Sign in to follow this  
DF

Has a wrestler ever "broke" in a big match and still won?

Finals match I was leading 4-0 going into the 3rd period opponent had chosen bottom and I could ride with the best of the best. I was sucking a lot of weight and blacked out when I came to the score board showed 5-4 with 10 seconds left. To this day I still dont remember what happened. But got my revenge a week later in the semifinals of a major tournament.. tech fall 2nd period. Point is it doesn't pay to coast on a lead.

22 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

Not sure. Being “broke” in a match comes down to one simple thing:

1.  You don’t want to be on the mat wrestling.  

Let me explain:

a.  You are leading, but with all that time on the clock, you don’t “want” to finish the match.  You WISH the match could be scored right then.

b.  Your probably weren’t expecting the other guy “missing the memo” that he wasn’t supposed to win and should just sacrifice the tech.  

c.  Since he was set on continuing, and you were surprised he wasn’t “laying down,” you lost momentum because you thought it would be an easier road to a tech.  

d.  Knowing he was going to do whatever it takes to win made you nervous, rattled, confused, frustrated.  

Not exactly broken, but you were wishing the buzzer would sound so you can get your win.  Thus, you don’t want to be on the mat!

If thats the case, im sure everyone is "broke" in every match they are leading in.

10 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

If thats the case, im sure everyone is "broke" in every match they are leading in.

Well, I did list some more analysis with anecdotal criteria.   

Either you want to score points or maintain dominant positioning.  Otherwise, you don’t want to be on the mat.  Someone going for a pin or tech, is not broken.  

Edited by Cptafw164

21 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

Well, I did list some more analysis with anecdotal criteria.   

Either you want to score points or maintain dominant positioning.  Otherwise, you don’t want to be on the mat.  Someone going for a pin or tech, is not broken.  

It was a joke. Who wouldnt want the match to suddenly end when your leading in the NCAA finals or Olympic Gold Medal Match.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

12 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

It was a joke. Who wouldnt want the match to suddenly end when your leading in the NCAA finals or Olympic Gold Medal Match.

Ah, I see the sarcasm now.  I always have a problem reading sarcasm.  

Andrew Alton always had conditioning issues and famously was broke by Montell Marion after generating a huge early lead. I’d imagine he probably stumbled his way to a few wins after gassing.