Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

State without an NCAA Champion?

I’m surprised that there are none from Georgia or West Virginia. Many great HS wrestlers are from there. I thought Carr family are from Kentucky? I thought KEntucky would claim Mark Hall as Michigan and Minnesota does.

Edited by Buckeyebison

... was the first wrestler from ... to win an NCAA Title.

How about other States?

How many have never had a wrestler win it all?

Alabama

Alabama

No love for NCAA Division II ??  I missed that as a qualifying part of the question.

This is probably as close as we'll get.

NCAA Division II

1982 Gary Erwin (150, Jacksonville State University) - NCAA DII National Champion

1981 Gary Erwin (150, Jacksonville State University) - NCAA DII National Runner-Up

1976 Turner Jackson (158, University of Tennessee-Chattanooga) - NCAA DII National Champion

1975 Turner Jackson (158, University of Tennessee-Chattanooga) - NCAA DII National Champion

...unless you count Cary Kolat...who, depending on your source, may or may not have been born in Alabaster, Alabama before moving north...

I’ve always gone by where the athlete designates their “hometown” on their college roster — Mark Hall lists his hometown as “Apple Valley, Minn.” so for records purposes, he’s from Minnesota. Nickal lists Allen, Texas ... so he’s from Texas.

I’ve always gone by where the athlete designates their “hometown” on their college roster — Mark Hall lists his hometown as “Apple Valley, Minn.” so for records purposes, he’s from Minnesota. Nickal lists Allen, Texas ... so he’s from Texas.

That makes sense.   

That said, I have no doubt wrestling talk in some smokey bar in Kentucky this past March included tales of a young Mark Hall tearing up the Kentucky mats as a prep, but unable to win their prestigious state meet.  It didn't stop him from winning numerous state titles in Minnesota, the NCAA title at Penn State, and even multiple world medals representing USA.  But Kentucky, that one always eluded him.         

That makes sense.

That said, I have no doubt wrestling talk in some smokey bar in Kentucky this past March included tales of a young Mark Hall tearing up the Kentucky mats as a prep, but unable to win their prestigious state meet. It didn't stop him from winning numerous state titles in Minnesota, the NCAA title at Penn State, and even multiple world medals representing USA. But Kentucky, that one always eluded him.

I find it very hard to believe wrestling is discussed in Kentucky at all in March.

But what if a guy spent his entire life in one state then as a senior in high school moved. Ruth’s kid brother just moved down to Maryland. If his guardian stays there and he wrestles for Lock Haven next year, and their roster has him hailing from Maryland, would that count for Maryland?

But what if a guy spent his entire life in one state then as a senior in high school moved. Ruth’s kid brother just moved down to Maryland. If his guardian stays there and he wrestles for Lock Haven next year, and their roster has him hailing from Maryland, would that count for Maryland?

He isn't in college yet. When he goes to college if that's where the family lives that's what Jason (I used to do it as did Bob Dellinger before me) would count. As to what you want to put up here on the forum, there aren't any real rules for this.

He isn't in college yet. When he goes to college if that's where the family lives that's what Jason (I used to do it as did Bob Dellinger before me) would count. As to what you want to put up here on the forum, there aren't any real rules for this.

The only correct way to count this is to go by the location on the birth certificate.  Otherwise, states could simply bid against each other for the right to claim elite wrestlers as their own.  What's the point of an Alaskan winning if the person isn't actually form Alaska, but was paid by a rich mogul in the state to "move" there and put it down as his residence?

And I mean long form birth certificate.  Not the easily forged short form.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

The only correct way to count this is to go by the location on the birth certificate.  Otherwise, states could simply bid against each other for the right to claim elite wrestlers as their own.  What's the point of an Alaskan winning if the person isn't actually form Alaska, but was paid by a rich mogul in the state to "move" there and put it down as his residence?

And I mean long form birth certificate.  Not the easily forged short form.  

According to Hoyle! What can I say?

... I thought Carr family are from Kentucky? ...

Blasphemy!

https://carrwrestlingcamp.weebly.com/about.html

http://content.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=26862

From the Jimmy Carr obituary link above:

"Jimmy Carr, the youngest Olympian in U.S. wrestling history, has passed away at age 58.

Carr died on Thursday afternoon in his hometown of Erie, Pa. following complications from an automobile accident.

Carr wrestled in the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich Germany, while still in high school as a 17-year-old.

Carr was a Junior World champion and also made a Senior World Team for the United States in freestyle wrestling. At age 16, Carr placed sixth at the 1971 Senior World Championships at 114.5 pounds.

Carr Is part of the famous Carr wrestling family from Erie. He was one of 16 kids in the family. All nine boys wrestled and five were NCAA All-Americans.

Jimmy was an All-American for Kentucky, placing fifth at the 1977 NCAA Championships at 126 pounds.

Jimmy Carr's younger brother, Nate, was a three-time NCAA champion for Iowa State and won a bronze medal at the 1988 Olympic Games."

Edited by lu_alum