• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

I think so. I’m not saying Hall or Nickal couldn’t beat him but I’m putting money on him to not lose for the next three years.

#162 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

126 - NaTo and Fix top tier. Slight edge to NaTo. Next up Cruz and Suriano

133 - No clue, it needs to sort itself out.

141 - Heil is underrated, curious how rule change affects things. Jack, Meridith.... then Yanni(?)

149 - Zain

157 - Nolf 

165 - Imar slightest edge over Massa and Cenzo

174 - Zahid and Hall pick-em 

184 - Nickal (if Zahid goes up he gets the nod)

197 - Moore

HT - Lb for Lb

#163 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

I'm not sure why people interact with bigmik as much as they do on these forums. It's like banging your head against a brick wall..

#164 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

What dumbass?

I just saw this and it made me laugh. The guy that can’t figure out simple forum etiquette calls me a dumbass. I bet you’re really tough or maybe really small and want to act really tough. My guess, you’re about 5’6 and got made fun of a lot.

Edited by rcoates1, 12 November 2017 - 08:27 AM.

#165 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

I'm not sure why people interact with bigmik as much as they do on these forums. It's like banging your head against a brick wall..

So you were 100% wrong in this thread and your take away is that bigmik is the worst?  I'm not disagreeing that bigmik is mostly terrible when it comes to arguing, I just find it hilarious you bring it up in a thread where you were dead wrong and he was dead right.

Edited by boconnell, 12 November 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#166 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

Joe's trying to get HOF post count. I'm hoping I get an Honorary HOF post Mortem. I'm never gonna make 10k. Been posting since Y2K

Never say never.

#167 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:46 AM

Not a lot of respect for Bo Jordan. I have said this before, but Hall has a giant * next to his title in my mind in his one win over BoJo (that officiating was terrible and on par with the JO/Stieber match). BoJo is now healthy for the first time in 2 years and training hard according to Tom Ryan on the T Row and Funky podcast. He is also 2 and 0 lifetime against Lewis I believe so I'm not sure why people would think Lewis has more of a chance to win it than Bo...

I'd also put Moore slightly ahead of Bo Nickal to win it.

BoJo would probably have been an NCAA champ most years at this weight. Thing is Hall AND Valencia are both significantly more talented AND more athletic than BoJo. With his experience I'd give him a chance against Hall or Zahid, though. But not more than 20% or so, probably, against either one.

What gets me is guys saying Zahid could "easily" win 184. I've seen that a lot this offseason. I guess those people must've forgotten soon to be 3 time NCAA champ Bo Nickal.

#168 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:13 AM

BoJo would probably have been an NCAA champ most years at this weight. Thing is Hall AND Valencia are both significantly more talented AND more athletic than BoJo. With his experience I'd give him a chance against Hall or Zahid, though. But not more than 20% or so, probably, against either one.

What gets me is guys saying Zahid could "easily" win 184. I've seen that a lot this offseason. I guess those people must've forgotten soon to be 3 time NCAA champ Bo Nickal.

I believe Zahid has head to head wins over Bo Nickal...

#169 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:58 AM

Im sure someone else has said this, but Im too lazy to look so, 

Id say Gross is in the 75%+ column. 

• WrestlingFan89 likes this

#170 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

hey how about Bo wins his 2nd before we guarantee he wins 3. also didn't Bo get his biggest victory to date (and 1st title) over another guy who was a lock to win his 3rd title? Never know how it will play out. 

#171 PSUMike

PSUMike

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

There are 3 tiers imo:

L-words

Zain

Nolf

Snyder

Favorites

Moore (80%)

Nickal (67%)

IMar (50%)

Toss ups

Zahid (45%)

Tomasello (45%)

Heil (40%)

Gross (35%)

Rationale

125 - Tomasello still has to deal with Suriano who will be his main competition. There are a few dark horses but these are the clear front runners.

133 - Gross had a nice breakout year this past season. He's long for the weight and good everywhere. But at the end of the day, I think he's among the least battle tested of the front runners. Micic and Brock have good shots at beating him and Parker is a darkhorse. I wouldn't sleep on McKee either even though his game is more free than folk. 

141 - Heil is Heil for better or for worse. With the new ruleset being a ding to his style and the shark tank that is 141, I can't give him a high percentage even though he consistently gets it done. Don't sleep on Eierman though. I think he has the best shot at dethroning Heil.

149 - L-word

157 - L-word

165 - Yes, IMar is my front runner. Yes, I'm a Penn State alum. I know. But let's look at facts. IMar has 2 titles under his belt and is 2-1 against Cenzo. Simply put, Cenzo wrestled out of his mind at NCAAs this year and a repeat is unlikely. Unfortunately, ranking sites have recency bias and automatically give a returning champ the #1 ranking when in certain instances, it's not warranted. Cruz shouldn't have been ranked above Suriano to start the year just like Cenzo shouldn't have been ranked above IMar. It's a 3 dog race but IMar has the best resume and the H2H edge. Can't pick against him. 

174 - Zahid's size and aggression is tough for Hall and we saw what he did to Jordan. Hall has a strong shot if he can create scrambles but the edge goes to Z. Jordan has a slim chance to play spoiler if the stars align. 

184 - Bo's style makes him a handful for anyone but it also leaves him vulnerable. Martin has 2 wins over him in 6 meetings. 67% is reasonable. 2 horse race. If MyMar takes one of his patented head-scratcher losses at NCAAs, Bo walks through the field. 

197 - You have strong wrestler at the top of a weak weight. Haught might give him problems but I don't think anyone else will nor will I hold my breath thinking he will. He's the safest of the tier-2 guys. Moore's relentless neutral game will wear out even the best guys. 

HWT - L-word

• treep2000 likes this

#172 Old_Marine_Wrestler

Old_Marine_Wrestler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Hall is just as much a favorite at 174 as Valencia.

They are 1-1 against each other in very tight matches.

In a dual, Zahid may have an edge. 3 days of pulling weight at NCAAs likely negates any edge Zahid has against Hall.

And Heil will win his 3rd title, too.

I like NIke but wait a minute, the sport supports so put some money in it

#173 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:56 AM

133 - Gross had a nice breakout year this past season. He's long for the weight and good everywhere. But at the end of the day, I think he's among the least battle tested of the front runners. Micic and Brock have good shots at beating him and Parker is a darkhorse. I wouldn't sleep on McKee either even though his game is more free than folk. 

The kid had a national title in his hands last season before he completely blew it. (Very gutsy match by Clark, not taking anything away from him)

The first time he wrestled Brock it was a 1 point match. Every time since the I believe it has at least been a 5 point gap.

He majored Micic in the first match of the year. 

Parker was getting Dominated before Brock essentially fell to his back. (Not taking anything away from Parker. He won the match)

McKee hasnt been close to Gross yet, at least not in Folk. 

I dont understand how there has been any indication of anyone being close to him at this point, lol. 

#174 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hall is just as much a favorite at 174 as Valencia.

They are 1-1 against each other in very tight matches.

In a dual, Zahid may have an edge. 3 days of pulling weight at NCAAs likely negates any edge Zahid has against Hall.

And Heil will win his 3rd title, too.

3 days of cutting weight is a problem, but if it's a finals match, he has all day to recover and he might never make 174 again.  So he cuts hard for 3 days and is affected by it, but probably weighs 190 for the match.  I don't think the weight cut hurts him unless he gets a really hard quarterfinal match Friday AM.

And if you watch those 2 matches and say true 50/50 then there's not much to say other than I disagree.  

#175 PSUMike

PSUMike

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:37 AM

I dont understand how there has been any indication of anyone being close to him at this point, lol. 

You answered your own question right here:

The kid had a national title in his hands last season before he completely blew it. 

#176 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:40 AM

Bad name for a thread. Everybody is discussing the favorites...but NOBODY is talking about the LEAST likely to win a title. I was looking forward to a list of the worst starting wrestlers in D1, and you guys let me down :(

#177 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:49 AM

You answered your own question right here:

I dont agree - last year he didnt blow clark or Nato out of the water earlier in the season, the only two who were even close to him. There is a difference. This year he's demolished everyone who was previously considered "close" to his level. 

Edited by iGranby, 16 November 2017 - 05:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users