headshuck

Biggest weight gains

How many guys have gone up 3 weight classes or more while in college?  I think its normal that people have insane growth spurts in highschool, but its a lot more unusual to see a guy like dake go from 141 to 165

There are several Michigan guys who went up 2 weight classes who have already been mentioned.  Fat Kocher went from 157 to HVY which is pretty impressive, but thats going into post-grad territory.

Who other than Dake has gone 3+ while in college?

How many guys have gone up 3 weight classes or more while in college?  I think its normal that people have insane growth spurts in highschool, but its a lot more unusual to see a guy like dake go from 141 to 165

There are several Michigan guys who went up 2 weight classes who have already been mentioned.  Fat Kocher went from 157 to HVY which is pretty impressive, but thats going into post-grad territory.

semi related: has anyone besides Dake made AA at 4 weights?

Cornell's Justin Kerber wrestled 174, 184, and 197 - all in his freshman season; and then went back down to 165 for his junior and senior seasons.

Daryl Weber was 5th at 142 as a soph, 6th at 158 as a junior, and champ at 167 as a senior.  

Cornell's Justin Kerber wrestled 174, 184, and 197 - all in his freshman season; and then went back down to 165 for his junior and senior seasons.

That's not actually weight gain though, they were just moving him around to plug holes.  Still an interesting stat

How many guys have gone up 3 weight classes or more while in college? I think its normal that people have insane growth spurts in highschool, but its a lot more unusual to see a guy like dake go from 141 to 165

There are several Michigan guys who went up 2 weight classes who have already been mentioned. Fat Kocher went from 157 to HVY which is pretty impressive, but thats going into post-grad territory.

I mentioned Anthony Biondo of Michigan earlier in the thread. He started his redshirt year at 165 and finished his redshirt year at 174. He wrestled 184 and 197 the rest of his career and was round of 12 as a junior at 197.

I mentioned Anthony Biondo of Michigan earlier in the thread. He started his redshirt year at 165 and finished his redshirt year at 174. He wrestled 184 and 197 the rest of his career and was round of 12 as a junior at 197.

I missed that biondo started at 165, I knew he was 174 - 197

Many high schoolers are told they will be wrestling at a lower weight in college than they did in high school (because college workouts are "so hard").  Some, however, are just not meant to drop weight and it takes their coaches a while to figure that out.  

Many high schoolers are told they will be wrestling at a lower weight in college than they did in high school (because college workouts are "so hard").  Some, however, are just not meant to drop weight and it takes their coaches a while to figure that out.  

I still think the weight pull to 157 ruined Marstellar.

With the mention of Justin Kerber of Cornell wrestling in various weight classes, I'll also mention Hofstra's Ralph Everett and Arizona State's Patrick Williams.  Both wrestled various weight classes for their teams respectively.  Everett wrestled at 184 lbs as a freshman or a sophomore, when he lost by tech to Cael Sanderson.  He also wrestled at 165 lbs and 174 lbs during his career.  I want to say Williams wrestled as big as 184 and finished his career at 149. 

Although Biondo finally stabilized his last 2 seasons in College, his weight range(constant movement) from a Freshman in High School through DI is pretty hard to top. 

103,112,130,145,157/165/174,197(would have been at 184 but Tyrel Todd was there), 184(Todd moved up to 184),197,197