Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

wrestling have the problems NCAA basketball is now

What scout or shoe seller would pay assistants to steer kids to schools to wrestle?

A few crazy fans or supporters maybe but that is about it.

What sports agent would pay a wrestling coach to influence a wrestler? Doubt even a Burroughs or Snyder would be on their list.

What scout or shoe seller would pay assistants to steer kids to schools to wrestle?

What sports agent would pay a wrestling coach to influence a wrestler? Doubt even a Burroughs or Snyder would be on their list.

Wrestling isn't as important as basketball.  

The FBI got involved because of bribery and money laundering.  It is possible there are situations where a wrestler might be getting some money under the table (though I'd be amazed if it was a common practice even at the big schools) but that would be from boosters, not from agents or from companies who have to make that money disappear from the ledger.

I don't recall anyone in many years who was able to roll Carl over and stick him there.

Not saying he'd be the one doing the rolling over. I'm saying someone rolling over on him lol aka ratting him out. Only joking tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This whole FBI investigation is seriously blowing up in the face of college basketball. So many big name programs and players are being implicated. What will happen?

It's not like the NCAA will abolish basketball or punish all the guilty parties (even though they should), because that would effectively get rid of just about everyone. But there are records of coaches, agents, and reps literally handing large sums of money to players and their families.

I enjoy college basketball but this is ridiculous. Maybe now would be a good time to demand that schools divert a portion of basketball's funding and reallocate that money to wrestling and other non-revenue sports while they try to get a handle on this crisis. That might be very wishful thinking, but this whole thing looks like it's headed towards a "everyone is guilty, so instead of sanctions we should just allow revenue sports athletes to be paid" solution, which might end up being detrimental to wrestling.

Just thinking out loud.

It's a shame much of the college experience has become about money. Whether it's with sports like basketball and football but also many of our universities has become nothing more than diploma factories where kids never fail out and get worthless degrees just so they can say they have one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yah, ESPN aired the story last night and dropped another set of allegations with a whole bunch of teams earlier. Arizona is screwed. Sean Miller is screwed. His coaching career is done. BUT the buyout on his contract, even if he's fired with cause, is close to $10.5M so he'll walk away happy I guess. That's infuriating.

Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas, MSU, Louisville, Texas, Alabama, USC and LSU were also named in the FBI probe. ESPN says that up to three dozen programs may get busted once the investigation is over. I know a lot of fans like to hate on the NCAA but if the individual programs and conferences fail in ethics and compliance, who else is going to do it? 

There's been some stuff that was brought up here about the RTC model and college wrestling. I hope that's all done above board and cleanly. Wrestling would be far less resilient to a huge ethics scandal than basketball or football.

BUT the buyout on his contract, even if he's fired with cause, is close to $10.5M so he'll walk away happy I guess. That's infuriating.

I would expect there are limitations on the buyout clause related to criminal activity. He'll say it's not a crime this will go to court and the buyout offer will be substantially lowered and become a "confidential settlement". At least that's my guess. 

Even so the NCAA will take a serious hit here and a few teams will get punished. They have to make the public believe they are doing something.   

Edited by Zebra

This whole FBI investigation is seriously blowing up in the face of college basketball. So many big name programs and players are being implicated. What will happen?

It's not like the NCAA will abolish basketball or punish all the guilty parties (even though they should), because that would effectively get rid of just about everyone. But there are records of coaches, agents, and reps literally handing large sums of money to players and their families.

I enjoy college basketball but this is ridiculous. Maybe now would be a good time to demand that schools divert a portion of basketball's funding and reallocate that money to wrestling and other non-revenue sports while they try to get a handle on this crisis. That might be very wishful thinking, but this whole thing looks like it's headed towards a "everyone is guilty, so instead of sanctions we should just allow revenue sports athletes to be paid" solution, which might end up being detrimental to wrestling.

Just thinking out loud.

bribing (or participating in such) someone who works at a public university (or government etc) is a bit bigger deal than just an NCAA infraction.  The FBI involvement and the bribing or accepting a bribe is generally going to result in time, unless plea bargain to catch the bigger fish.  Those caught in such don't get to simply move on to another job or university as is generally the case with NCAA infractions.  And don't think reallocating they money has anything to do with this nor would likely be a result.  

Is this a Penn State thread?

bribing (or participating in such) someone who works at a public university (or government etc) is a bit bigger deal than just an NCAA infraction.  The FBI involvement and the bribing or accepting a bribe is generally going to result in time, unless plea bargain to catch the bigger fish.  Those caught in such don't get to simply move on to another job or university as is generally the case with NCAA infractions.  And don't think reallocating they money has anything to do with this nor would likely be a result.  

Great point. There are a lot of coaches identified in the investigation, which could end up being a whole bunch of people who might be going to prison. I wonder if it will play out with the Sean Miller taking a really hard fall on behalf of college basketball and the FBI making an example of him, or Miller dishing dirt so the FBI can take down other programs, or even ASM Sports.

I still hope this means some athletics dollars can somehow be reallocated for wrestling and other sports if a bunch of basketball programs take a fall (no pun), but I'm not holding my breath.

The FBI got involved because of bribery and money laundering.  It is possible there are situations where a wrestler might be getting some money under the table (though I'd be amazed if it was a common practice even at the big schools) but that would be from boosters, not from agents or from companies who have to make that money disappear from the ledger.

Yeah for instance a wrestler shows up to do a clinic at a high school for fre...I mean a fee...nope not extra scratch being given there

I would expect there are limitations on the buyout clause related to criminal activity. He'll say it's not a crime this will go to court and the buyout offer will be substantially lowered and become a "confidential settlement". At least that's my guess.

Even so the NCAA will take a serious hit here and a few teams will get punished. They have to make the public believe they are doing something.

Most contractual separation agreements can be voided when the person is fired for cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when scandals like these come to light with bball (and football). I'm almost ok with wrestling being a little niche sport. Seems a little more in line with amateurism and the whole student athlete thing,

then again, being only a little niche sport contributes to the vulnerability of programs and the sports existence at college level as a whole