Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Boris Novachkov to HWC

Typically the RTC guys do train with the college guys since it's a legal way to get around the coaching limitations. The college guys can always go train out of college practice. The RTC guys can come to practice under certain minor restrictions although the resident athletes have to think about how much folkstyle they want to do.

This is a great get for HWC. Boris is obviously very talented but he has a very different style which is why I'm big on him. I forget the match but I remember he hit a toss in OT or something to get the fall over another very good wrestler -- very exciting

What's the status of the Illini RTC?  Still a thing?  I only recall Boris & Delgado as the only two current members, but maybe forgetting about someone...

Delgado has also switched to HWC. Interesting that Iowa will have wrestlers representing the United States, Bulgaria, and Mexico in their room. Starting to rival NLWC as far as diversity goes. 

What's the status of the Illini RTC?  Still a thing?  I only recall Boris & Delgado as the only two current members, but maybe forgetting about someone...

well they just hired the head coach from Washington High School (jacob warner alma mater) Bryan Medlin, as the head RTC coach.  I'm having trouble finding anything resembling a roster and their twitter has been inactive for a year. 

Well with Coach Dresser, immediately hiring a talent ladden staff upon his arrival at Iowa St., I think the Brands Bros., felt like they needed to make some moves as well. This should be a huge benefit for the Hawkeye wrestlers, both in terms of sparring but also getting his insights as well.

Now that both the Hawkeyes and Cyclones have been very active this past year, I wonder what Schwab will do?

Just what the Hawkeyes need...another lightweight coach.

No offense to Boris, but what does Novachov bring that either of the Brands doesn't bring more of?

The fact that he's ACTIVELY competing on the senior level and he wrestles a European style for freestyle.  Different feel for everybody in the room that he's with and all of those guys should benefit.  If Tom and Terry are still the best guys in the IOWA room, then there's a problem.

Much like the NLWC room has been with the addition of Yonemitsu(2012 Olympic champion in FS).

well they just hired the head coach from Washington High School (jacob warner alma mater) Bryan Medlin, as the head RTC coach.  I'm having trouble finding anything resembling a roster and their twitter has been inactive for a year. 

Medlin is a pretty heavy Greco guy.  I wonder if he is going to steer in that direction and give greco heads another option besides northern Mich and the OTC? 

The fact that he's ACTIVELY competing on the senior level and he wrestles a European style for freestyle.  Different feel for everybody in the room that he's with and all of those guys should benefit.  If Tom and Terry are still the best guys in the IOWA room, then there's a problem.

Much like the NLWC room has been with the addition of Yonemitsu(2012 Olympic champion in FS).

Do you honestly believe there is anybody in Iowa's room "better" than the Brands? Each was a world champ and multiple time NCAA champ, and as far as I know nobody else in their room have those credentials. Boris certainly can't match them. Boris brings something, sure (possibly more from recruiting), but doesn't Iowa have bigger deficiencies to address than their light weights?

Do you honestly believe there is anybody in Iowa's room "better" than the Brands? Each was a world champ and multiple time NCAA champ, and as far as I know nobody else in their room have those credentials. Boris certainly can't match them. Boris brings something, sure (possibly more from recruiting), but doesn't Iowa have bigger deficiencies to address than their light weights?

Better at what? Instruction, teaching, coaching? No.

Boris certainly provides the HWC with an outstanding world class training/practice partner however.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Better at what? Instruction, teaching, coaching? No.

Boris certainly provides the HWC with an outstanding world class training/practice partner however.

True. I was thinking he could help them from a recruiting perspective with his recent international success. I could see how that would be a big draw for low/mid weight wrestlers with an eye for Sr level competition.

Workout partners, especially those active in the international freestyle circuit, are huge attractions for elite recruits aspiring to make world teams eventually. Huge. Suriano left Penn State of all places in search of better workout partners. Spencer Lee chose Iowa because of the best lighteweight room in the country. Why do you think Joey McKenna left Stanford, which a sizable portion of the US high school population would donate a few major organs to go to, to attend tOSU? Steven Micic High-tailed it out of Michigan risking a year of eligibility because, according to his own words, he liked the workout environment at Michigan much better. And on and on and on.

Novachkov isnt a lightweight anyway. He is a middleweight who used to work out with Imart at Illinois.

Are people seriously questioning the value of a guy like Boris in a room? Unbelievable. You can tell who didn’t wrestle in college pretty easily sometimes.

Are people seriously questioning the value of a guy like Boris in a room? Unbelievable. You can tell who didn’t wrestle in college pretty easily sometimes.

No, "people" (aka: ME) are questioning hiring a light/middle coach when their biggest deficiency is their heavy weights. And for the record: I wrestled in college and post college so apparently YOU can't tell who didn't wrestle in college.

Edited by TobusRex