Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Indiana Wrestling

Great story about the building of the wrestling and volleyball arena on campus. Whoever you are Jay Wilkinson, thanks for donating to a great cause that will have an impact for years to come. Hopefully Indiana will start to put together a solid team. Here's to more schools and donors making the same commitment (i.e. BSU, Oregon, etc.)

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/18645

Edited by Idaho

Man, their lineup looks awful this year.   Where is Luke Blanton?   Skatzka and Rypel are promising, but hopefully they don't go the route of Oliver/Danishek/Martin/Weaver. 

LOL, haha. The line up looks awful every year. But the new building should help Indianas new coach, in the coming years. Wait! it isn't true! Good God, Duane back for another year? Sorry Hoosier state wrestling fans. Spineless Fred Glass, athletics director. 

Great story about the building of the wrestling and volleyball arena on campus. Whoever you are Jay Wilkinson, thanks for donating to a great cause that will have an impact for years to come. Hopefully Indiana will start to put together a solid team. Here's to more schools and donors making the same commitment (i.e. BSU, Oregon, etc.)

Would be nice it if came with a state of the art wrestling practice facility. But from my understanding it's just the meet gym and practice will continue in their basic room at the lower level of Assembly Hall with weight training workouts happening at the football Complex. If plans have changed that would be great since a all in one training and meet facility would be a good selling point for recruits. But just a meet location upgrade by itself is likely only a minor selling point to potential wrestlers. Edited by MadMardigain

Bottom of the barrel big 10 just like almost half of the big 10 programs now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What are you saying, every body wants to be like Indiana now? Come join the fun down here? Indiana is so far behind everyone else in the BIG ten, they think they are ahead.Laughing stock of the conference. 

In 7+ years on this forum there is one thing I have learned.... It doesn't take long for posters to take something positive for a struggling team to criticize and make it negative. Maybe this is one of the reasons D1 college wrestling is declining. Congratulations posters on your positive outlook for Indiana. 

In 7+ years on this forum there is one thing I have learned.... It doesn't take long for posters to take something positive for a struggling team to criticize and make it negative. Maybe this is one of the reasons D1 college wrestling is declining. Congratulations posters on your positive outlook for Indiana.

Your observation is very accurate. Anything positive posted on these boards is viewed as an attack, insult, or slight against an opposing team/program/wrestler. Edited by BigTenFanboy

It would be nice to see Indiana build and become a power.

D1 isn't in decline from a negative post. It is in decline because only a handful of programs will ever be truly competitive.

Anyone who thinks differently is living in a dream world.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are you sure Indiana is declining? They seem consistently middle of the pack to me. Somewhere in the 25-50 range. Was there ever a time when they were consistently top ten?

Dual team wise it maybe since the early era. NCAA scoring wise I they have been in or around the top 10 in the early to mid 2000s due to having a champ and a couple good point scorers.

In other news they did pick up breakout freestyle star Brandon Wright as an Asst Coach. Having him and Escobedo working with the light weights should bring some better results and recruits out of that group.

Edited by MadMardigain

Are you sure Indiana is declining? They seem consistently middle of the pack to me. Somewhere in the 25-50 range. Was there ever a time when they were consistently top ten?

I posted this a while ago in a different thread, but it answers your question…

This will look like I am defending Coach Goldman, which I am not, but one can certainly make a case that he has been been better than most people perceive at IU.  IU hadn't had a national champion for 50 years until Coach Godlman showed up as an assistant and Dolph won.  Since then there have been three more national titles and two other finalists.  In the 25 years before Coach Goldman there were 9 all-Americans.  During Coach Goldman's 25 years there have been 31 (I think that is right).  There are a bunch of programs who would be pretty happy with those numbers.  Still, I have no doubt IU could and should be able to compete every year with middle level B1G teams.  Sadly, with out a major change that just isn't going to happen as the current leadership has never been to truly get over that hump.

I posted this a while ago in a different thread, but it answers your question…

This will look like I am defending Coach Goldman, which I am not, but one can certainly make a case that he has been been better than most people perceive at IU.  IU hadn't had a national champion for 50 years until Coach Godlman showed up as an assistant and Dolph won.  Since then there have been three more national titles and two other finalists.  In the 25 years before Coach Goldman there were 9 all-Americans.  During Coach Goldman's 25 years there have been 31 (I think that is right).  There are a bunch of programs who would be pretty happy with those numbers.  Still, I have no doubt IU could and should be able to compete every year with middle level B1G teams.  Sadly, with out a major change that just isn't going to happen as the current leadership has never been to truly get over that hump.

Brian Dolph competed under Jim Humphrey and Joe McFarland.  He won the title in 1990, and Goldman didn't arrive as an assistant until the following season. 

My bad.  Strike that sentence.  Point is Indiana and Coach Goldman have done far better than most people believe.   I will be the first to admit the low points are ugly, but IU has certainly been better at the National Tournament than the other Big Ten program in Indiana.  Certainly better than Michigan State.  

The top half of the Big Ten is set in stone for the foreseeable future, and I don't see any of the lower tier schools breaking down doors anytime soon.  Hopefully when we do get new leadership IU will transition to the level of eight or nine. 

Edited by matts1w

Your observation is very accurate. Anything positive posted on these boards is viewed as an attack, insult, or slight against an opposing team/program/wrestler.

The single most accurate post ever on this message board. Anytime somebody says Zane is a great wrestler some ******* comes on here and says why don't you like Micah Jordan. I have never seen a bigger bunch of whining, butt hurt, cowardly hiding behind their anonymity individuals. However, I'm sure it's true of every message board. The internet message board setup lends itself to internet tough guys who want to stir the pot and wouldn't say anything to anybody face-to-face if their life depended on it. I'll still come here for the 10-15 posters who are objective, have no agenda and are not idiots.

The single most accurate post ever on this message board. Anytime somebody says Zane is a great wrestler some ******* comes on here and says why don't you like Micah Jordan. I have never seen a bigger bunch of whining, butt hurt, cowardly hiding behind their anonymity individuals. However, I'm sure it's true of every message board. The internet message board setup lends itself to internet tough guys who want to stir the pot and wouldn't say anything to anybody face-to-face if their life depended on it. I'll still come here for the 10-15 posters who are objective, have no agenda and are not idiots.

Everyone is welcome to participate on ohiowrestling.net    We're boring the heck out of ourselves talking about the Buckeyes.  New topics and fresh perspectives would be welcome.  Only rule is you have to use your real name.  

Unfortunately, the technology is old so if you want to register, I suggest shooting me a message on this site. 

Great story about the building of the wrestling and volleyball arena on campus.

There have been discussions the past few years about Missouri doing the same. Tearing down Hearnes and building a smaller facility for Wrestling & Volleyball.

Do any Mizzou insiders know the status of this ?

I heard more of that talk before they built a new softball stadium than I have recently.  Getting Alabama AND Georgia into the BCS means more SEC $$, so we can hope!  Mizzou's volleyball success can't hurt either.  And finally, Mizzou just announced last week that they have become the 37th school in the country to reach the $1Billion endowment mark, almost doubling their endowment since 2011.  Pretty amazing considering all the bad press recently.

just a shot in the dark, Im thinking the wrestling program needs some new blood in the coaching ranks. I am far from an expert but I was at the PSU match and the coachs had no spark, the team didnt even look like the wanted to be there. I dont know any of the coaches and have not followed the program at all...just an observation.