• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:56 AM

I think it's pretty awesome.  The Iranians are great fans and they love JB.  

• Coach_J likes this

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#22 irani

irani

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:13 AM

Is he getting paid by an Iranian club? Is that legal given our lack of diplomatic relations with the country?

There have been US players playing for Iranian basketball teams for years, and up to a few weeks ago, the assistant coach for the national soccer team was a US citizen

The two governments can hate each other all they want, but they cannot get in the way of the common interests that the two nations

http://iransportspre...lub-bimeh-razi/

https://en.qantara.d...ltural-diplomat

https://www.nbcnews....ran-f8C11473538

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Coach_J and Jaroslav Hasek like this

#23 irani

irani

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:14 AM

I think it's pretty awesome. The Iranians are great fans and they love JB.

JB will be received by the fans the way a superstar like him deserves to be received.

• Coach_J, Eagle26, Jaroslav Hasek and 1 other like this

#24 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:38 AM

I wholeheartedly support him in this endeavor.  He's a great ambassador for the sport and will no doubt represent wrestling and our nation with the utmost class and dignity.  If he can bank some cash in this limited window remaining in his competitive career, the more power to him.  He might even in some small way help relations between our governments.  Very little downside besides the possibility of injury, but he risks that training here (as evidenced by his horrific ankle injury a few years back).  Rock on, JB.

• JHRoseWrestling, pamela, Jaroslav Hasek and 1 other like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#25 wrestlingshoe

wrestlingshoe
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:22 AM

We had a few of our female wrestlers compete for teams in the Indian league a year or two ago.  Seemed to be good for them and I don't remember anyone objecting to that.  We need to support any positive opportunity that our top wrestlers get that helps them continue competing at a high level and puts money in their pockets. 

Do not pray for an easy life; pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. --Bruce Lee

#26 manyak

manyak

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:53 AM

I hope this becomes the norm. Our wrestlers deserve to wrestle in front of large, passionate crowds and to be paid for doing so.

• GoNotQuietly likes this

#27 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

I think it's cool. 

Like another poster already pointed out, the World Cup will have the athletes with their respective countries. This is club tournament. 

And speaking of World Cup, sure hope Team Iran will compete in Iowa to defend their championship title.  

Edited by 2td3nf, 06 October 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#28 irani

irani

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

And speaking of World Cup, sure hope Team Iran will compete in Iowa to defend their championship title.  

Not sure team iran will be coming to the US soon,if president Trump is successful with his latest ban.  Based on Iran's performance in the last championship, they might not qualify for the world cup, but if they do, and if the US does not issue visas to Iran, then I expect they will move the world cup to another country that is willing to issue visas on all the competing countries

#29 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Not sure team iran will be coming to the US soon,if president Trump is successful with his latest ban.  Based on Iran's performance in the last championship, they might not qualify for the world cup, but if they do, and if the US does not issue visas to Iran, then I expect they will move the world cup to another country that is willing to issue visas on all the competing countries

Hopefully if this happens then they'll indeed move the world cup.

#30 RetiredPoster

RetiredPoster

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

Several women (Adeline Gray among them) wrestled in an Indian league in the past.  Germany has a pro league and brings a number of foreign stars for its rosters (I remember Czech World Champ Jozef Loyhna competed in Germany and some Turks as well).

Frank Chamizo wrestled for a German club in the Bundesliga.

#31 CA_Wrestler

CA_Wrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

Didn't TMWC have a hired gun on their championship team last year?

Vladimer Khinchegashvilli was filling in a spot for the US at 61kg.

#32 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:14 AM

It would be pretty disgusting if UWW put Iran into the world cup through background dealings after they didn't finish top 8. Rules are rules. 

• Cletus_Tucker and wrestfan like this

#33 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:37 AM

Shiraz123, on 09 Oct 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

It would be pretty disgusting if UWW put Iran into the world cup through background dealings after they didn't finish top 8. Rules are rules. 

That's fine. If the qualifying 8 teams want to and can host full squads at the World Cup so be it. The rules are the rules.

But Iran is the defending (3x) World Cup champs and they were next in line placing 9th at the World Championships in Paris. If Cuba or one of the other countries don't field a team, would love to see Iran participate in Iowa.

#34 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

JB will be received by the fans the way a superstar like him deserves to be received.

I think this is really cool. I just wish most of the USA would treat him like a superstar too!

Side note... I saw the same club is having Tsabolov wrestle for them too... Wouldn't that be a little awkward?

#35 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

no it would't. 

#36 wrestfan

wrestfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

I think this is really cool. I just wish most of the USA would treat him like a superstar too!

Side note... I saw the same club is having Tsabolov wrestle for them too... Wouldn't that be a little awkward?

as far as I know Tsabolov will wrestle for them only in Iranian league. they will go for someone else for the World Club Champs.

#37 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

Disgusting... I don't think so.  There should probably be a rule auto-qualifying the previous year's champion into the competition anyway.  Iran has shown that they take the World Cup very seriously--the same can't be said for everyone else.  Not inviting them hurts the event from a competition standpoint, spectator standpoint, and prestige standpoint.  

• 2td3nf likes this

#38 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:34 AM

it would probably be the most disgusting thing UWW has ever done. robbing Kazakhstan of their hard earned World Cup spot. You know those Kazakhstani wrestlers had the world cup on their mind as they fought and scraped for every point. now to have Iran literally steal that glory from them? I'm going to be sick. 

#39 wrestfan

wrestfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

Apparently it didn't work between them and Burroughs won't wrestle for Bimeh Razi Club.

#40 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

Apparently it didn't work between them and Burroughs won't wrestle for Bimeh Razi Club.

What happened? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users