• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

Hmmm. If a 133 lber can bench 285, hitting a baseball must be more difficult than bench pressing heavy weight

A guy doesn't even have to bench 100 pounds in order to hit a baseball....

#62 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

regarding 100 strict pull-ups. I recently saw video of Jim Gruenwald doing 100. As others have noted he is freaky strong on this type of strength movement, but his 100 were far from strict. so 100 strict pull ups is still a little out there for me to comprehend.

strong as hell, great wrestler, no doubt

Any relation to Wally Gruenwald? Wrestled him in JH and he was strong as an ox.

#63 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

Anthony Robles can do 200 one legged pull ups easily
  • olddirty likes this

#64 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

Anthony Robles can do 200 one legged pull ups easily

Is it claimed he can do 200 pull ups? I never though of that as a metric of his strength, best argument i have heard that he had an unfair disadvantage

#65 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

Is it claimed he can do 200 pull ups? I never though of that as a metric of his strength, best argument i have heard that he had an unfair disadvantage

Crazy Cool huh? I saw it on TMZ. Harvey was flexing the whole segment.

#66 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:36 AM

Most athletes carry half their body weight in their upper body (normal sedentary people carry more in their lower body). Imagining redistributing 1/4 of your body weight from your lower body to your upper body and you have Robles’s upper body. For a 125 lber, that’s 30+ lbs, and likely more (40+) since Robles’s only leg was atrophied due to his condition. He had the upper body of a jacked 165-174 lber. I’m not sure that’s enough to overcome his disability (probably not), but a couple of guys I know who wrestled him said they’d never experienced anything close to grip strength and torque on top like his, even in practice when they’d roll around with middleweights to get in work with heavier guys. One of the guys was pretty jacked himself and looks sort of like Tomasello.

I can believe he can do 200 pull-ups.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 03 October 2017 - 12:38 AM.

#67 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:22 AM

Pretty sure Gruenwald could do 100 plus pull ups. He could also do one arm hanging pull ups.... not bracing the arm but literally hanging. Some people just have a talent for such things.

Yep, I never found one arm pull ups to be a problem. The look on people's face when you pull them out is priceless. I have heard plenty of times that Gruenwald could do a ton of pull ups. I want to see what he's doing. Everyone seems to have a different definition of what a proper pull up is. The "correct form" varies greatly from one person to the next. This is true for both one and two handed pull ups. I've seen people count pull ups that I would never count.

#68 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,981 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

Yep, I never found one arm pull ups to be a problem. The look on people's face when you pull them out is priceless. I have heard plenty of times that Gruenwald could do a ton of pull ups. I want to see what he's doing. Everyone seems to have a different definition of what a proper pull up is. The "correct form" varies greatly from one person to the next. This is true for both one and two handed pull ups. I've seen people count pull ups that I would never count.

Well for one arm pull ups, while bracing the arm, I can do more then 2 arm. Especially when I am heavy. 1 arm from a hanging position, other arm at your side is part strength and part physiology. I had world class strength but could only ever get two of those. A proper pull up for records is over hand, a slight pause at the bottom, chin over, no legs or hips involved. In other words no cheats.

#69 powershouse

powershouse

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

Try getting into it with a top calibre woman free climber. You might be surprised at how strong they are.

That is what I thought of when convo turned to one-arm pull-ups

#70 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:00 AM

One arm pullups (no bracing with the other arm) from a true dead hang are ridiculously tough. I would bet only two or three of our national team members could do even one. I know JB can do one (but just one). He has a huge upper body with massive arms and tiny legs. Maybe one of the lighter guys like Gilman can do one too.

SIXTEEN in a row with a single arm like Gruenwald did is preposterous, downright freakish right up there with a 1000 lb squat and 700 lb raw bench in terms of impressiveness. As I said, if Brinzer wasn’t who he is, I would immediately cal BS. That has to be a world record or damn close.

#71 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:40 AM

For that matter, I watched Dave and Jeff Alexander, a pair of twins on my junior high team, each break 100 pull-ups with good form.  They were serious gymnasts, and I think they each weighed around 70 at the time.

I could see this. I want to see the form on Gruenwald's one-handers. I can't tell how impressive that is unless I see how they're done. If he can do 16 while fully extending his arm between each real, I would definitely have to tip my hat to him.

#72 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:15 AM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=FC74Pa9WTVw

#73 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:08 AM

dang

#74 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:20 AM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=FC74Pa9WTVw

Now those are proper pull-ups. For those mentioning high pull-up numbers, is this what we are talking about? Full extension and pause at the bottom?

#75 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Now those are proper pull-ups. For those mentioning high pull-up numbers, is this what we are talking about? Full extension and pause at the bottom?

Yeah, I'm not even sure how you could hang for that long. 

#76 Ray_Brinzer

Ray_Brinzer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:02 AM

One arm pullups (no bracing with the other arm) from a true dead hang are ridiculously tough. I would bet only two or three of our national team members could do even one. I know JB can do one (but just one). He has a huge upper body with massive arms and tiny legs. Maybe one of the lighter guys like Gilman can do one too.

SIXTEEN in a row with a single arm like Gruenwald did is preposterous, downright freakish right up there with a 1000 lb squat and 700 lb raw bench in terms of impressiveness. As I said, if Brinzer wasn’t who he is, I would immediately cal BS. That has to be a world record or damn close.

I don't recall seeing anyone else do more than one, and there aren't that many people I've seen do one.  I never managed one.  So there was a real sense of "WTF am I watching?" as it was going on.

I could see this. I want to see the form on Gruenwald's one-handers. I can't tell how impressive that is unless I see how they're done. If he can do 16 while fully extending his arm between each real, I would definitely have to tip my hat to him.

I can describe it:  ugly.  Full range, but ugly.  He'd go down and dangle... sometimes rotating awkwardly, sometimes turning a bit sideways, so that his head wasn't pointed up.  You'd think that had to be it, and then he'd correct it and hoist himself up again.  Some kicking on later ones, if I recall correctly.  Chin cleared.  The whole thing took quite awhile.

It was 17, and I'm not sure he did it more than once.  He later told me that it hurt his shoulder.

It's a weird story.  If people don't believe it, I can't say I blame them, and it doesn't really bother me. From their standpoint, it's one guy's testimony; from mine, I don't get anything out of it either way.  But I'm willing to say in public, "I saw this thing."

• Buckxell likes this

#77 fullnelson

fullnelson

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:42 AM

Try this-

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users