Sign in to follow this  
rhill3

Skretkowicz resigns as VMI's head wrestling coach

ugh

viable candidates when search commences after this season? maybe Yetzer would be interested in moving up 81 and to D1, but he is building a nice thing at Ferrum and might have no interest in leaving. anyone else come to mind? 

rhill3 when you say future of program I hope you aren't hearing rumors that the program might be in danger of going away.  

Edited by KTG119

Quitting this close to the season is wrong.

There is never a good time to leave.

He has been at VMI for 11 years. It wasn't like he flaked out and left after a few months or one season.

You sometimes have to make the most of your opportunities. Now someone else will get the opportunity to lead a D1 program this season.

I’m an old fashioned guy. Opportunities will always be there. The interim Coach Lavorato is excellent. But, the timing stinks. The coach at Muhlenberg College just did the same thing.

Guess looking out for #1 is the new mantra.

Opportunities will always be there.

This is not necessarily true, and family often plays a role in these types of situations. The timing is not great, but none of us can know the whole story. I imagine the decision to leave at this point was not undertaken lightly. Yes, it would look better if this happened in June, but the opportunity he is taking probably wasn't there in June. 

This is not necessarily true, and family often plays a role in these types of situations. The timing is not great, but none of us can know the whole story. I imagine the decision to leave at this point was not undertaken lightly. Yes, it would look better if this happened in June, but the opportunity he is taking probably wasn't there in June.

Lots of theories abound about stuff we don’t know. Nichols, Gable, Lorenzo, Seay, Turner, Parker, Koll, Chesboro, Keen, Robinson....never would have abandoned their teams on short notice. Patton, Eisenhower, MacArthur, Custer, Nimitz, were willing to die with their guys!

Yupp, I get the opportunity thing but I think it’s an excuse.

Anyway, I hope VMI’s former coach achieves great things and successfully provides for his family.

Lots of theories abound about stuff we don’t know. Nichols, Gable, Lorenzo, Seay, Turner, Parker, Koll, Chesboro, Keen, Robinson....never would have abandoned their teams on short notice. Patton, Eisenhower, MacArthur, Custer, Nimitz, were willing to die with their guys!

Anyway, I hope VMI’s former coach achieves great things and successfully provides for his family.

This is a bad take.

Don't compare wrestling to war.

Wow, like most here, I was repelled by the ugly attitudes of one poster here, glad to see everyone is calling him out on it.  Comparing a college sport to warfare pretty much disqualifies the poster from ever having any credibility.  Let's look at the coach first, though.  Jason B and KTG probably know the details of VMI and its athletic budget better than I, but I doubt the head wrestling coach position pays enough to support a family - most likely this individual had to also teach, or coach other sports, or had other duties.  VMI is not a school with massive resources.  And what kind of conversations might this coach have with the AD?

1) Hey, boss, you know my son has a heart problem, the docs say now they need to see him at UVA 3 times a week.  That drive from Lexington gets rough in the winter with the snow and ice, and we got a good job offer in town there, I had to take it.  (this one comes from my brother's h.s. track coach one spring - I grew up about 80 min from UVA.  When the coach got the team together and got choked up talking about his son... Well, no one faulted him for taking a job at UVA).

2) Hey, boss, I've told you about my wife's dad, has terrible Alzheimer's, well now her mom is in a wheelchair herself, and my wife wants to be there and we found a job close to them... or

3) I'm a selfish jerk who doesn't care about anyone else.

Most of us past the age of 10 have encountered all of these scenarios, and without knowing more about the circumstances around Coach S, it takes a real horse's rear end to condemn the man.  But since we're talking about big name coaches at schools with lots of dollars...

Harold Nichols dropped Arkansas State for the big bucks at Iowa State - pretty disloyal, wouldn't you say?  But karma...

His prize pupil, Dan Gable shocked the world when he left ISU on short notice in 1972, Dan wasn't willing to wait for his turn...  More ISU karma...

Jim Gibbons leaves on short notice in 1992(?), but...

Bobby Douglas leaves Arizona State in the lurch, they've never been the same since.  Karma...

Douglas gets shoved aside for the latest wunderkind, Cael Sanderson, in 2002.  We know how that turned out.  Meanwhile...

J Robinson abandons Dan Gable in the middle of the dynasty years - why, if he just waited a year or two or ten, Dan would have handed him the job.  Did this Robinson guy ever pay his dues - what was he doing while Gable was prepping for the Olympics?

And good old Joe Seay, he got the most storied wrestling program the death penalty - I wonder if guys like Alan Fried were OK with that.

All these guys are great coaches and great men, from what I know of them.  They're human, though, did things that may have had negative impact on their athletes.  But no, I want to get a cheap shot in at a guy from a tiny school with miniscule resources.

And do NOT get me started on the military analogies.  (By the way, all of the military heroes named above had career incidents like the ones listed for these coaches - actually far worse, given the stakes.)  ResiliteMarine, I'll go out on a limb and guess you served in the Corps?  Don't hold it against me, I've always been Army, on the reserve side now, passed 21 years this spring.  I never went near direct combat, probably will not at this point, although the world is still a chaotic place.  When I see or hear blowhards go on about their military idols and try to say, see, I'm a tough guy, too, first question is: did you ever raise your hand and take that oath, "I solemnly swear to defend..."  If you have, we'll talk, if you never did - don't ever try to go down that road again. 

Wow, like most here, I was repelled by the ugly attitudes of one poster here, glad to see everyone is calling him out on it. Comparing a college sport to warfare pretty much disqualifies the poster from ever having any credibility. Let's look at the coach first, though. Jason B and KTG probably know the details of VMI and its athletic budget better than I, but I doubt the head wrestling coach position pays enough to support a family - most likely this individual had to also teach, or coach other sports, or had other duties. VMI is not a school with massive resources. And what kind of conversations might this coach have with the AD?

1) Hey, boss, you know my son has a heart problem, the docs say now they need to see him at UVA 3 times a week. That drive from Lexington gets rough in the winter with the snow and ice, and we got a good job offer in town there, I had to take it. (this one comes from my brother's h.s. track coach one spring - I grew up about 80 min from UVA. When the coach got the team together and got choked up talking about his son... Well, no one faulted him for taking a job at UVA).

2) Hey, boss, I've told you about my wife's dad, has terrible Alzheimer's, well now her mom is in a wheelchair herself, and my wife wants to be there and we found a job close to them... or

Most of us past the age of 10 have encountered all of these scenarios, and without knowing more about the circumstances around Coach S, it takes a real horse's rear end to condemn the man. But since we're talking about big name coaches at schools with lots of dollars...

Harold Nichols dropped Arkansas State for the big bucks at Iowa State - pretty disloyal, wouldn't you say? But karma...

His prize pupil, Dan Gable shocked the world when he left ISU on short notice in 1972, Dan wasn't willing to wait for his turn... More ISU karma...

Bobby Douglas leaves Arizona State in the lurch, they've never been the same since. Karma...

Douglas gets shoved aside for the latest wunderkind, Cael Sanderson, in 2002. We know how that turned out. Meanwhile...

J Robinson abandons Dan Gable in the middle of the dynasty years - why, if he just waited a year or two or ten, Dan would have handed him the job. Did this Robinson guy ever pay his dues - what was he doing while Gable was prepping for the Olympics?

And good old Joe Seay, he got the most storied wrestling program the death penalty - I wonder if guys like Alan Fried were OK with that.

All these guys are great coaches and great men, from what I know of them. They're human, though, did things that may have had negative impact on their athletes. But no, I want to get a cheap shot in at a guy from a tiny school with miniscule resources.

And do NOT get me started on the military analogies. (By the way, all of the military heroes named above had career incidents like the ones listed for these coaches - actually far worse, given the stakes.) ResiliteMarine, I'll go out on a limb and guess you served in the Corps? Don't hold it against me, I've always been Army, on the reserve side now, passed 21 years this spring. I never went near direct combat, probably will not at this point, although the world is still a chaotic place. When I see or hear blowhards go on about their military idols and try to say, see, I'm a tough guy, too, first question is: did you ever raise your hand and take that oath, "I solemnly swear to defend..." If you have, we'll talk, if you never did - don't ever try to go down that road again.

Sorry that you guys live in a bubble and obviously belong to the “me #1 generation.” BTW, screw the freshmen that went to VMI for this coach.

Wow, like most here, I was repelled by the ugly attitudes of one poster here, glad to see everyone is calling him out on it. Comparing a college sport to warfare pretty much disqualifies the poster from ever having any credibility. Let's look at the coach first, though. Jason B and KTG probably know the details of VMI and its athletic budget better than I, but I doubt the head wrestling coach position pays enough to support a family - most likely this individual had to also teach, or coach other sports, or had other duties. VMI is not a school with massive resources. And what kind of conversations might this coach have with the AD?

1) Hey, boss, you know my son has a heart problem, the docs say now they need to see him at UVA 3 times a week. That drive from Lexington gets rough in the winter with the snow and ice, and we got a good job offer in town there, I had to take it. (this one comes from my brother's h.s. track coach one spring - I grew up about 80 min from UVA. When the coach got the team together and got choked up talking about his son... Well, no one faulted him for taking a job at UVA).

Most of us past the age of 10 have encountered all of these scenarios, and without knowing more about the circumstances around Coach S, it takes a real horse's rear end to condemn the man. But since we're talking about big name coaches at schools with lots of dollars...

Harold Nichols dropped Arkansas State for the big bucks at Iowa State - pretty disloyal, wouldn't you say? But karma...

His prize pupil, Dan Gable shocked the world when he left ISU on short notice in 1972, Dan wasn't willing to wait for his turn... More ISU karma...

Bobby Douglas leaves Arizona State in the lurch, they've never been the same since. Karma...

Douglas gets shoved aside for the latest wunderkind, Cael Sanderson, in 2002. We know how that turned out. Meanwhile...

J Robinson abandons Dan Gable in the middle of the dynasty years - why, if he just waited a year or two or ten, Dan would have handed him the job. Did this Robinson guy ever pay his dues - what was he doing while Gable was prepping for the Olympics?

All these guys are great coaches and great men, from what I know of them. They're human, though, did things that may have had negative impact on their athletes. But no, I want to get a cheap shot in at a guy from a tiny school with miniscule resources.

And do NOT get me started on the military analogies. (By the way, all of the military heroes named above had career incidents like the ones listed for these coaches - actually far worse, given the stakes.) ResiliteMarine, I'll go out on a limb and guess you served in the Corps? Don't hold it against me, I've always been Army, on the reserve side now, passed 21 years this spring. I never went near direct combat, probably will not at this point, although the world is still a chaotic place. When I see or hear blowhards go on about their military idols and try to say, see, I'm a tough guy, too, first question is: did you ever raise your hand and take that oath, "I solemnly swear to defend..." If you have, we'll talk, if you never did - don't ever try to go down that road again.

When you go for your next job interview, make sure you tell your prospective boss that you really don’t give a darn about him and his company and you will quit at a time regardless of the impact on his company. Also tell him that there is no such thing as loyalty and gratitude in your life. BTW, are you aware that at several NWCA leadership conferences hero Marines were brought in to speak to coaches about leadership? Those guys know what honor is!

You sound like a Bernie Sanders supporter.

Not worth my breath to type up a long response, but I agree that gowrestle is a tool.  Coaching is a job, and people do in fact leave their jobs for a variety of reasons, including better opportunities.  Its the way things work in the western world.  When you have someone who has been at a job for a long time there is rarely a "good" time to leave

Didn't Dresser leave right before the end of the season last year at V-Tech?  I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but it was the right one for him, and life will go on for V-tech.  I can't imagine Skretkowicz was making much of a living coaching a at a program with zero money and zero resources.  Probably he was looking to get out and into a more stable job for a while.  What was he supposed to do, limit his job search to the 3 months out of the year when it would be "convenient" for students and the administration?

Get over yourself man

Dan Gable shocked the world when he left ISU on short notice in 1972, Dan wasn't willing to wait for his turn...  More ISU karma...

Dan had been waiting an ISU did not step up. Iowa did. When ISU found out they ran over to get him to change his mind but Danny told them "I gave them my word, we shook on it" - and the rest is history.

Gery Kurdlemeier at Iowa did not let any grass grow under his feet in making contact with Danny and Iowa as well as all of NCAA wrestling witnessed the results.

ISU had their chance and blew it.