Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Best Legger Ever (Where is Zain in the discussion)

Also the Jordan family.  They are nasty with it. Bo and Jeff and Jim come to mind on that one.  

You saw more old timers get savage with leg riding, so I am sure there are plenty more from the 80s and previous. 

Edited by Fishhook

any film on krieger? Link appreciated

I can't find any right now, but there used to be some on YouTube from an Iowa-Iowa State dual meet on IPTV from somewhere around 1987-1989 when he was wrestling against Mike Carpenter, I believe. He almost broke him in two cranking with legs. I seem to remember the announcers referring to him as kind of "scary"on top.

''Twas Ron Pifer. Multi time AA for PSU and Westpoint Head Coach. Also coached at State College Area High

Pifer trained a lot of PA wrestlers with his leg ride back in the day. I think Brian Morrow in Carlisle is the best leg instructor in the state now for youth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not sure he's been mentioned before but I'd throw out Mich. State's Drew Hughes. Impressive to see a freshman just punish people into finally breaking and giving up back points. Quite a number of opponents when given a choice avoided choosing bottom. Give him a couple more years of development and it could get even uglier for his opponents.

Edited by MadMardigain

Not sure he's been mentioned before but I'd throw out Mich. State's Drew Hughes. Impressive to see a freshman just punish people into finally breaking and giving up back points. Quite a number of opponents when given a choice avoided choosing bottom. Give him a couple more years of development and it could get even uglier for his opponents.

Hughes is gnarly good on top, especially as a true frosh.  Be interesting to see if he can develop the rest of his game

I watch hughes every chance I get, but has he ever turned a top ten guy?

Give him time. He was only a freshman last season and the only top 10 guys he wrestled were IMar, Massa, Jordan and Walsh. All of which were actually top 5 guys who pretty much don't get turned period.

I watch hughes every chance I get, but has he ever turned a top ten guy?

He turned Isaiah White for four backs to beat him at the Michigan State Open. White won the D2 Natty title and could easily be top 10 this year, so Hughes has that going for him. Like MSU said, be patient on Hughes. 

EDIT: He may have also turned TeShan Campbell at NCAA's. Going from memory which could be faulty.

Edited by TBar1977

The problem with evaluating this is, the results tend to converge. Really good leg riders tend to look similar, and once you hit "nobody gets out from under this guy" it's very hard to distinguish.

Actually turning people would be an important way to differentiate. If you could cross-reference "people who mostly rode legs" with "nearfall points earned", it would be very interesting, but I doubt you'll find good records for nearfall points. You could scan the list of top pinners, and look for leg riders, at least.

I'd give style points to someone who was adept with both parallel legs and cross-body legs. It doesn't mean he was more effective overall, but versatility is admirable.

From my era, Terry and Troy Steiner deserve mention. At a time when I didn't worry much about getting off bottom in the NCAAs, I knew that if one of those guys got a boot in during practice, I'd be 20 or 30 minutes fighting my way off bottom... and I think they were 3 and 4 weights below me. If you'll excuse me for patting myself on the back, I think I was roughly as good as they were. Our technique was similar, and again, it's really hard to tell who is better after a certain point. (By the way, I felt matwork got easier once I graduated from high school. Pennsylvanians were brutal with this stuff.)

Also, Dave Schultz isn't remembered as a leg rider, but he was damned nasty with legs... as with just about everything else on top.

Yes. TNT Steiners were clams on top. Tough

with the VERY poor wrestling, that is bottom wrestling today, I don't think you can put any to today's wrestlers on the list. They might actually be excellent top/leg riders but so many guys today are so poor at bottom wrestling it's really hard to tell how good the top man truly is. imo of course.I guess the question I would have would be, if you want them on the list, is how much do they turn guys that do actually wrestle from the bottom. Or do those guys get out from bottom on those guys. 

Wade Schalles was unbelievable with the legs! I was a HS Senior when the D1 was in Seattle and Iowa State was really dominate. In those days fans were able to be on the "floor" level. During the semi-finals I stood near Wade's corner as he waited to compete with his "Cyclone" opponent. He was mocking him with his coaches ...oooh, I have a Cyclone ...what am I going to do coach? He then went out and dismantled his opponent in a similar fashion that Ben Askren always did ...by the way are we highlighting Askren as one of the best 'leggers"? I would.