• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

Lots of crazy Boise fans cheering for their football team to win. Doesn't look like any Boise fan at the game has any clue about what happened to their wrestling team.

#2 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

http://www.idahostat...e172976296.html

#3 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

http://www.idahostat...e172976296.html

Good. I hate Boise State.

#4 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

Here is a better one....#6.

http://kidotalkradio...bsu-home-games/

• JHRoseWrestling likes this

#5 SetonHallPirate

SetonHallPirate

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

Lots of crazy Boise fans cheering for their football team to win. Doesn't look like any Boise fan at the game has any clue about what happened to their wrestling team.

They've all gone into Ostrich Mode.

February 11: Ohio State at Michigan

Events to be added...

Building a better Pirate...construction in process.

Editor-in-Chief, WrestlingByPirate

Website/Blog: http://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com

Twitter: @wrestlingbypir8

#6 stp

stp

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

Here is a better one....#6.

http://kidotalkradio...bsu-home-games/

Quit reading shortly into the article.  

"Boise State has an unprecedented level of success rivaling traditional college football powers Ohio State and Alabama."  

No, they do not and are nowhere close to tOSU and 'bama.

Edited by stp, 14 September 2017 - 06:15 PM.

• Roadkill likes this

#7 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

"Boise State has an unprecedented level of success rivaling traditional college football powers Ohio State and Alabama."  

100% agree. Plus they were D2 as recently as the 90's I believe. No way are they on par with ANY of the traditional TOP 20 teams.

Edited by TobusRex, 14 September 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#8 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,349 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

I'd say out of the 17 sports that Boise State currently has, 6 men's and 11 women's, that 15 of them fit the description of BSU fans having "no clue about them."   

I myself get a little tired of the "because wrestling is a non-revenue sport" argument, considering that if BSU only wanted to sponsor revenue sports (and this would be true at all other schools as well) that their athletics program would dwindle down to simply men's basketball and football. 

I also think that wrestling would be doing itself a huge favor in realizing that we're in this fight for survival, attention, growth and existence with tennis, gymnastics, Swimming/Diving, Golf, Cross Country, and the many other sports that struggle to hold on at the collegiate level.  

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#9 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

What is the minimum number of sports that an NCAA institution must offer?  6 mens and 6 womens? 

#10 teach

teach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:32 PM

I could be wrong but hasn't it been shown on here more than once that even FB and BB are not revenue sports really? (most schools)

#11 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:57 PM

... kustra is a low IQ domesticated hoofed mammal of the horse family with long ears and a braying call ... 

i sincerely apologize to all the donkey's of the world for comparing them to kustra....

Edited by cornercoach, 18 September 2017 - 09:30 PM.

• gowrestle likes this

#12 AlexSteenTOM

AlexSteenTOM
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

What is the minimum number of sports that an NCAA institution must offer?  6 mens and 6 womens? 

14 sports are required in D1 either split seven and seven or, in a nod to football, it can be six for men and eight for women. At least two team sports per gender.

• Plasmodium likes this

#13 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

Um....this is a wrestling board...the point was about #6 as I stated...which is BSU dropping wrestling being one of the factors of why attendance is down. You probably didn't know (based on your response) that over 20k signed a petition and also stated that they would not go to BSU football games - not that all would go anyway. 

#14 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

I could be wrong but hasn't it been shown on here more than once that even FB and BB are not revenue sports really? (most schools)

There are football programs losing money out there. NMSU, for example. NMSU is a beacon of futility in college football. I've been thinking of starting an SB Nation site dedicated to the Aggies entitled "Lessons in Futility".

#15 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:27 AM

The recent news about Carson Kuhn had me wondering about Boise State athletics, so I checked back in and noticed that their football team - despite winning their conference and division, winning their bowl game against a prestige-brand P5 opponent and finishing in the top 25 in all three polls - had an average home attendance of just 31,126 for the season (down from the figure linked in @gowrestle's initial post) and the lowest average attendance since 2007 when they were in the WAC.  Season ticket sales for Boise State football was at its lowest total since 2004 and it looks like they are putting out discount offers for 2018 season tix already. Whew, that's tough.

#16 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:54 AM

The recent news about Carson Kuhn had me wondering about Boise State athletics, so I checked back in and noticed that their football team - despite winning their conference and division, winning their bowl game against a prestige-brand P5 opponent and finishing in the top 25 in all three polls - had an average home attendance of just 31,126 for the season (down from the figure linked in @gowrestle's initial post) and the lowest average attendance since 2007 when they were in the WAC.  Season ticket sales for Boise State football was at its lowest total since 2004 and it looks like they are putting out discount offers for 2018 season tix already. Whew, that's tough.

Maybe the entire state is out on a mission!

#17 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

Maybe the entire state is out on a mission!

b62702dc20fa573dfe833e8e8ad0518d3462ced2

• Tofurky, gimpeltf and cjc007 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users