Sign in to follow this  
RoadrunnerPride

The State of Maryland

4 world champs, maybe two goats (Kyle and Helen)

And now this

http://www.garrettlakers.com/general/2017-18/releases/20170921j4t4fx

Yet not much to get excited about at College Park (UMD)

What is it going to take to get the Terps going? Seems odd they can't close the deal on the local talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All it takes is one.  Who is doing their recruiting?  Not odd that they cant take in local talent, historically they have not produced national/AA contenders which causes prospects to look elsewhere.  Moving to the Big Ten helps, but they need the support from the Athletics Department...Do they have this? (honest question)  Furthermore, with the rise of RTC's and most Blue Chip's international aspirations, whats maryland got to offer thats going to top a TOSU, PSU, Iowa  etc. etc?  I for one hope they rise, I love seeing talent dispersed throughout the country.  Makes for a more interesting season.  

Maybe Kyle gets the HC job at U of M... it is very attractable destination to go especially for east coast talent

This would be awesome. Hopefully that is exactly what happens once he is done competing.

Q- How often do our world team level guys coach and compete at the same time? Is that normal or do they usually retire from competition first? Would love to see Maryland land Snyder but not more than wanting to see him compete for a decade or so more.

Terps are hurting on the recruiting trail more than anything else. There's obviously more to the story than that but if you can't recruit at the same level as your peers, it's going to be darn hard to compete against them. They've lost momentum from the good run they has 7-10 yrs ago There are so many new & ambitious coaches these days, that the competitive landscape is greater than ever. The state of Maryland is starting to produce some elite kids and McCoy needs to figure out how to keep some home. He needs a kid like Brooks to sign on and hope others follow. Personality wise he's more laid back so it's hard to compete against some of the coaches who have big personalities and are to some degree full of ****

Edited by SalvatoreG

This would be awesome. Hopefully that is exactly what happens once he is done competing.

Q- How often do our world team level guys coach and compete at the same time? Is that normal or do they usually retire from competition first? Would love to see Maryland land Snyder but not more than wanting to see him compete for a decade or so more.

do you mean as a head coach or as an assistant? fairly common as an assistant not so much as a head coach. as a head coach/still competitive wrestler....seems to me you can't really do either one 100%. Cael did his one off return a few years back, but wasn't consistently competing while head coaching for long. I think Bono while head coach at UTC was still competing high level in freestyle.

Back a bit ....I think John Smith and Kenny Monday were co-head coaches at Ok St while still actively competing in free for a year or so.     

do you mean as a head coach or as an assistant? fairly common as an assistant not so much as a head coach. as a head coach/still competitive wrestler....seems to me you can't really do either one 100%. Cael did his one off return a few years back, but wasn't consistently competing while head coaching for long. I think Bono while head coach at UTC was still competing high level in freestyle.

Back a bit ....I think John Smith and Kenny Monday were co-head coaches at Ok St while still actively competing in free for a year or so.

Coleman did that at UNC during the last Olympic year too right?

Maybe Kyle gets the HC job at U of M... it is very attractable destination to go especially for east coast talent

If Maryland was really smart they'd give the HC job to Trevel immediately, then bring Kyle in later.