Burroughs wrestling for Iranian Club...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Jon_Kozak

Jon_Kozak
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Just saw this article from twitter...Essentially it says JB will wrestle for the Iranian club Bimeh Razi in the World Clubs Cup.

Not sure of the validity but has a US wrestler every represented a foreign club in this event before? I know it's a new...2013 or 2014 was first year right?

If it does happen, I'm sure JB is going to have a good payday.     

#2 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

Is he getting paid by an Iranian club? Is that legal given our lack of diplomatic relations with the country?

#3 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:05 AM

Is he getting paid by an Iranian club? Is that legal given our lack of diplomatic relations with the country?

I think as an individual there generally wouldn't be any issues, but I'm not an expert on CISADA prohibitions. 

#4 cbg

cbg

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

Just follow the $$$$.  The only motivation is a large sum of money.

#5 neutralposition

neutralposition

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:11 AM

I fully understand when a club funds an athlete all year they are truly members of that club.  What this sounds like, and in reading the article on the link, is a club is going out and buying some hired guns from all over the world for this one event.  IMO, that does not keep in line with the idea of a team for a club championships, but if it is allowed in the rules of the event so be it.

#6 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

Didn't TMWC have a hired gun on their championship team last year?
  • JHRoseWrestling likes this

#7 wrestfan

wrestfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:46 AM

The Iranian clubs believes that's almost a done deal. they are also trying to get Sadulaev for their 2nd foreigner spot.

#8 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:59 AM

Are Iranian teams similar to or different than U.S. clubs such as Sunkist, Titan Mercury or NYAC, in that their support is primarily financial and not a true club in the sense that the athletes live and train there?

#9 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:38 AM

Several women (Adeline Gray among them) wrestled in an Indian league in the past.  Germany has a pro league and brings a number of foreign stars for its rosters (I remember Czech World Champ Jozef Loyhna competed in Germany and some Turks as well).

• stp likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#10 wrestfan

wrestfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

Are Iranian teams similar to or different than U.S. clubs such as Sunkist, Titan Mercury or NYAC, in that their support is primarily financial and not a true club in the sense that the athletes live and train there?

There are so many "true clubs" in Iran but those who participated in local league or World Club Championships are not really like that, they just have money and gather some good wrestlers for the tournament, those wrestlers train and live with these clubs in period of the competition (and few weeks before that)

Actually in Iran most wrestlers leave their own club and train in the national camp in Tehran when they get invited to the national team.

• Tofurky likes this

#11 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

Just saw this article from twitter...Essentially it says JB will wrestle for the Iranian club Bimeh Razi in the World Clubs Cup.

Not sure of the validity but has a US wrestler every represented a foreign club in this event before? I know it's a new...2013 or 2014 was first year right?

If it does happen, I'm sure JB is going to have a good payday.     

Ilyas Bekbulatov will too, i hope 

• Cletus_Tucker likes this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#12 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,408 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

Kinda like the idea of Burroughs competing in an Iran event and spreading some International love. He gets a lot of love from the country so should take advantage of that support and show them some love too. Great chance for diplomacy. Just not sure I like the set up of this one though.

Not sure I like the idea of a "Club" hiring outside studs to represent them in an event. Don't really care who is doing it but if they persons not on your regular roster of competitors for the past year they probably shouldn't represent you in a major club competition if they are from your country or from another one. I get other clubs have done this before but I just don't like calling it a club event if they have people that haven't even been on your club for anything before. If it's an all-star event then just say it's county vs country or a team vs a team. If your calling it a Club event then it should be a club vs a club it hired guns.

Also, not sure I'm a fan of Burroughs agreeing to be on an Iranian team that will likely face a US based team (Titan Mercury) for the title. JB could turn the tides enough to actually give the Iran team the win over a US team. Sure it's not his club, but when it comes to it helping another countries team beat an American team just doesn't seem right.

Edited by MadMardigain, 05 October 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#13 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

If JB gets injured wrestling on behalf of Iran it will certainly turn some heads.

#14 Tony_Rotundo

Tony_Rotundo

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Kinda like the idea of Burroughs competing in an Iran event and spreading some International love. He gets a lot of love from the country so should take advantage of that support and show them some love too. Great chance for diplomacy. Just not sure I like the set up of this one though.

Not sure I like the idea of a "Club" hiring outside studs to represent them in an event. Don't really care who is doing it but if they persons not on your regular roster of competitors for the past year they probably shouldn't represent you in a major club competition if they are from your country or from another one. I get other clubs have done this before but I just don't like calling it a club event if they have people that haven't even been on your club for anything before. If it's an all-star event then just say it's county vs country or a team vs a team. If your calling it a Club event then it should be a club vs a club it hired guns.

Also, not sure I'm a fan of Burroughs agreeing to be on an Iranian team that will likely face a US based team (Titan Mercury) for the title. JB could turn the tides enough to actually give the Iran team the win over a US team. Sure it's not his club, but when it comes to it helping another countries team beat an American team just doesn't seem right.

In this format I think you are allowed to have a couple wrestlers outside your club to fill in your line-up. Last year TMWC had Vladimir Khinchegashvili as their 61kg when they won. 

http://www.flowrestl...zi#.WdcW2RNSyRs

Tony Rotundo
Photographer/Editor
WrestlersAreWarriors.com
AthletesAreWarriors.com
Facebook: Tony C. Rotundo

#15 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

This is fantastic.   The legend of Burroughs grows even more if this happens.  For a world power like Iran to recruit him and sign him as a ringer for their club is something out of a movie.   If they get Sadulaev as well,  TMWC has some work to do.   They better get Dake, and they had better shore up any match up issues they may anticipate quickly.    Shame Russia doesn't seem to show much interest in this.   The squad they could probbaly assemble is scary.  

Pico to Russia!   

#16 Jon_Kozak

Jon_Kozak
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:28 AM

I hope it becomes a sure thing.

If we didn't have the World Cup, I'd want all the teams to be from the same country. However, scenarios like this add intrigue to the event and increasing value to the sports best individuals.

#17 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:36 AM

This is why guys like Burroughs, Snyder, Schultz are the best. Follow the money. Where is the money coming from in these Iranian and Indian leagues? It is some serious cash!

Edited by PRyan2012, 06 October 2017 - 12:37 AM.

#18 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:22 AM

He's not wrestling for Iran, he's wrestling for a private club and paycheck. To say he's wrestling "for Iran" is to say Kevin Durant plays basketball "for California" or that David Beckham played soccer "for the United States" when was on the LA Galaxy. It doesn't make any sense when applied to any other situation, we are just so overtly nationalistic when it comes to wrestling due to the structure of our championship events. This is a good thing as it puts us closer to a worldwide professional wrestling league. Good for Burroughs! 

Edited by superbowlhomeboy, 06 October 2017 - 01:22 AM.

• pamela and Housebuye like this

#19 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,423 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:33 AM

Cool idea but might be affected by likely upcoming USA sanctions on Iran though.

#20 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:52 AM

man, people are losing their minds over this on social media. this event is about as removed from politics as you can get. neither the event nor the teams are representing any country or government. where are the "stick to sports" people when you need them?

all this is is a chance for Burroughs to make some money and wrestle in from of a bunch of rabid fans from a foreign country. and if Burroughs' team ends up wrestling against Titan Mercury, root for TMWC until JB's match, then just enjoy the match. 

it's a big win for everyone. 

• Buckxell, pamela, Eagle26 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users