Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Cadet Worlds Final Day

USA and Russia are battling for the team title. USA is looking for the sweep, and it yet again can come down to the final match.

USA has:

1 in repachage (Howard)

1 in bronze match (Teamer)

1 in gold not vs Russia (McHenry)

2 in gold matches vs Russia (Brooks and Kirkvliet)

Russia has...the exact same list

Russia is winning by 1 point

Insane. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Well our kids came on pretty strong on the 2nd day. Good for them, and hopefully their winning ways continue. I was really impressed watching their matches. Additionally, congrats to Will Lewan winning the Championship, and Gavin Hoffman getting the Bronze.

You'd think the Georgian kid wrestled for North Korea with the way he's acting up there on the podium.

I'd expect it a little more if he was super close to winning and felt that stopping the match midmovd to give McHenrys injury time for the knee teeek cost him the winning move. But the kids only offense was one takedown and one trapped arm gut to McHenrys multiple takedowns. He wasn't that close to getting the win with 20sec left to keep up that level of upsetness in the podium. Maybe something more was going on behind the secenes with coaches or family we don't know about.

I'd expect it a little more if he was super close to winning and felt that stopping the match midmovd to give McHenrys injury time for the knee teeek cost him the winning move. But the kids only offense was one takedown and one trapped arm gut to McHenrys multiple takedowns. He wasn't that close to getting the win with 20sec left to keep up that level of upsetness in the podium. Maybe something more was going on behind the secenes with coaches or family we don't know about.

I think that's a great point. Watching the worlds, it is impossible to know all of these kid's backgrounds and the path that has brought them to the World Championship. Would be fun to have bios (similar to Fargo) for finalists to get some of this info. Probably lots of great stories out there that we are missing.

Edited by superbowlhomeboy

McHenry wins 46kg. Some drama at the end there! Not sure either kid came out looking like the best sport.

TEAM USA really needs to give the kids a lesson or course on how to act after they win or lose.  

McHenry was impressive during the match, but the way he acted afterwords was not showing the best of the USA.

You think he would have learned after not being able wrestle in the Prep Nations for unsportsmanlike conduct. Seems like he has not.

TOO Bad.

Aaron Brooks wins at 76kg.! Again, so many different ways to score. He was smart to slow the pace down towards the end there. Russia's only chance was a counter. This is a testiment to the depth we are establishing in this country. Not only was this kid a runner-up at WTT's who went on to win Cadets, we also won Juniors and Seniors in the corresponding weight class. Great job USA wrestling!

Does the team race now come down to this next match then?

Nevermind just heard Bryant say Russia had it wrapped up reguardless of the outcome of the match. A Runner-Up finish at Cadet is still solid and combined with the rest of the age group results quite a run for the US teams this year.

Edited by MadMardigain

Well after the first day I was not so sure we were going to continue our summer of dominance, but wow, the kids on the second day, amazing. Whatever our Men's Freestyle program is doing, it seems to be paying off with huge dividends. I cannot remember when we had all three teams, Cadets, Juniors, and Seniors, all having phenomenal tournaments.

I wonder what all of these age level medals are going to do for recruitment. Will they be worth more or less?

A guy like Yianni was partially such a prized recruit because of his two cadet golds, a very rare feat for Americans. Now we have a whole bunch of golds at the Cadet level, and even a few junior ones.