Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Greatest wrestler from each State?

Any big names from states who don't normally produce competitive wrestlers...Who was the greatest from Alabama? 

Louisiana - Daniel Cormier

Texas - Brandon Slay or Tervel Dlagnev

Montana - Bill Zadick

New Mexico - Scott Owen? Does NM get to take some credit for Bo Nickal?

Don't forget Duane Goldman.  Also,  Henry Cejudo /2.

Lol!!  Cejudo was almost completely coached and trained at Maryvale H.S. in Arizona.  The only reason Cejudo wrestled in Colorado was to be close to the OTC.   Same as Helen Maroulis training in California but she's really from Maryland. 

You guys should celebrate your first olympian ever Adeline Grey!  

Edited by fanta

Lol!!  Cejudo was almost completely coached and trained at Maryvale H.S. in Arizona.  The only reason Cejudo wrestled in Colorado was to be close to the OTC.   Same as Helen Maroulis training in California but she's really from Maryland. 

You guys should celebrate your first olympian ever Adeline Grey!  

LOL!! That why its half bro!

Opps, forgot them since they were so far before my time.  They are definitely in the discussion, but it is hard for me to judge those '84 medals with the boycott.  I'm going to ask some of my old coaches who they think is the best.

Oh, no big deal.  I remembered they started wrestling in HS(in NY)

The Banachs don't have the same HS credentials as Nickerson(5 titles), but I'd take Ed over Nickerson.  2x state champ in HS, 4x NCAA finalist, 3x NCAA champion, Olympic champ.  You can only show up and wrestle against who is there and Ed won in '84, so no taking that away from him although I understand the argument of no Russia.

Indiana: Angel Escobedo (3X B1G Champ, 4X NCAA All American, 2008 NCAA Champion, 5th in the world 2013)

Would you say Reece Humphrey and Jason Tsirtsis are in that discussion for Indiana? Tsirstis isn't done yet obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!! That why its half bro!

Oh yeah and don't forget Colorado gets Kyle Snyder/4 

Edited to add: And doesn't that logic mean Kentucky gets Mark Hall/7 or something like that...?

*insert eye roll*

Edited by nyum

Kolat was screwed in the 2000 Olympics and the 1998 and 1999 World Championships.  He should have been champion in all three. 

mspart

I think this is going too far. The Kolat "getting screwed" is often blown out of proportion. Ex. Is it really fair to say that he "got screwed" at the 2000 Olympics? That he should have been a 3X champion. Really?

I think this is going too far. The Kolat "getting screwed" is often blown out of proportion. Ex. Is it really fair to say that he "got screwed" at the 2000 Olympics? That he should have been a 3X champion. Really?

He won a match in a year there was "supposed to" be no protests allowed.  Then, guess what, the protest happened.  That guy would go on to win the Gold.  Now, is it fair to say he definitely would have won the gold?  No.  But, it is ABSOLUTELY fair to say he got screwed.  The worst part about it was it was literally the 3rd year in a row that it happened to him.

Also, if you wanted to just look at one year, it may not be as big of a deal.  But, the fact that it happened so many times is flat out ridiculous........

Oh yeah and don't forget Colorado gets Kyle Snyder/4 

Edited to add: And doesn't that logic mean Kentucky gets Mark Hall/7 or something like that...?

*insert eye roll*

Henry Cejudo wrestled two years of HS in AZ and two in CO.  Kyle Snyder didn't wrestle HS in Colorado.  Mark Hall being from KY  is your call.  

From http://articles.mcall.com/2000-09-30/sports/3314022_1_wrestling-cary-kolat-protest

1.  In the finals of the 1997 World Championships, he was wrestling an Iranian, who kept buying time by loosening the laces on his wrestling shoes. Kolat eventually lost the bout, and when the incident was reviewed, the international sanctioning body for wrestling established a new rule that wrestlers must tape their laces to prevent them from coming loose. 

2.  In the quarterfinals of the 1998 World Championships, he left the gym thinking he had a quarterfinal victory. The result was protested, and 90 minutes later, the bout was awarded to his opponent. That situation sparked the writing of a rule calling for a re-wrestle in the event a protest is upheld.

3.  In the semifinals of the 1999 World Championships, wrestling with a separated shoulder, he beat a world champion from Ukraine, had the decision reversed under protest and then had to re-wrestle an hour later. He lost in overtime.

4.  Then the four-time PIAA champion and two-time NCAA champion was knocked out of the Olympics tournament on the first day after a set of circumstances that, if they happened to anyone else, would be considered bizarre. But because they happened to him, they are perceived almost as routine.

Kolat had his hand raised in victory over 1997 world champion Mohammad Talaei of Iran in the opening round. During the bout, Kolat was credited with one two-point takedown that was reviewed by the judges. Upon looking at wrestling's equivalent of the instant replay, the judges let the points stand.

But almost immediately after the bout, Iranian coaches lodged a protest of the scoring.

When a bout is protested, a panel looks at the videotape of the entire match, re-scoring it if they deem it necessary. If they come up with a score different from that given during the match, the protest is upheld and the bout is re-wrestled in its entirety.

The backroom panel overturned the matside decision of the judges and called for a re-wrestle. Kolat gave up five points, four on turns on which he may have had a mental lapse, and lost 5-4.

`The scoring was really messed up on the re-wrestle,` said Lehigh University Coach Greg Strobel, a co-coach of the U.S. Olympic team. `They gave the Iranian too many points one time and didn't give Cary enough another time. That would have changed it.`

pixel.gif

So, coach, why not protest the scoring?

Well, it seems the rules say you can't protest a protested match.

`It's really unfortunate, but that's the rule,` Strobel said. `It's not logical, you're right, but I don't make rules. We try to influence them to change the rules. Sometimes they change. You have to worry about only the things you can control.`

Because of his losses two new rule changes were  made. 

So maybe I was hasty saying he could have been champion, but I really believe it to be so.   He should have been.  The best wrestler we have ever had to not make it and all because he was screwed out of the victories. 

mspart

Guys, I know the history of Kolat's career quite well. I don't see him as a sure thing for three titles. Also, I don't see him really getting "screwed" in the 2000 Olympics. The re-wrestle was written in the rules at that point. The re-wrestle was justified imo. It's been a while since I've watched it, but I remember more people being upset with the fact that type of situation was happening to Kolat again rather than the actual call being bad.

He won a match in a year there was "supposed to" be no protests allowed.  Then, guess what, the protest happened.  That guy would go on to win the Gold.  Now, is it fair to say he definitely would have won the gold?  No.  But, it is ABSOLUTELY fair to say he got screwed.  The worst part about it was it was literally the 3rd year in a row that it happened to him.

Also, if you wanted to just look at one year, it may not be as big of a deal.  But, the fact that it happened so many times is flat out ridiculous........

So, then, you don't believe that he was "screwed" in 2000?

Just to clarify, Pa state titles are valued higher than Olympic and World Gold?

We have a storied domestic wrestling history.  I'll be the first to admit, PA's International success is not good. I think in the next couple of cycles we will catch up.

Louisiana - Daniel Cormier

Texas - Brandon Slay or Tervel Dlagnev

Montana - Bill Zadick

New Mexico - Scott Owen? Does NM get to take some credit for Bo Nickal?

Gotta add Stephen Neal to Texas.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk