Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

Frank Molinaro deadlifting 450 x 3.

#22 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

I've always been impressed with guys who could run up a wall and do a back-flip off it.

Zach Rey made a video of how to do it

#23 HurricaneWrestling

HurricaneWrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:06 AM

Farmer Burns' neck was so strong that he could do a six-foot hangman's drop.  Then, while still in the air, he would whistle "Yankee Doodle Dandy."

2ufbrpt.jpg

More info at http://farmerburnslifework.com/

#24 maligned

maligned

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:44 AM

Daniel Dennis can't do 100 unless his form is total garbage and/or he rests for minutes at a time.  

I'm sure they're talking about kipping pull-ups, which are less difficult but which require incredible body control to do properly over high reps. In the competitive fitness world, "strict" pull-ups, kipping pull-ups, and kipping chest-to-bar pull-ups are all performed as separate movements. For reference's sake, some of the lighter world-class crossfit athletes (say, 170 or 180-pound guys), for example, get into the 70s and 80s for unbroken, kipping pull-ups. If Dennis can do 100 of these, it is very impressive indeed.

#25 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

I saw a guy in high school do what he claimed were 40 pull ups, then I saw another guy do 40 correct pull ups. Two totally different things. The guy who did the correct pull ups actually did 48 and I was totally amazed at the feat. 

Pretty sure Gruenwald could do 100 plus pull ups. He could also do one arm hanging pull ups.... not bracing the arm but literally hanging. Some people just have a talent for such things.   

• KTG119 likes this

#26 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

Best looking set of pullups I've seen on YouTube - https://www.youtube....h?v=FFeqGH3fVbs

World record is 51 in one minute - https://www.youtube....h?v=8KsEFcvUZqw

Daniel Dennis can't do 100 unless his form is total garbage and/or he rests for minutes at a time.  Fact is, it's rare to see anyone do more than 20 real pullups in a row.  30 places you in the top 99.9% of fit people.     

Last time my body weight was 150, a little over three years ago I did 24 pull ups at 54 years old. Overhand not underhand. Down to extension, slight pause, and up. I could have done a few more by my shoulders are pretty messed up. If you hang around gyms, with legit strength folks (power lifters, bodybuilders, various fitness strength based athletes) you see a bunch of folks, and a few girls, that can get to these numbers.    

#27 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Frank Molinaro deadlifting 450 x 3.

And did it with so-so technique (my back hurts just watching it). First one is the one that counted. The second two were kind of bouncing it up. But very strong. 

Edited by sgallan, 23 September 2017 - 09:57 AM.

• KTG119 likes this

#28 Buckxell

Buckxell

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

lower weight class and big bench...made me think of Don Rohn. 1973 champ at 134. "Rohn....can bench-press more than 300 pounds"

https://www.si.com/v...e-eagles-crowed

Rohn was notorious for and quite successful in incorporating strength training with his athletes in the Lehigh Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 Buckxell

Buckxell

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

What I'm saying is that it's not unreasonable to conclude that, absent video to the contrary, Daniel Dennis is unable to double the existing world record.

How many pull-ups you can do is wayyy different than how many you can do in a minute. I believe the record for most consecutive pull-ups is 232... so would it be reasonable for an Olympic wrestler (where it's critical for lb for lb strength) to get half of that?

#30 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,408 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

How many pull-ups you can do is wayyy different than how many you can do in a minute. I believe the record for most consecutive pull-ups is 232... so would it be reasonable for an Olympic wrestler (where it's critical for lb for lb strength) to get half of that?

Depends if you consider stopping, hanging, and resting one arm at a time for several min. in between pull up sets as consecutive. The record holder didn't drop but he took a lot of rest periods during his run to just dangle by one arm at a time so he could rest. Doing 20-25 pull ups during most of his early sets. Definitely some impressive grip strength over the course of the 30+ min. it took him to get that record.

Edited by MadMardigain, 23 September 2017 - 02:53 PM.

#31 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Nathan Tomasello: deadlift 455, bench 285. 

http://www.dispatch....s-wrestling-mat

I'm actually not very impressed by that at all. And Also a great one that every doofus thinks they can do.

Good one is a legit one armed pull up. Heard Joe Williams, Adam Frey could do one. 

#32 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:10 AM

I'm the mid 90s I went through the njsp selection process.
They gave a written test, then invited a few hundred guys to sea girt for physical testing.
I did mid 30s pull ups (very strict form), and finished in the top five.
I was in good shape, but not the best of my life.
Plenty of those guys were knocking out 20-25.

#33 AllISeeIsBronze

AllISeeIsBronze
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:26 AM

I'm actually not very impressed by that at all. And Also a great one that every doofus thinks they can do.

Good one is a legit one armed pull up. Heard Joe Williams, Adam Frey could do one.

Wait, a 455-lb deadlift from a guy who wrestles 133 isn't impressive? He probably walks around 145-150, but to pull up those numbers when he isn't even a powerlifter is incredible imo
  • PSUMike likes this

#34 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:28 AM

Wait, a 455-lb deadlift from a guy who wrestles 133 isn't impressive? He probably walks around 145-150, but to pull up those numbers when he isn't even a powerlifter is incredible imo

His build is perfect for powerlifting. Looks like you dropped a safe from the 13th floor onto a normal person.

#35 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:58 AM

A couple random thoughts,

>Those are ugly freaking deads, but that is a helluva lot of weight. 

>No one can do 100 strait strict pullups, that's crazy, but one of my coaches, Byron Tucker (OK NCAA champ) always said that if he could do 100 in five sets then he was strong enough to win a championship.

>One of the most impressive feats of strength I've ever seen was Hunter Meys pulling a Jeep twenty feet out of a mud-pit with a wench which I could literally not move an inch with my entire body.

>I bet Mark Schultz could do some epic feats of strength and body control

>Not strength, but Coach Demeo used to tell a story about Karelin where someone was giving him a hard time about practicing ballet and then he put one foot up in a hotel lobby above his head and touched a chandelier without moving it.

#36 jcjcjc

jcjcjc
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:49 AM

My dad is stronger than your dad.

• krippler and BigTenFanboy like this

#37 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:24 AM

Try getting into it with a top calibre woman free climber. You might be surprised at how strong they are.

#38 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

Try getting into it with a top calibre woman free climber. You might be surprised at how strong they are.

Why mention gender? Are they stronger than male free climbers?

#39 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

I could explain my rationale but its based on personal experience and would make me look intensely stupid. 

#40 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

My late uncle was the wrestling and football coach in a SMALL VILLagE in Kansas during the 70s. He told me about this kid who he tried to recruit to come out for his teams, but the kid said his father wouldn't let him and he had to go home immediately after school to work on the family farm. The kid was a bit of a geek wearing black framed glasses, but supposedly was able to run faster than a locomotive. Rumor had it he was also able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Kid moved out to a big METROPOLItan Scity and became a successful new paper reporter.
  • LoStNuMbEr and AllISeeIsBronze like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users