#1 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Former Russian National Team Head Coach

source: http://kavpolit.com/...shibkami-35840/

Its a long interview, so the key points. 

--> "We had a bad performance in both the Europeans earlier and the Worlds".

--> "Major mistakes in training camps and team selection"

--> "Sadulaev was simply not ready functionally/physically. Spent time eating hinkal instead (Dagestan dish) -- (laughs)"

--> "Mamiashvili has no clue how the training camps go."

--> Mamiashvili and Tedeev know there will be a couple of Olympic champs on the team and they don't care for anything else, that is enough for them to survive. Let alone wrestlers immigrating, etc. Mairbek Jusopov left Russia and joined Kazakhstan and he was the brain of the Russian team. They left him to go.

--> "Sajid Sajidov being excluded from the national team everywhere, no Olympics, no Europeans, etc, its a travesty...yet many of the wrestlers are his."

--> "The wrestling federation is simply not working .. unclear where the money goes... I had to pay Sadulaev's license myself. Nobody knows where the money goes in the federation...everything is super secret"

--> "Kerimov put 44M USD in Russian wrestling before Olympics 2008 in China...Karelin and Khadarstev asked Mamiashvili to report where those $$$ are...but he couldn't answer any of the questions...it even reached the government, this question...yet Mamiashvili escaped somehow again.."

--> "I am basically doing the work of Mamiashvili now, that he is supposed to be doing...I am actually paying 42 stipends now to top wrestlers...Sadulaev's, Makhov's, etc...I pay them about 300$/month...not much but still something...why doesn't the wrestling federation pay them anything? Don't they care for these kids? These kids are not sleeping, training ... don't they deserve a bit more money?"

-->  After they fired me...I waiting days and nights in front of the office of the Russian minister of sport Mutko...and he didn't accept to see me...this is a person who is destroying sport in our country yet reached high positions...probably Mamiashvili will have a similar career...indeed all remember his "heroic" action when he hit the girl wrestler at the Olympics in Rio...why didn't he hit Boltukaev or Makhov?"

--> At the 2013 worlds, Tedeev, then a consultant to the Russian team, behind my back convinced Gatsalov to lose the 120kg final to Zaseev (who is our countryman actually but was performing for Ukraine) !  Can you imagine this !? The consultant of the team (now head coach) wanted to give the medal to Ukraine? Everyone knows this situation...Its good thing is we found out on time and Gastalov went and wrestled properly and won..."

--> I don't consider Tedeev a wrestling coach...but he is not a bad manager. He is not greedy...he would do better than Mamiashvili who should step down...he has been there too long.

--> I am a wrestling coach...even if the opportunity opens up to be a  Russian head coach...I will not look for it.

• Ray_Brinzer, Eagle26 and 2td3nf like this

#2 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Not real surprised to hear all that, but still pretty incredible.

Seriously, is Mamiashvili close to Putin?

#3 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,634 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

$44 mil??? Holy sht. It's pretty obvious where the money went. Unreal.

#4 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

We're directly reaping the benefits of Mamiashivili's greed and corruption.  Keep at it, you sleazy SOB--we'll send a Christmas card.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#5 jcjcjc

jcjcjc
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

It's like someone corrupted their wrestling system with lies and money, and it gave the US the defective Russian leader the US would have chosen to run the Russian wrestling ship aground.
  • Rhackler and Tofurky like this

#6 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:25 PM

I actually think Sadulaev not being ready to compete properly and losing was great for them. If he had somehow won gold, and he was very close, Mamiashvili would hav eagain said that things are mostly fine. But now they can more quickly fix the situation. Not sure they can get rid of him, but may be possible? 

Sad and other getting 300$/month...crazy.

Edited by wfan24, 26 September 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#7 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

They're getting $300 a month from Goose.  They also receive $ and gifts (cars, houses) from other sources.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#8 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:55 AM

this 3 part interview with Mamiashvili is great too 

http://kavpolit.com/...hto_ja_o-35855/

admits that age cheating is a problem. complains a bunch of times about being accused of fixing the refs in Rio. gets grilled about Lebedev. praises Kerimov (who Guseinov says gave Russian Wrestling $44M but then Mamiashvili stole). 

all sorts of great stuff .

#9 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

This is pretty wild

#10 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:57 AM

Its clear Sajidov and Mamiashvili don't get along. What a mess.

#11 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:59 AM

I often wonder if USA Wrestling pooled its resources, could it pull in a guy like Guseinov or Sajidov? I know Beloglazov used to be here, but he seems to be sort of a hot head.

#12 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,634 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

I often wonder if USA Wrestling pooled its resources, could it pull in a guy like Guseinov or Sajidov? I know Beloglazov used to be here, but he seems to be sort of a hot head.

You wouldn’t even have to pool resources. I am certain we could get a high level Russian coach here. Many Russians/former Soviets, and some high-level wrestlers, want to raise families here and if granted the opportunity to make a decent living sustainably, would go for it. Other than Beloglazov, another notable wrestling immigrant is wolrd champ and Olympic medalist Vougar Orujov, father of Nick and Vito Arujau. Aaron Pico’s former coach and now Helen Maroulis’s coach Valentin Kalika is another.

Unless they’re on the fraudulent take a la Mamiashvili, who wouldn’t want a real out from the Russian wrestling sht show? I think the issue is that we just haven’t asked with serious intent and a legit world-class (by modest wrestling standards) package.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 28 September 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#13 JHRoseWrestling

JHRoseWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

I have always appreciated Guseinov's demeanor. No inside information and obviously a language barrier cautions me that he could be a bad guy like some others in the Russian federation, but the simple optics of his work are attractive.

I love the thought of him coming stateside, especially because history tells me that comments like this may lead to his death.

#14 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

This stuff is incredible. Everyone on this post is so knowledgeable. I have no idea who some of these people are. If someone wouldn't mind filling in the gaps:

-- Who is Mamiashvili and what's his role? When did he take over and from whom?"

-- What is Tedeev's role and how does he relate to Mamiashvili? 

-- What is Sajidov's role?

-- Who is Kerimov (the guy who put 44mm in)?

Thanks all. 

#15 quanon

quanon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:03 AM

This stuff is incredible. Everyone on this post is so knowledgeable. I have no idea who some of these people are. If someone wouldn't mind filling in the gaps:

-- Who is Mamiashvili and what's his role? When did he take over and from whom?"

-- What is Tedeev's role and how does he relate to Mamiashvili? 

-- What is Sajidov's role?

-- Who is Kerimov (the guy who put 44mm in)?

Thanks all. 

I don't know the answers to all of those questions.

Mamiashvili is a former Greco World and Olympic champion and the head of the Russian wrestling federation. He took over the federation at some point after the breakup of the Soviet Union.  I don't know who he replaced or when he became the head guy, but it's been a long time.

Dzhambolat Tedeev is an Ossetian who wrestled for Ukraine and got 5th at the 1996 Olympics in freestyle.  I don't know if he is Elbrus Tedeev's cousin or brother.  I think they are cousins.  Elbrus won the Olympics and won worlds multiple times, including beating Kolat.  I believe that Elbrus Tedeev now runs Ukraine's wrestling federation (I know he did for a while).

I don't know much about Tedeev's relationship to Mamiashvili, but Dzhambolat Tedeev was the head coach of the Russian team for quite a while.  I believe he was under house arrest for a while when he tried to run for President of South Ossetia (or something like that - maybe someone else knows more?).  He lost his job as head coach, and I believe was replaced by Guseinov.  Then Guseinov was fired and Tedeev was rehired.

Sajidov is a former 2x world champion (beat Cael in 2003 finals).  He is the head coach for Dagestani wrestling.

Kerimov is a Dagestani billionaire and politician.

• 2td3nf and BigTimeFan like this

#16 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:33 AM

So would someone explain why 6 out of 8 wresters are Sajidov's and he was not permitted to go to worlds? What is the major beef? I bet he takes over the entire Russian team by next year! Seems he is the best coach and they paid dearly for excluding him.  

Edited by PRyan2012, 29 September 2017 - 12:34 AM.

#17 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:17 AM

Mamiashvili used to work in russian organized crime. a lot of ex-athletes did after the soviet union collapsed. kind of like Rocky in the first movie. he is also ethnically Georgian and was part of the crime family headed by Otari Kvantrishvili (more on him here). the soviet union and its republics were broke when it collapsed so there was no money to fund sports when Russia gained independence. so Yeltsin gave the newly constituted russian sports ministry control of the lucrative state run alcohol import/export authority. the sports ministry was supposed its authority to fund sports (duh) but because the soviet union was also hopelessly corrupt it was soon taken over by organized crime. thats where Kvantrishvili and Mamiashvili came in. It's also when this corrupt piece of garbage also started getting involved. pretty much level of russian politics has been overrun with an unconscionable level of criminality. to distract from constant theivery, Putin et al go to great lengths to prop up sports (and cheat at sports) and bribe the IOC and FIFA for event hosting rights. It's all very sad.

but anyway I digress. 

Here's a good run down of Mamiashvili. He was helping run stolen cars to Japan and the rest of Asia from Vladivostok when his boss got assassinated by a rival gang. he's not allowed to travel to most western countries because of his criminal past. He wasn't allowed to go to Vegas for the 2015 world championships. he also punched Inna Trazhukova in the face after she lost her bronze medal match in Rio. 

so yeah, that's president of the russian wrestling federation and VP of UWW! 

• PRyan2012, 2td3nf and BigTimeFan like this

#18 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Informative post Jaroslav. I heard some of this already but your post really connects more dots. Thanks.

(Don't know if it would be a good idea but would love to see a documentary on all this. Even more far fetched, how about a Sorpranos-like series on this. Willie plays a good Mamiashvili!   :D  :D)

Edited by 2td3nf, 29 September 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#19 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#20 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

Not sure why they got rid of Guseinov. He seems to be a very well respected coach. Sajidov is kept on the side while Mamiashvilli and Tedeev run the show, picking and selecting wrestlers as they see fit. I wonder what Sadulaev thinks of all this, I guess he cannot say much or he too, may find himself out of wrestling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users