• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#41 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

He was injure for 2 years straight, of course he has less matches than zain..

Mark hall has more bad losses on his record and he's only wrestled half the career matches bojo has. I expect to see him lose to an alex meyer type wrestler again this coming season at least once.

#42 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Watch Kolat vid #1. He loses his second NCAA match to the #1 ranked wrestler. Didn’t phase him one bit.

#43 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

He was injure for 2 years straight, of course he has less matches than zain..

Mark hall has more bad losses on his record and he's only wrestled half the career matches bojo has. I expect to see him lose to an alex meyer type wrestler again this coming season at least once.

If an "Alex Meyer type wrestler"
means a wrestler ranked 7th to 10th then I don't see Hall ever losing to that type wrestler in the future.
  • hammerlockthree likes this

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#44 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

If Realbuto doesn’t have an enormous brain fart in the semis and throw himself to his back, nobody is talking about Bo Jordan like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#45 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:03 AM

He was injure for 2 years straight, of course he has less matches than zain.

My comment was only about him not wrestling in their big Open event, the Cliff Keen Vegas Tournament. That event is like the first wknd of December and for the last two years he has wrestled just prior to and just after Cliff Keen, but not in the Cliff Keen. Maybe he wasn't 100 percent, but the flip side is maybe he would have lost to someone too. That is all I am saying. Maybe he would have more L's had he wrestled more top 10 wrestlers. 

He's a terrific wrestler anyway, not suggesting otherwise. Bo Jordan seems like an even better person given what I see in his interviews. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#46 PSUMike

PSUMike

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:07 AM

I think if it doesn't happen this season, Bo will definitely be in the "best to never win it" discussion. I don't see an international career for him as the US is just so deep at the weights where he could conceivably compete but going strictly off of his NCAA career, he'd be deserving if he doesn't get it this season. 

• pjm46 likes this

#47 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:08 AM

I think that you greatly overrate Bo Jordan. I'd be very interested to see an NCAA semi between Zahid and Bo and everyone's reactions afterwards.

I don't really see anyone saying Bo is going to dominate the weight.  And if that's not the assertion, how can you really overrate the guy?  He's never placed lower than 3rd. 

RE: Zahid v. Bo, if it is anything other than an extremely close bout, I would be shocked.  Zahid and Bo IMO are very close.  Seems like you're thinking Zahid wins by 2+ takedowns.  I'd say it's 50/50.  I'd be willing to place a friendly wager if you give me Bo +2 pts. 

#48 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:13 AM

Not a lot of respect for Bo Jordan. I have said this before, but Hall has a giant * next to his title in my mind in his one win over BoJo (that officiating was terrible and on par with the JO/Stieber match). BoJo is now healthy for the first time in 2 years and training hard according to Tom Ryan on the T Row and Funky podcast. He is also 2 and 0 lifetime against Lewis I believe so I'm not sure why people would think Lewis has more of a chance to win it than Bo...

I'd also put Moore slightly ahead of Bo Nickal to win it.

Would you go back in time and put a Giant * next to Larry Owings Title when he beat Danny Gable because Gabe did not know he was double jointed and was able to get out of some of Gable's pet riding and control holds?

You win on the mat - no matter what the ref does.

#49 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:27 AM

Would you go back in time and put a Giant * next to Larry Owings Title when he beat Danny Gable because Gabe did not know he was double jointed and was able to get out of some of Gable's pet riding and control holds?

You win on the mat - no matter what the ref does.

Of course there's no literal asterisk.  Nobody says the 16-0 Patriots won the Super Bowl because Tyree makes a miracle grab off of his helmet.  Nobody says Golden State won the finals because Draymond got suspended for one too many low blows.  There's a million examples. 

BUT, when prognosticating results for the following season, or considering power rankings, why would you not take a questionable decision into account?  Mark Hall won the NCAA title, that's not in dispute. But the point is that if you're actually watching what's happening, it should be taken into account.  

• boconnell likes this

#50 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

I don't really see anyone saying Bo is going to dominate the weight.  And if that's not the assertion, how can you really overrate the guy?  He's never placed lower than 3rd. 

RE: Zahid v. Bo, if it is anything other than an extremely close bout, I would be shocked.  Zahid and Bo IMO are very close.  Seems like you're thinking Zahid wins by 2+ takedowns.  I'd say it's 50/50.  I'd be willing to place a friendly wager if you give me Bo +2 pts. 

For a friendly wager I'd give you Bo +2 points.  And if I'm totally wrong and Bo wins I will voluntarily and happily put a very proBo sig on my profile.  I'm not rooting against him, just making partially informed guesses in a preseason thread.  

#51 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

I think he's being given a bigger chance to win than is realistic. Just because he was in the mix last year with true freshman Hall doesn't mean he's going to be this year. Hall is in a different talent bracket than Bo. I think Zahid is too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hall beat him handily this season. If he wrestles Zahid, I can see it getting really bad for him. I think Zahid is capable of giving him the biggest loss of his career. I don't see "extremely close" being in the cards. I definitely do not see an NCAA title for Bo.

Your wager sounds good. Find me when NCAAs come around.
  • pjm46 likes this

#52 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

The concept of "barring injury" is 100% accurate with the initial post.  There is 99.9% certainty that Snyder, Zain and Nolf will win it all.  For those to not understand this is not living in reality.  

Snyder has 0.1% chance of losing to Coon... big throw is the only chance Coon has, otherwise, total decimation. 

Zain will have gained even more confidence from his World Championships visit, and is going to be an absolute nightmare his senior tour.

Nolf is Nolf, and quite frankly, has even greater upside than what we've seen because his style is so "funky".  He will not lose, barring some crazy circumstance. 

#53 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

I don't think Nolf is a 99% guy. I could see Kemmerer being a worthy challenger this year. I wouldn't be shocked by an upset. The Nolf we've seen thus far is at least a level below Retherford and Snyder. His competition makes him appear better than he actually is imo.

#54 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

I don't think Nolf is a 99% guy. I could see Kemmerer being a worthy challenger this year. I wouldn't be shocked by an upset. The Nolf we've seen thus far is at least a level below Retherford and Snyder. His competition makes him appear better than he actually is imo.

I agree he's way below Snyder and below Retherford as well.  Especially in a comparison like this since his style is more prone to an upset.  

But I think Kemerrer is a level below Coon or Sorenson.  Nobody is touching Nolf this year.  

#55 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

I agree he's way below Snyder and below Retherford as well.  Especially in a comparison like this since his style is more prone to an upset.  

But I think Kemerrer is a level below Coon or Sorenson.  Nobody is touching Nolf this year.

I thought that Iowa should have strongly considered putting Sorenson at 157, and Kemmerer at 149, last year. A risk, but it could have resulted in two finalists. I think Sorenson vs Nolf could have been very competitive. Things change fast with guys this young, so even if that was true last year, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is true this year. I'm interested in seeing the development of Nolf and Kemmerer this season. Nolf, on paper, should run away with it, but I can't see myself being shocked if he loses.

#56 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Nolf has two 1 pt losses to James Green, the senior world silver medalist. He'd major Sorenson easily.

#57 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

I would actually agree with steamboat charlie and take Bo Jordan +2 vs Zahid. Zahid wrestles defensively against top level guys so I would feel good predicting a 1 td match. Bo can ride Zahid too. And on bottom Bo isn't great on bottom, but Zahid isn't great on top.

Edited by TBar1977, 28 September 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#58 bigmik

bigmik

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Nolf has two 1 pt losses to James Green, the senior world silver medalist. He'd major Sorenson easily.

If he didn't already lose to Green, you'd probably be saying that he'd beat Green. Green put his foot on the gas the last time they wrestled after building up a comfortable lead iirc. He was also handled by Kennedy, a guy who just recently moved into the weight class. Also, Mark Hall soundly defeated him. I like Nolf, but when the elites gather, he usually isn't the one getting his hand raised in the championship match. As of last year, I think Sorenson would have given him a really tough match.

A hydrated Zahid can score plenty. I think one-hour-weigh-in Zahid wrestles more defensively. I thought he would move up to 184 this year due to his bigger frame. If Zahid vs Bo happens, I'd like to see it in an NCAA semi-final.

Edited by bigmik, 28 September 2017 - 11:42 AM.

#59 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

mik, imo Nolf is still a freestyle novice. The fact he is already within 1 pt of Green speaks volumes, so if wrestles free full time I think he would eventually beat Green.

#60 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

I take Mark Hall as a safe favorite over both Bo Jordan and Zahid Valencia if he were to actually fill out the weight. He was clearly undersized last year, but is on a different level technically than both of them.   If he stays undersized, I think it's a safe 1/3 split, but realistically 1/2 1/4 1/4 depending on the seedings at NCAAs.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users