Jon_Kozak

Burroughs wrestling for Iranian Club...

Just saw this article from twitter...Essentially it says JB will wrestle for the Iranian club Bimeh Razi in the World Clubs Cup.

Not sure of the validity but has a US wrestler every represented a foreign club in this event before? I know it's a new...2013 or 2014 was first year right?

If it does happen, I'm sure JB is going to have a good payday.     

I fully understand when a club funds an athlete all year they are truly members of that club.  What this sounds like, and in reading the article on the link, is a club is going out and buying some hired guns from all over the world for this one event.  IMO, that does not keep in line with the idea of a team for a club championships, but if it is allowed in the rules of the event so be it.

Are Iranian teams similar to or different than U.S. clubs such as Sunkist, Titan Mercury or NYAC, in that their support is primarily financial and not a true club in the sense that the athletes live and train there?

Several women (Adeline Gray among them) wrestled in an Indian league in the past.  Germany has a pro league and brings a number of foreign stars for its rosters (I remember Czech World Champ Jozef Loyhna competed in Germany and some Turks as well).

Are Iranian teams similar to or different than U.S. clubs such as Sunkist, Titan Mercury or NYAC, in that their support is primarily financial and not a true club in the sense that the athletes live and train there?

There are so many "true clubs" in Iran but those who participated in local league or World Club Championships are not really like that, they just have money and gather some good wrestlers for the tournament, those wrestlers train and live with these clubs in period of the competition (and few weeks before that)

Actually in Iran most wrestlers leave their own club and train in the national camp in Tehran when they get invited to the national team.

Just saw this article from twitter...Essentially it says JB will wrestle for the Iranian club Bimeh Razi in the World Clubs Cup.

Not sure of the validity but has a US wrestler every represented a foreign club in this event before? I know it's a new...2013 or 2014 was first year right?

If it does happen, I'm sure JB is going to have a good payday.     

Ilyas Bekbulatov will too, i hope 

Kinda like the idea of Burroughs competing in an Iran event and spreading some International love. He gets a lot of love from the country so should take advantage of that support and show them some love too. Great chance for diplomacy. Just not sure I like the set up of this one though.

Not sure I like the idea of a "Club" hiring outside studs to represent them in an event. Don't really care who is doing it but if they persons not on your regular roster of competitors for the past year they probably shouldn't represent you in a major club competition if they are from your country or from another one. I get other clubs have done this before but I just don't like calling it a club event if they have people that haven't even been on your club for anything before. If it's an all-star event then just say it's county vs country or a team vs a team. If your calling it a Club event then it should be a club vs a club it hired guns.

Also, not sure I'm a fan of Burroughs agreeing to be on an Iranian team that will likely face a US based team (Titan Mercury) for the title. JB could turn the tides enough to actually give the Iran team the win over a US team. Sure it's not his club, but when it comes to it helping another countries team beat an American team just doesn't seem right.

Edited by MadMardigain

Kinda like the idea of Burroughs competing in an Iran event and spreading some International love. He gets a lot of love from the country so should take advantage of that support and show them some love too. Great chance for diplomacy. Just not sure I like the set up of this one though.

Not sure I like the idea of a "Club" hiring outside studs to represent them in an event. Don't really care who is doing it but if they persons not on your regular roster of competitors for the past year they probably shouldn't represent you in a major club competition if they are from your country or from another one. I get other clubs have done this before but I just don't like calling it a club event if they have people that haven't even been on your club for anything before. If it's an all-star event then just say it's county vs country or a team vs a team. If your calling it a Club event then it should be a club vs a club it hired guns.

Also, not sure I'm a fan of Burroughs agreeing to be on an Iranian team that will likely face a US based team (Titan Mercury) for the title. JB could turn the tides enough to actually give the Iran team the win over a US team. Sure it's not his club, but when it comes to it helping another countries team beat an American team just doesn't seem right.

In this format I think you are allowed to have a couple wrestlers outside your club to fill in your line-up. Last year TMWC had Vladimir Khinchegashvili as their 61kg when they won. 

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/48938-2016-world-clubs-cup-final-titan-mercury-vs-bimeh-razi#.WdcW2RNSyRs

This is fantastic.   The legend of Burroughs grows even more if this happens.  For a world power like Iran to recruit him and sign him as a ringer for their club is something out of a movie.   If they get Sadulaev as well,  TMWC has some work to do.   They better get Dake, and they had better shore up any match up issues they may anticipate quickly.    Shame Russia doesn't seem to show much interest in this.   The squad they could probbaly assemble is scary.  

Pico to Russia!   

I hope it becomes a sure thing.

If we didn't have the World Cup, I'd want all the teams to be from the same country. However, scenarios like this add intrigue to the event and increasing value to the sports best individuals.

He's not wrestling for Iran, he's wrestling for a private club and paycheck. To say he's wrestling "for Iran" is to say Kevin Durant plays basketball "for California" or that David Beckham played soccer "for the United States" when was on the LA Galaxy. It doesn't make any sense when applied to any other situation, we are just so overtly nationalistic when it comes to wrestling due to the structure of our championship events. This is a good thing as it puts us closer to a worldwide professional wrestling league. Good for Burroughs! 

Edited by superbowlhomeboy

man, people are losing their minds over this on social media. this event is about as removed from politics as you can get. neither the event nor the teams are representing any country or government. where are the "stick to sports" people when you need them?

all this is is a chance for Burroughs to make some money and wrestle in from of a bunch of rabid fans from a foreign country. and if Burroughs' team ends up wrestling against Titan Mercury, root for TMWC until JB's match, then just enjoy the match. 

it's a big win for everyone. 

Is he getting paid by an Iranian club? Is that legal given our lack of diplomatic relations with the country?

There have been US players playing for Iranian basketball teams for years, and up to a few weeks ago, the assistant coach for the national soccer team was a US citizen

The two governments can hate each other all they want, but they cannot get in the way of the common interests that the two nations

http://iransportspress.com/burroughs-ready-to-wrestle-for-iranian-club-bimeh-razi/

https://en.qantara.de/content/documentary-feature-the-iran-job-us-basketball-player-as-cultural-diplomat

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/there-no-better-ambassador-football-meet-us-soccer-coach-iran-f8C11473538

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wholeheartedly support him in this endeavor.  He's a great ambassador for the sport and will no doubt represent wrestling and our nation with the utmost class and dignity.  If he can bank some cash in this limited window remaining in his competitive career, the more power to him.  He might even in some small way help relations between our governments.  Very little downside besides the possibility of injury, but he risks that training here (as evidenced by his horrific ankle injury a few years back).  Rock on, JB.

We had a few of our female wrestlers compete for teams in the Indian league a year or two ago.  Seemed to be good for them and I don't remember anyone objecting to that.  We need to support any positive opportunity that our top wrestlers get that helps them continue competing at a high level and puts money in their pockets.