Strength/power feats of our elite athletes

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 jcjcjc

jcjcjc
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

My late uncle was the wrestling and football coach in a SMALL VILLagE in Kansas during the 70s. He told me about this kid who he tried to recruit to come out for his teams, but the kid said his father wouldn't let him and he had to go home immediately after school to work on the family farm. The kid was a bit of a geek wearing black framed glasses, but supposedly was able to run faster than a locomotive. Rumor had it he was also able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Kid moved out to a big METROPOLItan Scity and became a successful new paper reporter.

The goal of all coaches is to allow their athletes and students to succeed. It looks like the kid was successful, and therefore, the coach was successful. We're all winners except L.L. 

#42 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

The goal of all coaches is to allow their athletes and students to succeed. It looks like the kid was successful, and therefore, the coach was successful. We're all winners except L.L.

Yea my uncle said he grew you to be a SUPER nice MAN..

#43 jcjcjc

jcjcjc
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

My your and his uncle RIP. 

#44 wnywrestling

wnywrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:00 AM

Burroughs on SI's fittest list got me thinking about the strength and power levels of our top guys. Spencer Lee has said Dan Dennis could do over 100 pull-ups, which is very hard to believe. I wonder what his training looks like?? I'd love to hear more details of other feats of strength and their training regimens that our board members have heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was nowhere near elite, but during the season (HS & College) I could do 32 or so good pull-ups.  I've never been able to do even one with one arm, but my brother could.  He could do over 50 2-arm pull-ups... but he cheats & does sort-of a dolphin-like-kick to throw himself up.  My guess is that anyone doing 100 would have to do them that way.

Edited by wnywrestling, 25 September 2017 - 02:00 AM.

MARCH MAT-NESS

Week 1 - ~76 teams - NCAA Tournament (The same 3-day tourney everyone loves; team score determines wildcards)
Week 2 - 16 teams - Dual meets, separate locations, separate times (Conference dual champs + wildcards)
Week 3 -  8 teams - Dual meets, separate locations, separate times
Week 4 -  4 teams - Winning team is NCAA champion

Anything else is bush league.

#45 Ray_Brinzer

Ray_Brinzer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

Pretty sure Gruenwald could do 100 plus pull ups. He could also do one arm hanging pull ups.... not bracing the arm but literally hanging. Some people just have a talent for such things.   

I, and a bunch of the other wrestlers at the OTC at the time, watched Jim do 17 consecutive 1-armed pull-ups.  It was with his right arm, if I recall correctly.  He said it was stronger, and he couldn't do as many with the other.

Edited by Ray_Brinzer, 25 September 2017 - 02:50 AM.

• LoStNuMbEr, Buckxell, KTG119 and 1 other like this

#46 Ray_Brinzer

Ray_Brinzer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:01 AM

For that matter, I watched Dave and Jeff Alexander, a pair of twins on my junior high team, each break 100 pull-ups with good form.  They were serious gymnasts, and I think they each weighed around 70 at the time.

#47 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:40 AM

I, and a bunch of the other wrestlers at the OTC at the time, watched Jim do 17 consecutive 1-armed pull-ups.  It was with his right arm, if I recall correctly.  He said it was stronger, and he couldn't do as many with the other.

That is one of the most impressive strength feats I've ever heard of. If I didn't know who you were, I'd call BS. Wow!!!

#48 Ray_Brinzer

Ray_Brinzer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:45 AM

That is one of the most impressive strength feats I've ever heard of. If I didn't know who you were, I'd call BS. Wow!!!

And I wouldn't blame you.  It was bizarre to watch.

#49 Ray_Brinzer

Ray_Brinzer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:22 AM

Come to think of it, there was an assistant track coach at Okie State who could do a one-armed pull-up from a door frame, with his fingertips.  He was a big rock-climber... I think he was really just coaching track to pay the bills.  Tall guy, skinny as a rail.  He'd make a stereotypical "karate chop" hand, with his knuckles (metacarpophalangeal joints) straight, and his fingers fully bent, so that the pads of his fingertips were flush against his fingers.  Then he'd put his fingertips atop the door frame, so that the tips were pointed directly down.  Then, full hang, and hoist himself up so his chin cleared.

Not an wrestler, of course, so that's a bit off-topic, but I found it very interesting.

Just got a text back from Mark Yanigihara... he wasn't in the room when Jim did the 17 one-armed pull-ups, but he did watch Jim do 92 two-armed.  If any of you talk to Mike Ellsworth, Dave Surofchek, Brian Keck, Mike Uker, Dan Niebur, or Ethan Bosch, ask them about it.  I don't quite recall who was in the room at the time, and I'm out of touch with those guys.

• Buckxell and GoNotQuietly like this

#50 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

My late uncle was the wrestling and football coach in a SMALL VILLagE in Kansas during the 70s. He told me about this kid who he tried to recruit to come out for his teams, but the kid said his father wouldn't let him and he had to go home immediately after school to work on the family farm. The kid was a bit of a geek wearing black framed glasses, but supposedly was able to run faster than a locomotive. Rumor had it he was also able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Kid moved out to a big METROPOLItan Scity and became a successful new paper reporter.

I am aging now, I am only faster than a slow bullet. Sometimes I win, sometimes the locomotive wins, and I need a running start to get over tall buildings.
  • BigTenFanboy likes this

#51 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

Yeah Ray Bronzer, elite rock climbers, most who test themselves on boulders, are freaky strong that way. Fun to watch.

#52 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

Dennis is a pretty good rock climber himself. He did a lot of that when he was on his 'vision quest' post college. Probably has a lot to do with his grip strength and brutal gut wrench (and the pull ups as well).

#53 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Dennis is a pretty good rock climber himself. He did a lot of that when he was on his 'vision quest' post college. Probably has a lot to do with his grip strength and brutal gut wrench (and the pull ups as well).

Yeah, like that. I like it but it was work, those guy make it look easy. My kid,and strong girls in general are also really good.Girls because they naturally use more legs than upper body.

#54 iwrite

iwrite
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

Many years ago, I saw Mark Johnson, a member of the 1980 Greco-Roman Olympic team and two-time NCAA runnerup at Michigan, curl 250 pounds for 10 reps,using only a slight back bend. He weighed about 195 at the time and the national magazine Strength & Health printed a story about Mark doing that. Also, Mike Chapman, the guy who writes books about wrestling and who created WIN magazine and the Dan Hodge Trophy, bench pressed 330 pounds while on his neck in a wrestler's bridge. (He could do 440 on a flat bench at the time, weighting 205). Chapman said he was inspired to do the wrestler's bridge lift after reading a story of George Hackenschmidt, known as The Russian Lion, doing that back in 1910.

• Buckxell and GoNotQuietly like this

#55 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

I think Jake Herbert has done 50 pullups on line. Granted, pales compared to the bull**** 100 pullup stories on here, but Jake was a big guy and actually did it :D

Also...how can one not  be impressed with a 133 pound guy bench pressing 285 pounds?

• cjc007 likes this

#56 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

You guys would be absolutely amazed at how strong Dan Dennis is. I've never seen him do 100 pull ups before, but with the crazy sh*t I've seen him do, it wouldn't surprise me in the least
  • GoNotQuietly likes this

#57 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

17-year-old high schooler does 7,300 pull-ups to smash world record

https://www.sbnation...deo-high-school

• GoNotQuietly likes this

#58 manyak

manyak

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

I've seen 50 year old men do 50+ in a row. I've seen women do 20+ in a row. I have no trouble believing a world class lower weight athlete could do 100 in a row.

I don't think insane strength and athleticism is required to be a world class wrestler, but people are capable of crazy things if they work at it.

#59 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

I think Jake Herbert has done 50 pullups on line. Granted, pales compared to the bull**** 100 pullup stories on here, but Jake was a big guy and actually did it :D

Also...how can one not  be impressed with a 133 pound guy bench pressing 285 pounds

Hmmm. If a 133 lber can bench 285, hitting a baseball must be more difficult than bench pressing heavy weight

#60 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:04 AM

regarding 100 strict pull-ups. I recently saw video of Jim Gruenwald doing 100. As others have noted he is freaky strong on this type of strength movement, but his 100 were far from strict. so 100 strict pull ups is still a little out there for me to comprehend.

strong as hell, great wrestler, no doubt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users