Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Greatest wrestler from each State?

For high school, Nickerson no doubt.  Overall, maybe Jesse Jantzen or Carl Adams.  Hard to argue against Nick Gwiazdowski, tbh, and he isn't even done yet.

For high school, Nickerson no doubt.  Overall, maybe Jesse Jantzen or Carl Adams.  Hard to argue against Nick Gwiazdowski, tbh, and he isn't even done yet.

Overall- Jantzen, Adams or The Gwiz over Ed or Lou Banach?  lol

I was thinking total career.

That said, given what Jason Bryant mentions previously, does Terry's single Olympic gold trump Kristoff's three silvers and two bronze? Should sustained success be rewarded in this case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kolat was the best to ever come out of PA.  Period.  He may not have the hardware, but he was absolutely, monumentally screwed multiple times on the International scene.

All you need to do is go to FLO and watch their Kolat special if you disagree.  After that, I will truly be surprised if you still want to put someone from PA ahead of him!

Edited by MSU158

Kolat was the best to ever come out of PA.  Period.  He may not have the hardware, but he was absolutely, monumentally screwed multiple times on the International scene.

All you need to do is go to FLO and watch their Kolat special if you disagree.  After that, I will truly be surprised if you still want to put someone from PA ahead of him!

So what is criteria is used determine the greatest ever from a state? Greatest talent/ability/potential/expectations? Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree that Kolat was royally screwed at the Olympics. I just want to be on the same page as the message this thread is trying to deliver.

So what is criteria is used determine the greatest ever from a state? Greatest talent/ability/potential/expectations? Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree that Kolat was royally screwed at the Olympics. I just want to be on the same page as the message this thread is trying to deliver.

Sometimes being the best isn't solely based on medals won or NCAA tournament results only. If you simply watched Kolat wrestle, you would see for yourself just how good he was.

Honestly, if not for all the screw jobs, he probably would have wrestled a 2nd cycle and would be on par with Burroughs and Smith for medals.

Sometimes being the best isn't solely based on medals won or NCAA tournament results only. If you simply watched Kolat wrestle, you would see for yourself just how good he was.

Honestly, if not for all the screw jobs, he probably would have wrestled a 2nd cycle and would be on par with Burroughs and Smith for medals.

I've watched Kolat many many times. I agree. However I recently came out of another discussion where the only measure of how good someone was was based on world and olympic medals.

Overall- Jantzen, Adams or The Gwiz over Ed or Lou Banach?  lol

Opps, forgot them since they were so far before my time.  They are definitely in the discussion, but it is hard for me to judge those '84 medals with the boycott.  I'm going to ask some of my old coaches who they think is the best.

I'm mostly going off of wrestlers from my lifetime (last 30 years), but here are the top picks from my state.

Nebraska born Greco: Brad Vering (World Silver 2007, two time olympian, four time world team member, NCAA Champ)

Nebraska born Freestyle: Craig Brester (had some nail biters with Varner, even beating him once at big XII's, twice NCAA runner-up, could have maybe made a few world teams if it weren't for Varner)

Nebraska college transplant Greco: Rulon Gardner (Olympic Gold, Olympic Silver, World Gold, NCAA All-American)

Nebraska college transplant Freestyle: Jordan Burroughs (Olympic Gold, four time World Champ, World Bronze, twice NCAA champ)

Overall Best = JB

*Fun fact: Vering and Brester both attended Howells High School (town with population well under 1000 people)

Edited by Lubongo