• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:00 AM

We had this thread last year and it sparked a lot of comments. 

The Most Likely @ 99.9 Percent (these guys will win barring injury)

Hwt Kyle Snyder

149 Zain Train

157 Jason Nolf

75 Percent Chance

184 Bo Nickal (I'm going to get some disagreement on this pick, I am sure)

The other 25 percent can go to the field

68 Percent Chance

197 Kollin Moore

I will give the combination of Haught and Miklus 25 percent chance, 7 percent to the field

60 Percent Chance

174 Mark Hall

25 percent Zahid, 15 percent Bo Jordan

50 Percent Chance

125 Nathan Tomasello

45 percent to Nick Suriano, 5 percent to the returning champ Darian Cruz, no disrespect intended

33 Percent Chance

165 I Mar, Cenzo and Massa all get 33 percent, 1 percent goes to the field

25 Percent Chance

133 Seth Gross, Stevan Micic, and Kaid Brock all get 25 percent, the other 25 percent goes to the field

20 Percent Chance

141 Dean Heil gets the 20 percent. I checked the board rules and they require that Dean Heil be placed last in terms of his chances. 

15 percent to each of Kevin Jack, Bryce Meredith, Joey McKenna,  Jaydin Eierman and Anthony Ashnault. 5 percent to the field. 

• pish6969 likes this

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#2 rhino184

rhino184

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:20 AM

Not sure why IMar would have the same percentage as Massa and Joseph when he has only lost to them a combined one time 

#3 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:25 AM

Dean Heil is very underrated. The best at every position at 141. I think Nolf and Bo Jordan are way too high. I wouldn't put Hall at 60%, I wouldn't have him more than 10% above Zahid. With Coon at Hwy, I think Snyder is too high, a potential Coon throw is worth more than 1% if you ask me. Maybe Gross should be above 25%. I definitely can't give Brock 25% with his mat wrestling issues.

#4 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:27 AM

At 125 I give Cruz more of a chance.  If he was the same guy in March that got beat multiple times earlier, he doesn't beat Gilman.  I also think Lee/Fix have a chance if either wrestles.  For that matter I'd give Picc a chance.  Freshmen who come on hard at the end of their freshman seasons can jump as sophs.  I agree that Tomasello and Suriano are the favorites, but I'd say more like 1/3 for each and 1/3 for the rest.  I think this weight is pretty wide open.  

133 I give Micic the biggest chance.  I think Mckee gets his own chance as he's better than the rest of the field.

141 Even odds between Yianni, Jack, Meredith, McKenna, Eierman, and Ashnault. 

149 Zain all day.  

157 Nolf even more all day.  I think he's less tested than Snyder

165 I agree its the 3 big dogs with roughly equal chances.  Maybe Imar 34%.

174 I think Daniel Lewis has a shot.  He's a tough matchup for Hall.  Lewis isn't very aggressive on his feet so he's tough to counter, he's really good on top, and he's long.  I think Zahid has better than 25% at whatever weight.  I'd make Hall the favorite at like 50%.  I don't give BoJo much chance.  Maybe less than Lewis.  

184 Nickal but others are tough and Nickal leaves openings.  But 184 is a little easier than the last 2 years' meat grinder.

197 Moore all day.  Miklus is a wildcard who could use his big move style to get a goer like Moore.  Weigel could win a match he shouldn't because of matchups but can't win all of them.  Moore like 90%.

285 Snyder 100% but he'll have to work for it with Coon.  

#5 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:32 AM

Is Yianni still wrestling as a true freshman at 141?

#6 OhioSpladle

OhioSpladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:33 AM

Here are my picks right now, quote me in march.

125 Suriano

133 Brock

141 Heil

149 Retherford
157 Nolf

165 Imar

174 Valencia

184 Nickal

197 Moore

285 Snyder

#7 Frank_Rizzo

Frank_Rizzo

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:44 AM

50 Percent Chance

125 Nathan Tomasello

45 percent to Nick Suriano, 5 percent to the returning champ Darian Cruz, no disrespect intended

LOL!

• spladle08 likes this

#8 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:57 AM

Not a lot of respect for Bo Jordan. I have said this before, but Hall has a giant * next to his title in my mind in his one win over BoJo (that officiating was terrible and on par with the JO/Stieber match). BoJo is now healthy for the first time in 2 years and training hard according to Tom Ryan on the T Row and Funky podcast. He is also 2 and 0 lifetime against Lewis I believe so I'm not sure why people would think Lewis has more of a chance to win it than Bo...

I'd also put Moore slightly ahead of Bo Nickal to win it.

• stp likes this

#9 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

Not a lot of respect for Bo Jordan. I have said this before, but Hall has a giant * next to his title in my mind in his one win over BoJo (that officiating was terrible and on par with the JO/Stieber match). BoJo is now healthy for the first time in 2 years and training hard according to Tom Ryan on the T Row and Funky podcast. He is also 2 and 0 lifetime against Lewis I believe so I'm not sure why people would think Lewis has more of a chance to win it than Bo...

I'd also put Moore slightly ahead of Bo Nickal to win it.

You saying it before doesn't make it true.  There is no asterisk, only an official result you won't let go of.

If BoJo and Lewis were in a 2 man bracket then I completely agree BoJo has a better chance to win.  When you drop Hall and Valencia and others in, I think Lewis has an equal or slightly better chance of running the table.  I'd make it like 50% Hall, 40% Valencia, and the other 10% between BoJo and Lewis.

#10 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:06 AM

20 Percent Chance

141 Dean Heil gets the 20 percent. I checked the board rules and they require that Dean Heil be placed last in terms of his chances. 

15 percent to each of Kevin Jack, Bryce Meredith, Joey McKenna,  Jaydin Eierman and Anthony Ashnault. 5 percent to the field. 

So you'd give me 5:1 odds on Heil winning NCAAs?  How much am I allowed to bet? 

#11 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:44 AM

So you'd give me 5:1 odds on Heil winning NCAAs? How much am I allowed to bet?

Board tradition indicates Heil has to be the least likely to win. Using 5 percent increments I gave him the highest allowable percentage that would not have him passing anyone. I felt that was the right thing to do.
  • squeek likes this

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#12 PSUMike

PSUMike

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:00 AM

LOL!

Not sure what's funny there. I think it's completely reasonable. 

Hall is too high is Z is at 174. Bo is too high if Z is at 184. Heil should be higher as much as I want literally anyone else to win at 141. At least 50% imo. Everything else is pretty accurate imo. 

#13 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:12 AM

Board tradition indicates Heil has to be the least likely to win. Using 5 percent increments I gave him the highest allowable percentage that would not have him passing anyone. I felt that was the right thing to do.

I honestly took your "board" comment to mean the low value was half joke.  That's why in my initial list I just didn't include Heil.  Then I got bored and asked for a bet.  He's pretty hard to bet against and pretty hard to bet on.

#14 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:17 AM

Is Yianni still wrestling as a true freshman at 141?

He's listed on the roster.

#15 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

Nice thread TBar. Only disagreement I have is 165, 174 and 197.

At 165, I’d give 41% IMAR, 40% Cenzo and 10% Massa. The rest goes to field. Until Massa can prove he can beat those guys I don’t see how he higher.

174 is Hall 40%, Zahid 39%. Jordan 15%. Rest to field. Both Hall and Zahid will be stronger and the both are better actual wrestlers than Jordan. Jordan strength won’t be as much as advantage this year as both these guys stronger

At 197. If Downey wrestled here I can see him 40/40 with Moore and the rest to field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:23 AM

You have hall way too high. The most underplayed story of last year is the calls he got on his way to the title.

• pawrestler and Perry like this

#17 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

Nice thread TBar. Only disagreement I have is 165, 174 and 197.

At 165, I’d give 41% IMAR, 40% Cenzo and 10% Massa. The rest goes to field. Until Massa can prove he can beat those guys I don’t see how he higher.

174 is Hall 40%, Zahid 39%. Jordan 15%. Rest to field. Both Hall and Zahid will be stronger and the both are better actual wrestlers than Jordan. Jordan strength won’t be as much as advantage this year as both these guys stronger

At 197. If Downey wrestled here I can see him 40/40 with Moore and the rest to field.

I agree in retrospect that Massa should be lower.  I like your percentages but I wouldn't give anyone outside of those 3 a chance.

#18 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

You saying it before doesn't make it true.  There is no asterisk, only an official result you won't let go of.

If BoJo and Lewis were in a 2 man bracket then I completely agree BoJo has a better chance to win.  When you drop Hall and Valencia and others in, I think Lewis has an equal or slightly better chance of running the table.  I'd make it like 50% Hall, 40% Valencia, and the other 10% between BoJo and Lewis.

Whatever you want to say about the final having no asterisk, Bo and Hall are 1-1 head-to-head.  Really none of your analysis for the weight makes any sense to me.  One of the more puzzling takes I've seen recently. It's the top 3... a large gap... and then Lewis.  

#19 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:44 AM

I agree in retrospect that Massa should be lower. I like your percentages but I wouldn't give anyone outside of those 3 a chance.

I really believe if Marstetler has his head on straight he can wrestle with any of them. Kutler tough as well. Very strong weight

#20 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

Whatever you want to say about the final having no asterisk, Bo and Hall are 1-1 head-to-head.  Really none of your analysis for the weight makes any sense to me.  One of the more puzzling takes I've seen recently. It's the top 3... a large gap... and then Lewis.  

I may be totally wrong.  I think Lewis is good enough to be in that group.  He had Joseph beat and ran out of gas.  He has a big frame (bigger than Jordan or Hall) and I think the move up in weight will do him well.  Maybe it helps the conditioning issues.  Maybe not.  I think he matches up well with Valencia because he's long, a decent athlete, and tough on top,.  And I think he matches up well with Hall for those reasons plus he doesn't do much in neutral so there isn't much to counter.  And remember I gave him a %5 chance.

As for a top 3, I just don't see it.  I think Jordan was behind those guys last year and they were freshman (Hall a TF).  I think the gap gets bigger not smaller.  I think Valencia is an especially bad matchup for Jordan because I think he finishes takedowns on him much easier than Hall.  

If Valencia is not in the weight then I do think Jordan is a very tough matchup for Hall, even if I think Hall is better.  Without Valencia I'd give Jordan a real chance.  I just don't see him beating both guys.

Edited by boconnell, 27 September 2017 - 05:47 AM.

• pish6969 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users