Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Hodge Trophy Contenders (link)

Agreed. Robles dominated the 2011 field which included a returning National champ. Just out of curiosity how do you feel Robles would have done in freestyle? Seeing how in neutral his opponents try to avoid making direct contact with him I see him completely controlling the center of the mat, being incredibly difficult to takedown, almost impossible to push out,and being able to turn virtually anyone. Would have loved to see him in the international circuit.

i am not as current with the freestyle rules. I don't know how passivity, etc was being officiated at the time Robles would have been competing internationally. If he stayed down on the ground in the middle of the mat and just waited for the other wrestler to come to him, I am not sure what would happen if he other wrestler didn't engage. It would have been interesting. His disadvantage in free as compared to folk would be not having a guarenteed start on top, and limited time for a turn in par terre Edited by jchapman

i am not as current with the freestyle rules. I don't know how passivity, etc was being officiated at the time Robles would have been competing internationally. If he stayed down on the ground in the middle of the mat and just waited for the other wrestler to come to him, I am not sure what would happen if he other wrestler didn't engage. It would have been interesting. His disadvantage in free as compared to folk would be not having a guarenteed start on top, and limited time for a turn in par terre

I believe the wrestler who does not control the center of the mat is called for passivity, but I could be wrong as freestyle rules change so frequently. But if that is the case most of Robles opponents woukd keep their distance in folk when in neutral. They wouldn't be able to do this in free. Again i could be wrong as im not completely aware of freestyle rules but I would imagine once scoring a takedown Robles would be a monster in turning opponents with a gutwrench...

The controlling the center part is a bit of a misnomer. It is only a small part of negating passivity. You still need to be attempting to initiate contact and creating offense. If you are down in a tripod position defending the mat, that really isn't controlling the center. It is more like defending it. I

True.

So the Hodge trophy gets a consolation prize of a now meaningless award. Not one athlete or coach in the NCAA could beat Snyder, but he didn't wrestle enough?

Olympic Champ isn't a criteria for the Hodge. lol

The award is meaningless as you stated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's interesting to read all these comments. I created the Hodge Trophy in 1995 with two main purposes -- to put more emphasis on the pin and to create more public attention for the sport. The award may not be perfect in the way it is voted on and who wins it, but it has certainly been successful in its two main goals.  Nearly one million fans have seen the Hodge Trophy presented in person, at the annual wrestling banquet and again that fall at a football game. Some of the sports information offices at the various schools where wrestlers are in contention for the award have posted videos and sent out press releases, both before and after the voting. Many of the winners have said that winning the Hodge Trophy was one of their top goals upon entering college. Various members of the media, including the AP, call it "the Heisman Trophy of wrestling" and when I have the trophy on display at the WIN Show and various other events I go to, high school wrestlers and coaches are very excited to see it and many ask to have their photos taken with it. In addition, one of the finest companies that supports wrestling, Asics, thinks enough of the award to become the presenting sponsor. Sure, fans can debate all day if certain wrestlers should have won -- just like with the major league MVP awards or the Heisman -- but I firmly believe the top two goals in creating the Hodge Trophy have been accomplished. -- Mike Chapman

It's interesting to read all these comments. I created the Hodge Trophy in 1995 with two main purposes -- to put more emphasis on the pin and to create more public attention for the sport. The award may not be perfect in the way it is voted on and who wins it, but it has certainly been successful in its two main goals.  Nearly one million fans have seen the Hodge Trophy presented in person, at the annual wrestling banquet and again that fall at a football game. Some of the sports information offices at the various schools where wrestlers are in contention for the award have posted videos and sent out press releases, both before and after the voting. Many of the winners have said that winning the Hodge Trophy was one of their top goals upon entering college. Various members of the media, including the AP, call it "the Heisman Trophy of wrestling" and when I have the trophy on display at the WIN Show and various other events I go to, high school wrestlers and coaches are very excited to see it and many ask to have their photos taken with it. In addition, one of the finest companies that supports wrestling, Asics, thinks enough of the award to become the presenting sponsor. Sure, fans can debate all day if certain wrestlers should have won -- just like with the major league MVP awards or the Heisman -- but I firmly believe the top two goals in creating the Hodge Trophy have been accomplished. -- Mike Chapman

IMO, fans debating if certain wrestlers should have won is just another proof that the Hodge brings more attention to the sport.  And, as to your comment that the award may not be perfect in the way it is voted on and who wins it; what award system is perfect?  After all, controversy is no stranger to sports - and it usually spurs even more spirited debate among the fans.

With regard to the above, I think forum members would be interested in learning more about the evolution of the Hodge Award selection procedure.  In earlier years, posters would often refer to the "Hodge Committee," which was presumed (rightfully or wrongfully) to be you and the WIN magazine staff.  Now, it appears the selection system has evolved to be more like that used for the Heisman - with voting by the media, past winners, and fans.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the above.   Something along the lines of "How Hodge Trophy Voting Works" today (see link below) - and how that may have changed since the inaugural award in 1995.  Thanks in advance for any information you may choose to provide.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/12/how_heisman_trophy_voting_works.html

Long thread but does anyone really believe Zain will not dominate the Hodge voting again with Snyder leading the 2nd group being a distant 2nd. Snyder will be Hodge less just like my boy Varner. Unless Zain gets beat in a major upset-that is the only way.  

Long thread but does anyone really believe Zain will not dominate the Hodge voting again with Snyder leading the 2nd group being a distant 2nd. Snyder will be Hodge less just like my boy Varner. Unless Zain gets beat in a major upset-that is the only way.  

You are probably right, but for most of last year Bo Nickal and Jason Nolf (as well as the graduated Gabe Dean) were right there with Zain in terms of dominance, so don't count them out either. 

The Sullivan Award has been given out to the nation's best amateur athlete since 1930. More athletes are in the running for the award than the Hodge award. Kyle Snyder was a finalist for the award last year. No other wrestler was considered.

Congrats to Snyder.  However that has nothing to do with the Hodge.

It will be Suriano. Will go undefeated, pin all but two of his opponents in season, will pin his way through the NCAA tournament and then turn to Cael and smile.

Not a Rutgers fan, but I'd probably enjoy that :D I like Cael, but he needs to be humbled ever now and again.

I didn't know any D2 or lower guys ever won. Who were you thinking of? The HWT from Pittsburgh (can't think of his name, 6 time NCAA champ).

as has been mentioned on this thread already D3 Ackerman shared with Cael one year. Also NAIA Wilson won it another year. UPJ great Haselrig did not win it, the award wasn't around during his day.  

as has been mentioned on this thread already D3 Ackerman shared with Cael one year. Also NAIA Wilson won it another year. UPJ great Haselrig did not win it, the award wasn't around during his day.  

Ah, I missed that about Ackerman. Tks. Yup, it was Haselrig I was thinking of.