Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

Tom Brands contract extension

Aye, pre-2011 are murky times indeed. 

All kidding aside though, I think this was the right move by Iowa.  It was somewhat disconcerting when I saw Iowa ranked only 10th by WIN.  But I suspect Brands will have the Hawks moving steadily up the rankings as the season progresses.  He should never be underestimated - even in a rebuilding year with teams like Ohio State and Penn State loaded.

EDIT:  OTOH, after reading subsequent posts, I'm re-thinking whether this is Iowa's best move or not.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

I really don't know what to make of this.   As a fan of NC2A wrestling and with the good of the sport in mind, I believe it's imperative there be a power in Iowa.      There needs to be one in California as well and perhaps another in in the west and 1 in the south.       But could that Iowa power be the Cyclones of Iowa State?     Lets be honest with ourselves here, Brands isn't exactly building teams of intergalactic prowess and that's despite getting the types of guys he wants on the team.     

But could that Iowa power be the Cyclones of Iowa State?  

At least for THIS year, and as a dual team, which is all that I consider anyway, that power will be those pesky UNI Panthers.  They are the best team in Iowa, at least for this year.

Edited by ban basketball

With PD3's transfer, Iowa is still the top Iowa team this year.

Not in a dual meet, which won't happen anyway.  Run through any Sqwawker lineup that you can come up with and they don't beat UNI, head to head.

UNI

125-Jacob Schwarm

133-Rudy Yates

141-Josh Alber

149-Max Thomsen

157-Paden Moore

165-Bryce Steiert

174-Taylor Lujan

184-Drew Foster

197-Jacob Holschlag

285-Carter Isley

Edited by ban basketball

Well I am glad to see The Cyclones hired Dresser, and he in turn immediately assembled what appears a great staff. However, this being his first year, I'm not sure how well they will do, but I believe they have a couple of kids that should do well in March. I think we see Storr somewhere on the podium at the Big Dance.

Doug Schwab has also managed to produce some very tough wrestlers who have gone on to become AA's. This year they look have several returning starters, led by Max Thomsen who has a 5th place finish at the NCAA's under his belt. So I think they're in decent shape.

The Brands Bros., have only two AA's returning, in Kemdog, and Sorenson, but they have some other wrestlers I think will do very well in Marinelli, and Stoll. Additionally they landed PD3, and I expect that he will also be on the podium come March. So even without talking about Spencer Lee, I think Iowa, will do well, even in this down year.

Well I am glad to see The Cyclones hired Dresser, and he in turn immediately assembled what appears a great staff. However, this being his first year, I'm not sure how well they will do, but I believe they have a couple of kids that should do well in March. I think we see Storr somewhere on the podium at the Big Dance.

Doug Schwab has also managed to produce some very tough wrestlers who have gone on to become AA's. This year they look have several returning starters, led by Max Thomsen who has a 5th place finish at the NCAA's under his belt. So I think they're in decent shape.

The Brands Bros., have only two AA's returning, in Kemdog, and Sorenson, but they have some other wrestlers I think will do very well in Marinelli, and Stoll. Additionally they landed PD3, and I expect that he will also be on the podium come March. So even without talking about Spencer Lee, I think Iowa, will do well, even in this down year.

Pd3 is also a returning AA from 2015/16.

They have 3 guys who could very well make the finals. If Marinelli improved in the offseason as expected and Stoll is healthy, they could make the podium. Add in Lee and a possible AA at 141, and they could place as high as 3rd.

I'm still picking them to not make the podium, but I'm excited to watch how this pans out

Cael declared that duals don't matter, so they don't. But I could see Iowa taking 149, 157, one of 165-197, 184, and HWT with more bonus due to 149, 157, and 184.

Cael never said that nor did he ever trot out a line up where he didn't want to and try to win. Some of the biggest natty duals pushers, on the other hand, have been all too willing to put out line ups that scream out that they could care less about actually winning duals.

Edited by TBar1977

Cael never said that nor did he ever trot out a line up where he didn't want to and try to win. Some of the biggest natty duals pushers, on the other hand. They trot out line ups that scream out they could care less about duals.

Bull. That's only in the years since Cael made them irrelevant.

I really don't know what to make of this.   As a fan of NC2A wrestling and with the good of the sport in mind, I believe it's imperative there be a power in Iowa.      There needs to be one in California as well and perhaps another in in the west and 1 in the south.       But could that Iowa power be the Cyclones of Iowa State?     Lets be honest with ourselves here, Brands isn't exactly building teams of intergalactic prowess and that's despite getting the types of guys he wants on the team.     

I think Brands has recruited much better the last few years and will probably contend very soon.  If Iowa were to replace Brands, it would have to be with a former Hawkeye.  Not sure who they would go to if Brands does underachieve.  Can't be Terry.  Who else is in a good position as a former Hawkeye?  Not the guy at State.  It'll come to me.  

I think Brands will do fine.  Now that he has some top recruits as Marinelli, Kemmerer, Lee, and Warner...I would think the expectations are huge the next few years.  And that Cassioppi kid is real good, too.  

I think Brands has recruited much better the last few years and will probably contend very soon.  If Iowa were to replace Brands, it would have to be with a former Hawkeye.  Not sure who they would go to if Brands does underachieve.  Can't be Terry.  Who else is in a good position as a former Hawkeye?  Not the guy at State.  It'll come to me.  

I think Brands will do fine.  Now that he has some top recruits as Marinelli, Kemmerer, Lee, and Warner...I would think the expectations are huge the next few years.  And that Cassioppi kid is real good, too.  

What's the reason it needs to be a former Hawk and not a guy like Burroughs, or Dake, or Taylor?     I'm not particular privy with the fan base needs and wants.   Is it something they demand?    

I think Brands has recruited much better the last few years and will probably contend very soon. If Iowa were to replace Brands, it would have to be with a former Hawkeye. Not sure who they would go to if Brands does underachieve. Can't be Terry. Who else is in a good position as a former Hawkeye? Not the guy at State. It'll come to me.

I think Brands will do fine. Now that he has some top recruits as Marinelli, Kemmerer, Lee, and Warner...I would think the expectations are huge the next few years. And that Cassioppi kid is real good, too.

This....his recruiting has been very weak in the past with too much reliance on Iowa kids. You need athletes to win and kids who are D1 ready out of HS. Brands is finally doing that now.

PSU isn't going anywhere and neither will tOSU but I see a strong 3-4 team race in 2-3 years, especially if OSU red shirts both Fix and Smith.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk