Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Will the TRANSFER Ever Win a NC?

Tomasello is a beast at 125 and we all know about the kid from Lehigh. The following year there will be the coming out party for Spencer Lee. Rutgers has a list of underperforming high school studs; will the TRANSFER be added to that list? Certainly will be fun to watch.

The PSU faithful will say: No he won't! He made a big mistake by leaving and now he has not chance.

The PSU haters will say: Cael and Co are only good because they recruit the best talent. They don't develop anyone or make anyone better. He doesn't need Cael and Co and can do it at anywhere.

The Iowa faithful will say: No he won't! Spencer Lee will bury him when they cross paths!

The OSU faithful will say: He's lucky that Daton Fix will be 133!

The Others will say: Lets wait and see what happens!

I think if we saw anything from this year at 125 it is that anything can happen when we are talking about 1 match. I think everyone thought Gilman had an easy walk to the finals, obviously that didn't happen. Everyone thought Lizak would clean up on Cruz again, that didn't happen. Does Suriano have the talent and opportunity to win 1 if not 3 titles? Absolutely! Could he win 0 and never make the finals? Just as likely!

Tomasello is a beast at 125 and we all know about the kid from Lehigh. The following year there will be the coming out party for Spencer Lee. Rutgers has a list of underperforming high school studs; will the TRANSFER be added to that list? Certainly will be fun to watch.

Please list these underperforming studs from Rutgers?  I think they've done a nice job making AAs out of kids who weren't expected to.  Perrotti, Theobold.  Gravina and Lewis are on the cusp this year as well.

I give him a 50/50 shot this season and 40/60 for his next 2. Simply put, assuming Lee is big enough, he's a better wrestler. Not an order of magnitude but he's better (which is why I was pissed for a week straight after he announced). If Lee is big enough and stays healthy, I honestly do not think he'll lose in 4 seasons. He's that good. Plus, you have Iowa's room vs. Rutgers' room. It's not a comparison despite my disdain for Iowa. No reasonable person can say otherwise. 

Please list these underperforming studs from Rutgers?  I think they've done a nice job making AAs out of kids who weren't expected to.  Perrotti, Theobold.  Gravina and Lewis are on the cusp this year as well.

Winston, Billy Smith ( Hwt )

But all in all they've really evolved as a program since those guys.

Rutgers continues to be a better destination every year.

Edited by LordNelson

I give him a 50/50 shot this season and 40/60 for his next 2. Simply put, assuming Lee is big enough, he's a better wrestler. Not an order of magnitude but he's better (which is why I was pissed for a week straight after he announced). If Lee is big enough and stays healthy, I honestly do not think he'll lose in 4 seasons. He's that good. Plus, you have Iowa's room vs. Rutgers' room. It's not a comparison despite my disdain for Iowa. No reasonable person can say otherwise.

I'm exactly where you are except I think it's 20% chance this year and lower next year (due to Lee and maybe Fix). Tomasello is a bad matchup, in my opinion. He is bigger and stronger and can execute a very tactical game plan if he needs to. By the time NCAAs rolls around, Tomasello will likely have seen Suriano at least once if not twice, and it'll be a redshirt senior former NCAA champ versus a true soph in his first Big Dance. I don't see Nick beating him.

I don't think Cael would've made any difference, by the way, so my view has nothing to do with Rutgers.

Some transfers have done OK.

Dave Schultz won an NCAA title for Oklahoma after transferring from Oklahoma State.

Mark Schultz won 3 NCAA titles for Oklahoma after transferring from UCLA.

Steve Mocco won an NCAA Title after transferring from Iowa.

Bubba has already been mentioned. May be a few more in the mix?

Suriano has a great shot of winning it this coming season, regardless of which room he's in.

Last season he proved he could wrestle with anyone at the DI level.  The way things shook out, if he would have had a #3 seed the possibility was there which could have had him in the finals (and he did handle Cruz in their only match - then again, so did Lizak the 1st time they wrestled (Scuffle); Cruz was the winner in March).

NS has a chance to do something historic at - and for - Rutgers.  This is not a disparaging comment at him, but at Penn State he would not be a record-setter and would be another very good wrestler that the program has had.  He wouldn't be the 1st timer to do things at Penn State: 1st freshman/RSF National Champ (Joseph, Hall); 4 time B1G Champ (Taylor, Ruth); 3 time National Champ (Ruth); Soph NC (McCoy, Wright, Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf, Nickal); 4 time NCAA finalist (Taylor, with others being possible), etc.

He does have an opportunity to create a profound legacy at Rutgers: National Champ, multi-time finalist and multi-time NC; help get the program into the Top 10.

Suriano is a big loss for Penn State. But Penn State will survive and do well/move on.  Rutgers has a chance to grow exponentially based upon Suriano leaving Penn State and returning "home".

He will likely have some hammers in his way (Tomasello/Cruz, Lee), but he is an incredible talent and has the ability to beat anyone he wrestles.

Winston, Billy Smith ( Hwt )

But all in all they've really evolved as a program since those guys.

Rutgers continues to be a better destination every year.

Looks like Ashnult will soon be added to the list.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Rutgers and think Goodale has done a great job. I hope the TRANSFER can win a NC but not sure it will happen.

On another note folks like to say that PSU's success is due to recruiting and not coaching. That can also be said about Alabama's Nick Saban. Same for Duke basketball, UConn women's basketball, and many other successful programs.

I am not saying NS will not win a NC, but I do believe that this year is his best shot. With Lee and Fix coming up and depending on what weight all 3 are. 125 and 133 will be interesting the next few years. To say that NS will be a 3 timer is a long shot, no matter what room he is in.

NS no doubt a talent, will be interesting to see how he develops in the RU room.

On another note folks like to say that PSU's success is due to recruiting and not coaching. That can also be said about Alabama's Nick Saban. Same for Duke basketball, UConn women's basketball, and many other successful programs.

Every national champion team in college got there by recruiting first and coaching second. Recruiting well is not something to knock. It's THE principal coaching skill required to win titles in college.

I think he has a good chance since he is very talented and already has a win over an NCAA champ. I do believe he has sacrificed some percentage of his potential by moving from PSU to Rutgers, but it may be small enough that his talent overcomes it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree -- I really don't understand where this narrative comes from. The majority of top high school recruits don't win NCAAs no matter where they go...you can look at Iowa, PSU, OSU, tOSU and find loads of #1s - #5s that didn't pan out...it happens

Cael must find a way to punish all those who rebel against his will. He has to make it clear that there is no "light on the other side" when someone leaves/passes over the program. The Marsteller "betrayal" was rectified by the success of Nickal and Joseph, who both look like they are going to finish with better careers. When Lee passed on PSU, Cael had a good chance of punishing him with Suriano. Now that Suriano has left, who could he possibly bring in to rain on the parade of Suriano and Lee? This could potentially be a big turning point in the history of the PSU program if Lee and Suriano go on to have legendary careers without Cael. It could put in the mind of the future top PA wrestlers that PSU and Cael aren't absolutely necessary to achieve the highest level of wrestling that they are capable of. Of course, this was likely always the case, but when a program becomes super successful, it sort of casts a spell on high level recruits and their families and has them believing that there is truly only one place to go. Only one place to consider. All super successful programs are able to build this general feeling. The winning lasts as long as the feeling does. Very interested to see what Cael has up his sleeve.

Tomasello will rip his foot off from whatever ankle ligaments are remaining, beat him to death with it and deadlift his corpse.  (In the interest of full disclosure, this is what I said Tomasello would do to Clark's shoulder last year).