Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Strength/power feats of our elite athletes

Best looking set of pullups I've seen on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFeqGH3fVbs

World record is 51 in one minute - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KsEFcvUZqw

Daniel Dennis can't do 100 unless his form is total garbage and/or he rests for minutes at a time.  Fact is, it's rare to see anyone do more than 20 real pullups in a row.  30 places you in the top 99.9% of fit people.     

Last time my body weight was 150, a little over three years ago I did 24 pull ups at 54 years old. Overhand not underhand. Down to extension, slight pause, and up. I could have done a few more by my shoulders are pretty messed up. If you hang around gyms, with legit strength folks (power lifters, bodybuilders, various fitness strength based athletes) you see a bunch of folks, and a few girls, that can get to these numbers.    

Frank Molinaro deadlifting 450 x 3.

And did it with so-so technique (my back hurts just watching it). First one is the one that counted. The second two were kind of bouncing it up. But very strong. 

Edited by sgallan

lower weight class and big bench...made me think of Don Rohn. 1973 champ at 134. "Rohn....can bench-press more than 300 pounds"

https://www.si.com/vault/1973/03/19/576518/when-the-eagles-crowed

Rohn was notorious for and quite successful in incorporating strength training with his athletes in the Lehigh Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'm saying is that it's not unreasonable to conclude that, absent video to the contrary, Daniel Dennis is unable to double the existing world record.

How many pull-ups you can do is wayyy different than how many you can do in a minute. I believe the record for most consecutive pull-ups is 232... so would it be reasonable for an Olympic wrestler (where it's critical for lb for lb strength) to get half of that?

How many pull-ups you can do is wayyy different than how many you can do in a minute. I believe the record for most consecutive pull-ups is 232... so would it be reasonable for an Olympic wrestler (where it's critical for lb for lb strength) to get half of that?

Depends if you consider stopping, hanging, and resting one arm at a time for several min. in between pull up sets as consecutive. The record holder didn't drop but he took a lot of rest periods during his run to just dangle by one arm at a time so he could rest. Doing 20-25 pull ups during most of his early sets. Definitely some impressive grip strength over the course of the 30+ min. it took him to get that record. Edited by MadMardigain

I'm actually not very impressed by that at all. And Also a great one that every doofus thinks they can do.

Good one is a legit one armed pull up. Heard Joe Williams, Adam Frey could do one. 

I'm the mid 90s I went through the njsp selection process.

They gave a written test, then invited a few hundred guys to sea girt for physical testing.

I did mid 30s pull ups (very strict form), and finished in the top five.

I was in good shape, but not the best of my life.

Plenty of those guys were knocking out 20-25.

I'm actually not very impressed by that at all. And Also a great one that every doofus thinks they can do.

Good one is a legit one armed pull up. Heard Joe Williams, Adam Frey could do one.

Wait, a 455-lb deadlift from a guy who wrestles 133 isn't impressive? He probably walks around 145-150, but to pull up those numbers when he isn't even a powerlifter is incredible imo

Wait, a 455-lb deadlift from a guy who wrestles 133 isn't impressive? He probably walks around 145-150, but to pull up those numbers when he isn't even a powerlifter is incredible imo

His build is perfect for powerlifting. Looks like you dropped a safe from the 13th floor onto a normal person.

A couple random thoughts,

>Those are ugly freaking deads, but that is a helluva lot of weight. 

>No one can do 100 strait strict pullups, that's crazy, but one of my coaches, Byron Tucker (OK NCAA champ) always said that if he could do 100 in five sets then he was strong enough to win a championship.

>One of the most impressive feats of strength I've ever seen was Hunter Meys pulling a Jeep twenty feet out of a mud-pit with a wench which I could literally not move an inch with my entire body.

>I bet Mark Schultz could do some epic feats of strength and body control

>Not strength, but Coach Demeo used to tell a story about Karelin where someone was giving him a hard time about practicing ballet and then he put one foot up in a hotel lobby above his head and touched a chandelier without moving it.

My late uncle was the wrestling and football coach in a SMALL VILLagE in Kansas during the 70s. He told me about this kid who he tried to recruit to come out for his teams, but the kid said his father wouldn't let him and he had to go home immediately after school to work on the family farm. The kid was a bit of a geek wearing black framed glasses, but supposedly was able to run faster than a locomotive. Rumor had it he was also able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Kid moved out to a big METROPOLItan Scity and became a successful new paper reporter.

My late uncle was the wrestling and football coach in a SMALL VILLagE in Kansas during the 70s. He told me about this kid who he tried to recruit to come out for his teams, but the kid said his father wouldn't let him and he had to go home immediately after school to work on the family farm. The kid was a bit of a geek wearing black framed glasses, but supposedly was able to run faster than a locomotive. Rumor had it he was also able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Kid moved out to a big METROPOLItan Scity and became a successful new paper reporter.

The goal of all coaches is to allow their athletes and students to succeed. It looks like the kid was successful, and therefore, the coach was successful. We're all winners except L.L. 

Burroughs on SI's fittest list got me thinking about the strength and power levels of our top guys. Spencer Lee has said Dan Dennis could do over 100 pull-ups, which is very hard to believe. I wonder what his training looks like?? I'd love to hear more details of other feats of strength and their training regimens that our board members have heard.

I was nowhere near elite, but during the season (HS & College) I could do 32 or so good pull-ups.  I've never been able to do even one with one arm, but my brother could.  He could do over 50 2-arm pull-ups... but he cheats & does sort-of a dolphin-like-kick to throw himself up.  My guess is that anyone doing 100 would have to do them that way.

Edited by wnywrestling

Pretty sure Gruenwald could do 100 plus pull ups. He could also do one arm hanging pull ups.... not bracing the arm but literally hanging. Some people just have a talent for such things.   

I, and a bunch of the other wrestlers at the OTC at the time, watched Jim do 17 consecutive 1-armed pull-ups.  It was with his right arm, if I recall correctly.  He said it was stronger, and he couldn't do as many with the other.

Edited by Ray_Brinzer

I, and a bunch of the other wrestlers at the OTC at the time, watched Jim do 17 consecutive 1-armed pull-ups.  It was with his right arm, if I recall correctly.  He said it was stronger, and he couldn't do as many with the other.

That is one of the most impressive strength feats I've ever heard of. If I didn't know who you were, I'd call BS. Wow!!!

Come to think of it, there was an assistant track coach at Okie State who could do a one-armed pull-up from a door frame, with his fingertips.  He was a big rock-climber... I think he was really just coaching track to pay the bills.  Tall guy, skinny as a rail.  He'd make a stereotypical "karate chop" hand, with his knuckles (metacarpophalangeal joints) straight, and his fingers fully bent, so that the pads of his fingertips were flush against his fingers.  Then he'd put his fingertips atop the door frame, so that the tips were pointed directly down.  Then, full hang, and hoist himself up so his chin cleared.

Not an wrestler, of course, so that's a bit off-topic, but I found it very interesting.

Just got a text back from Mark Yanigihara... he wasn't in the room when Jim did the 17 one-armed pull-ups, but he did watch Jim do 92 two-armed.  If any of you talk to Mike Ellsworth, Dave Surofchek, Brian Keck, Mike Uker, Dan Niebur, or Ethan Bosch, ask them about it.  I don't quite recall who was in the room at the time, and I'm out of touch with those guys.

I am aging now, I am only faster than a slow bullet. Sometimes I win, sometimes the locomotive wins, and I need a running start to get over tall buildings.