Sign in to follow this  
DF

Has a wrestler ever "broke" in a big match and still won?

In one of my most proudest of matches I was leading 14-0 at the end of the first period due to some fierce tilting. Then something awe inspiring came over my opponent and he started taking me down and turning me at will. By the third period I was broke. I had checked out and just wanted to match to end. Late in the match he shot in on what would have been the winning takedown but I countered with a tight whizzer at the edge of the mat. As he tried to turn the corner I used his momentum to take us both out of bounds as the buzzer sounded. I laid there exhausted on the edge of the mat as the crowd rose to their feet to simultaneously give my opponent a standing ovation for his heroic comeback attempt while booing me.

Has a similar display ever played out in a major college match?

I don't remember who he was wrestling, but at Carver once Dwight Henson built up a decent lead against his opponent. By the third period he was so wore out that could barely stand as his opponent started making a huge come back on him. It was too little, too late as Henson still ended up winning the match. It was a rather dramatic moment as the Iowa faithful were booing loudly and Henson took a bow. The announcer came over the loudspeaker to announce is was the first time Henson had ever beat a Hawkeye and the crowd went bananas.

^^^Back in the late 1950's the NAIA had two of the best 177 pounders in the country - Al Blanshan of Mankato State and ROY CONRAD of Northern Illinois. We lived in central PA and got to see Northern Illinois when they'd come east. Conrad was a total stud - stocky, very strong, changed levels well and a grinder on top. He had taken some years off before enrolling at Northern Illinois (think at one point he drove a cab in Chicago) and was older than normal college age. Anyway, come 1960 the NCAA Tournament was held at the Univ of Maryland's Cole Field House, which back then was a fantastic facility. You walk in Cole's main doors at parking-lot level, then inside it's like a huge oval bowl of 10,000 seats. There is a walkway around the top of the field house.

Roy Conrad was having an excellent NCAA tournament and make the finals, to wrestle a tall, tough grappler from the Oklahoma Sooners named Campbell. Long before the 177-pound final started, we noticed Conrad running laps around the top walkway. I don't know if his long warm-up might have had some effect on his third-period depletion or not. (Periods then were 3-3-3.)

Anyway, the finals started and Conrad was whomping Campbell into the third period. Seemed like he had about a 6-point lead. Then, in the third period, for whatever the reason, Conrad ran out of gas, and Campbell kept taking him down and letting him up. Near the end of the third period, as I recall, Conrad had a 13-11 lead, and Campbell took him down with about 20 seconds (?) remaining to tie the score.

We were rooting for Conrad, and with Campbell's final TD to tie the score up, we figured the bout was heading to OT and Campbell would win in OT. Then Campbell cut Conrad to give Conrad the lead, figuring he could take him down again before the end of regulation time. Conrad held him off and won the NCAA's about 14-13. It was one of the most incredible finishes I ever saw.

Back around 2001 or 2002 Trenge beat Fulsaas in Carver with a score something like 21-15. The score looks like an asskicking but it was quite a match. I think later that year or the next Fulsaas beat Hahn with a late td ??? in a pivotal match.

Terry Brands vs Jesus Wilson. Most of you have seen it so I don't have to describe it to you. Brands wasn't in a huge hole but Wilson did have a decent lead (at one point) for that level of competition. The last half of the match is entirely Brands literally running at him with Jesus running away, finger poking, singlet pulling, and "5 on 2ing" him from neutral.

Terry Brands vs Jesus Wilson. Most of you have seen it so I don't have to describe it to you. Brands wasn't in a huge hole but Wilson did have a decent lead (at one point) for that level of competition. The last half of the match is entirely Brands literally running at him with Jesus running away, finger poking, singlet pulling, and "5 on 2ing" him from neutral.

That was one of the most entertaining matches that has ever happened in amateur wrestling, period. It had all of the classic elements of a great story. You had the anatognistic Jesus Wilson, the bad guy, the heel of the match Vs the determined, protagonistic Tom Brands. It was fun, it was exciting.

That was one of the most entertaining matches that has ever happened in amateur wrestling, period. It had all of the classic elements of a great story. You had the anatognistic Jesus Wilson, the bad guy, the heel of the match Vs the determined, protagonistic Tom Brands. It was fun, it was exciting.

Your protagonist was Terry, shakespeare.

1992, I had just recently turned 7 years old. It was my first wrestling camp that I ever attended. Tom and Terry Brands were running it. I asked Tom, "Are you two twins?" to which his reply was, "No!! I'm WAY better looking that he is". You'd think since they look and act nothing alike that I wouldn't make such a foolish error as to get them confused.

Thank you for your perfection.

1992, I had just recently turned 7 years old. It was my first wrestling camp that I ever attended. Tom and Terry Brands were running it. I asked Tom, "Are you two twins?" to which his reply was, "No!! I'm WAY better looking that he is". You'd think since they look and act nothing alike that I wouldn't make such a foolish error as to get them confused.

Thank you for your perfection.

Think upon what hath chanced.

I don't know if the guy was broke or not, but he made quite a cimeback.

Chris Campbell was a freshman 177-pounder for Iowa in the 1974 NCAA tournament. He was wrestling a kid who been in JUCO the year before, we tried to recruit him to OU, but were unsuccessful. Campbell is tearing him up and was up 9-0 in the 1st period. Campbell took down in the 2nd period, the kid got legs in and turned Campbell a couple if times. 3rd period the kid choses top and turns Campbell again. The score is 9-8 Campbell's favor with 10 seconds to go. Campbell raises his head up to see how much time is on the clock. Kid turks him again for 2 points to win the match. Next round the kid loses so Campbell is out of the tiurnament. Iowa doesn't win the title because of Campbell's loss.

I don't know if the guy was broke or not, but he made quite a cimeback.

Chris Campbell was a freshman 177-pounder for Iowa in the 1974 NCAA tournament. He was wrestling a kid who been in JUCO the year before, we tried to recruit him to OU, but were unsuccessful. Campbell is tearing him up and was up 9-0 in the 1st period. Campbell took down in the 2nd period, the kid got legs in and turned Campbell a couple if times. 3rd period the kid choses top and turns Campbell again. The score is 9-8 Campbell's favor with 10 seconds to go. Campbell raises his head up to see how much time is on the clock. Kid turks him again for 2 points to win the match. Next round the kid loses so Campbell is out of the tiurnament. Iowa doesn't win the title because of Campbell's loss.

See: http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA1974.pdf

I was off a point on each. I was on deck with Mark Mullins OU freshman, when that match was going on. Had Campbell wrestled to his ranking he might have scored enough points to get Iowa the championship.

Something i didn't realize is Gary Ernst beat Tom Hazel 2-1 in OT of the semis. Had Hazel won that match OSU would have won the title. Hazel got pinned in the 5th place match by Larry Beileberg who was a freshman from Oregon St. Hazel had beaten Larry soundly earlier in the tournament. I have fond memories of the NCAA championships in 1974 as i carried home the chsmpionship trophy. I'd stayed one more semester after graduating so i could draw VA benefits and coach. I think OSU lost 13 matches in a row, and had they won any of them they would have won the title. I'll have to go thru the brackets simeday to make sure thatbis right.

This is by memory, so the points may be 1 or 2 off.

1976 Olympics in Montreal. 220 pound class. Ivan Yarygin was beating Russ Hellickson about 13-2 more than halfway through a 9 minute match. Hellickson kept on coming and Yarygin was gassed. Final Score was 15-13 Yarygin. If the match had gone one more minute, there is no question in my mind that Russ would have been the Olympic Champion.

Yarygin had pinned all 7 of his guys in the 72 Olympics, in the first round to win the gold there. He didn't need much in the way of conditioning in Munich.

Happened to me twice.

Freshman year of high school was winning 7-4 going into the third all my points were from 2 reversals and a 3 point nf. Opponents points from 2 takedowns. Third period i choose down and he cuts me.. and scores a td. 8-6 and again 9-8 and again 10-10.. cuts me to make is 11-10 and I survive the last 15 seconds of the match to "win" the match.

My senior year of high school I was battling strep throat but refused to sit out of the dual. Started the match hit the kid in a spade which my opponent eventually scrambled out of and escaped. Hit a dump/fireman's to his back and eventually he escaped again to make the score 10-2 to end the first period. At that point I was done. Could barely breath. Had choice in the 2nd.. and took down. Pretty much just moved around to creat some separation and he locked up a cradle on me. To this day and after watching it on video later I still have no idea how I wasnt pinned, but eventually broke out and ended the period on bottom now down 10-5. 3rd period he chose bottom and immediately hits a reversal. I stall my butt off on bottom, but do just enough to not get hit.. then in the closing seconds he hits a gator roll and gets 2nf points at the buzzer. I "win" 10-9.

Wrestled him again in the regional consi finals and won 1-0. Escaped in the 2nd and rode him in the third.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

My favourite was Cody Yohn vs Mike Evans.  On 1-29-2012 Iowa edged MN 19-17 behind Evans pin.  Evans bragged afterwards about how he "broke" Yohn.

Three weeks later they meet in the semi's of the National Duals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNMK6tMF3s

Yohn wins in SV.  Goes on to beat Okie St's Dallas Bailey to propel Minny to Dual title.  Yohn then named B1G Wrestler of the Week.

Not sure. Being “broke” in a match comes down to one simple thing:

1.  You don’t want to be on the mat wrestling.  

Let me explain:

a.  You are leading, but with all that time on the clock, you don’t “want” to finish the match.  You WISH the match could be scored right then.

b.  Your probably weren’t expecting the other guy “missing the memo” that he wasn’t supposed to win and should just sacrifice the tech.  

c.  Since he was set on continuing, and you were surprised he wasn’t “laying down,” you lost momentum because you thought it would be an easier road to a tech.  

d.  Knowing he was going to do whatever it takes to win made you nervous, rattled, confused, frustrated.  

Not exactly broken, but you were wishing the buzzer would sound so you can get your win.  Thus, you don’t want to be on the mat!