Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Emphasis on pinning in international style

That would be awesome for our guys since most have strong folk backgrounds.

That worked for one cycle for Steiber in an off Olympic weight. He has been scouted. That won't work anymore. The women can still run that because of upper body strength issues, but even there you don't see it as much.

I think pinners are pinners, but it's easier to score points in Freestyle from guts and rap arms than it is to spend the very short amount of time on the mat working on a cradle or running a bar and more than likely not scoring any points at all down there.

I think pinners are pinners, but it's easier to score points in Freestyle from guts and rap arms than it is to spend the very short amount of time on the mat working on a cradle or running a bar and more than likely not scoring any points at all down there.

So basically Freestyle is not about working for the pin.

This is something that irks me when people complain about Folkstyle saying wrestlers are not working for the fall enough, yet in Freestyle they don't seem to work for the fall at all!

Is this another folkstyle fanboy complaint thread?  Freestyle is in a great place right now.  Anything beyond very minor tweaks is a bad idea. 

I dont disagree at all that Freestyle is in a good place. Its just simply discussing the emphasis on PINNING within International Styles. It seems like its a side note, but not at all the main goal.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

How many falls do we see in the NCAA finals? Not many, right? PINNING is absolutely the goal of folkstyle, and it's heavily rewarded, but we still don't see it a lot the pinnacle of folkstyle. Why do people expect to see falls at the absolute highest level of wrestling?

How many falls do we see in the NCAA finals? Not many, right? PINNING is absolutely the goal of folkstyle, and it's heavily rewarded, but we still don't see it a lot the pinnacle of folkstyle. Why do people expect to see falls at the absolute highest level of wrestling?

I agree, nor do I expect to see it at the highest level all that often however my point is we don't see pinning almost at all in Freestyle. Wrestlers don't even seem to go for the pin even though it has the same result in both styles.

As for how many did we see in last year's NCAA finals we saw 1. Jospeh over Martinez.

How many happened at the entire WTT?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy, on 15 Sept 2017 - 2:11 PM, said:

I agree, nor do I expect to see it at the highest level all that often however my point is we don't see pinning almost at all in Freestyle. Wrestlers don't even seem to go for the pin even though it has the same result in both styles.

As for how many did we see in last year's NCAA finals we saw 1. Jospeh over Martinez.

How many happened at the entire WTT?

Interesting comparison.

Ok, so we saw 1 pin in the finals at the 2017 NCAA's, Joseph pinned Imar at 165lbs. 

Then there was 1 pin in the 2017 World finals, Aliev pinned Rashidov at 61kg.

No pins in the 2017 WTT finals but Brewer pinned Dardanes for 3rd in the 61kg challenge bracket and Richard Perry pinned Trotman for 3rd in the 86kg challenge bracket.

No pins at the 2017 US Open finals. 

Edited by 2td3nf

Just did a quick scan of the 2017 NCAA brackets vs 2017 World brackets in regard to pins.

Again, my numbers might be off a little but I counted 22 pins in the NCAA tournament (championship bracket only) with 10 weight classes vs 10 pins at the World tournament (championship bracket only) with 8 weight classes.

To make that a fair comparison, you would have to look at University nationals or maybe University worlds.  If you introduce the variable of age, then you're ignoring it is generally easier to pin college kids than adult prime pro athletes, and I doubt anyone believes that is the case.

Whoa, way off. It was like 29 pins in the 2017 NCAA championship bracket.

I'm just looking at it as highest level of folkstyle in the world vs the highest level of freestyle in the world and comparing the pins for fun.

The question really is are freestyle wrestlers even TRYING to pin their opponents? I feel that they're not at all. Throws in folkstyle are typically going for a pin where as most freestyle throws are not. How is a gutwrench or a leg lace going to pin their opponent? We see them just as often as we see folkstylers going for cradles and halves... maybe more?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Not sure about leg laces, I think I've seen someone stacked up in one to a pin, but that would not exactly say much for the pinnee. 

Guts, yes. Not often but when the offensive guy is the most underneath you can rock back and put the shoulders down. I think the first I realized someone did that was Ken Chertow in HS (When Fargo was in Iowa;) . Bobby Malatesta was beating him in the final as I recall and Chertow hit him with this.

Not sure about leg laces, I think I've seen someone stacked up in one to a pin, but that would not exactly say much for the pinnee. 

Guts, yes. Not often but when the offensive guy is the most underneath you can rock back and put the shoulders down. I think the first I realized someone did that was Ken Chertow in HS (When Fargo was in Iowa;) . Bobby Malatesta was beating him in the final as I recall and Chertow hit him with this.

Similarly to how people can get pinned when being tilted in folk. Yes it can happen, but like you said not all that often.