Sadualev and whoever the other guys are at 86, 92, 97 they will all be among the best. 120 seems like the only real question (I'll believe Mahkov is back when I see it).

Obviously we will be bringing a pretty salty lineup ourselves. We won 6 medals this year, have a world champ who didnt place, and in theory could be adding Dake and Taylor to our lineup and we all believe they are both capable of winning medals if not titles. It should be one hell of a fight that will probably come down to the wire again. I'm already excited for next year's worlds!

Best Russian Team:

57 kg: is Bogomoev recovered from being stabbed?

61 kg: Rashidov

65 kg: Bekubaltov/Baev

70 kg: Ramonov

74 kg: Tsabolov

79 kg: Geduev

86 kg: Valiev/Kurugliev/Kudiyamagomedov/Urishev

92 kg: Sadulaev

97 kg: Baystaev

120 kg: Boltukaev/Makhov

Best Russian Team:

57 kg: is Bogomoev recovered from being stabbed?

61 kg: Rashidov

65 kg: Bekubaltov/Baev

70 kg: Ramonov

74 kg: Tsabolov

79 kg: Geduev

86 kg: Valiev/Kurugliev/Kudiyamagomedov/Urishev

92 kg: Sadulaev

97 kg: Baystaev

120 kg: Boltukaev/Makhov

that's a pretty deadly lineup from 61 to 92. I have to imagine someone comes along soon for them at 57. maybe Lebedev was grooming a protege in Yakutia. 

Baytsaev is no slouch but they were spoiled for so long with Gatsalov/Gadisov/Boltukaev. will be interesting to see if Bolt and Makhov comes back and in what kind of shape.