• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 JBluegill133

JBluegill133

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Any big names from states who don't normally produce competitive wrestlers...Who was the greatest from Alabama? 

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

#42 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

Kolat was the best to ever come out of PA.  Period.  He may not have the hardware, but he was absolutely, monumentally screwed multiple times on the International scene.

All you need to do is go to FLO and watch their Kolat special if you disagree.  After that, I will truly be surprised if you still want to put someone from PA ahead of him!

So what is criteria is used determine the greatest ever from a state? Greatest talent/ability/potential/expectations? Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree that Kolat was royally screwed at the Olympics. I just want to be on the same page as the message this thread is trying to deliver.

#43 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

Kolat was screwed in the 2000 Olympics and the 1998 and 1999 World Championships.  He should have been champion in all three. 

mspart

#44 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

So what is criteria is used determine the greatest ever from a state? Greatest talent/ability/potential/expectations? Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree that Kolat was royally screwed at the Olympics. I just want to be on the same page as the message this thread is trying to deliver.

Sometimes being the best isn't solely based on medals won or NCAA tournament results only. If you simply watched Kolat wrestle, you would see for yourself just how good he was.

Honestly, if not for all the screw jobs, he probably would have wrestled a 2nd cycle and would be on par with Burroughs and Smith for medals.

#45 PSUNatChamps

PSUNatChamps

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

Agree with all the posts regarding Kolat's international screw jobs.  Never realized it to the extent it was until I watched the special on him on Flo about two years ago.  

#46 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

Sometimes being the best isn't solely based on medals won or NCAA tournament results only. If you simply watched Kolat wrestle, you would see for yourself just how good he was.
Honestly, if not for all the screw jobs, he probably would have wrestled a 2nd cycle and would be on par with Burroughs and Smith for medals.

I've watched Kolat many many times. I agree. However I recently came out of another discussion where the only measure of how good someone was was based on world and olympic medals.
  • tightwaist likes this

#47 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Overall- Jantzen, Adams or The Gwiz over Ed or Lou Banach?  lol

Opps, forgot them since they were so far before my time.  They are definitely in the discussion, but it is hard for me to judge those '84 medals with the boycott.  I'm going to ask some of my old coaches who they think is the best.

#48 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,291 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

Arizona is Cejudo.

#49 Lubongo

Lubongo
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'm mostly going off of wrestlers from my lifetime (last 30 years), but here are the top picks from my state.

Nebraska born Greco: Brad Vering (World Silver 2007, two time olympian, four time world team member, NCAA Champ)

Nebraska born Freestyle: Craig Brester (had some nail biters with Varner, even beating him once at big XII's, twice NCAA runner-up, could have maybe made a few world teams if it weren't for Varner)

Nebraska college transplant Greco: Rulon Gardner (Olympic Gold, Olympic Silver, World Gold, NCAA All-American)

Nebraska college transplant Freestyle: Jordan Burroughs (Olympic Gold, four time World Champ, World Bronze, twice NCAA champ)

Overall Best = JB

*Fun fact: Vering and Brester both attended Howells High School (town with population well under 1000 people)

Edited by Lubongo, 25 September 2017 - 12:19 PM.

• PRyan2012 likes this

#50 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,291 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Fun one (and Maryland).... Kyle or Helen. Both won 2 WC and Olympic Gold. Both beat lb for lb. Helen did beat a top 2 GOAT. Both had stellar world this year. Tie?
  • gutfirst likes this

#51 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

Any big names from states who don't normally produce competitive wrestlers...Who was the greatest from Alabama? 

Louisiana - Daniel Cormier

Texas - Brandon Slay or Tervel Dlagnev

Montana - Bill Zadick

New Mexico - Scott Owen? Does NM get to take some credit for Bo Nickal?

• JBluegill133 likes this

#52 smcfee

smcfee

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

KS=Melvin Douglas, Myron Roderick, 

Even a blind hog eventually can find a truffle if he sniffs hard enough!

#53 JBluegill133

JBluegill133

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

Louisiana - Daniel Cormier
Texas - Brandon Slay or Tervel Dlagnev
Montana - Bill Zadick
New Mexico - Scott Owen? Does NM get to take some credit for Bo Nickal?

Really? D.C. From Louisiana? I had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

#54 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

Colorado: Adeline

For men, a few come to mind: Dean Lahr, Cherrington, Graff, Medbery, Tom Clum

Ryan Deakin
Cohl Shultz
  • Yellow_Medal likes this
Tony Clifton

#55 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Don't forget Duane Goldman.  Also,  Henry Cejudo /2.

Lol!!  Cejudo was almost completely coached and trained at Maryvale H.S. in Arizona.  The only reason Cejudo wrestled in Colorado was to be close to the OTC.   Same as Helen Maroulis training in California but she's really from Maryland. 

You guys should celebrate your first olympian ever Adeline Grey!  

Edited by fanta, 25 September 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#56 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:36 PM

Lol!!  Cejudo was almost completely coached and trained at Maryvale H.S. in Arizona.  The only reason Cejudo wrestled in Colorado was to be close to the OTC.   Same as Helen Maroulis training in California but she's really from Maryland. 

You guys should celebrate your first olympian ever Adeline Grey!  

LOL!! That why its half bro!

#57 CA_Wrestler

CA_Wrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:55 PM

Opps, forgot them since they were so far before my time.  They are definitely in the discussion, but it is hard for me to judge those '84 medals with the boycott.  I'm going to ask some of my old coaches who they think is the best.

Oh, no big deal.  I remembered they started wrestling in HS(in NY)

The Banachs don't have the same HS credentials as Nickerson(5 titles), but I'd take Ed over Nickerson.  2x state champ in HS, 4x NCAA finalist, 3x NCAA champion, Olympic champ.  You can only show up and wrestle against who is there and Ed won in '84, so no taking that away from him although I understand the argument of no Russia.

• Alwayswrestling and GoNotQuietly like this

#58 websterk149

websterk149

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:37 AM

Indiana: Angel Escobedo (3X B1G Champ, 4X NCAA All American, 2008 NCAA Champion, 5th in the world 2013)

Would you say Reece Humphrey and Jason Tsirtsis are in that discussion for Indiana? Tsirstis isn't done yet obviously.

#59 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:10 AM

Really? D.C. From Louisiana? I had no idea.

http://fightland.vic...me-to-louisiana

Yes, sir!

#60 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:23 AM

LOL!! That why its half bro!

Oh yeah and don't forget Colorado gets Kyle Snyder/4 

Edited to add: And doesn't that logic mean Kentucky gets Mark Hall/7 or something like that...?

*insert eye roll*

Edited by nyum, 26 September 2017 - 02:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users